Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Worcester's 2nd try

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worcester's 2nd try
    Posted: 14 November 2009 at 9:13pm
I am told that the player who touched down was not off side as he was standing "in goal" and you cannot be offside whilst standing in the in goal area. Is that correct?

If so, does this apply at all times or only for charged down kicks?

What happened was:

Newton ( playing flyhalf by then) received the ball deep ingoal from a set piece and had his kick charged down. The ball actually continued forward (from a scarlet point of view) to Maule who was stood on or near the tryline. He also attempted a clearance kick which was also charged down. The ball bounced to the Worcs player who had charged the first kick down and he fell on it to score the try. He was well in front of Maule (from a Worcs point of view) when he kicked the ball and thus looked to be offside.
Sponsored Links

scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 10:08pm

11.1 OFFSIDE IN GENERAL PLAY

(a) A player who is in an offside position is liable to penalty only if the player does one of three things:
• Interferes with play or,
• Moves forward, towards the ball or
• Fails to comply with the 10-Metre Law (Law 11.4).
A player who is in an offside position is not automatically penalised.
A player who receives an unintentional throw forward is not offside.
A player can be offside in the in-goal.

11.2 BEING PUT ONSIDE BY THE ACTION OF A TEAM-MATE

In general play, there are four ways by which an offside player can be put onside by actions of that player or of team mates;
(a) Action by the player. When the offside player runs behind the team-mate who last kicked, touched or carried the ball, the player is put onside. 

(b) Action by the ball carrier. When a team-mate carrying the ball runs in front of the offside player, that player is put onside. 

(c) Action by the kicker or other onside player. When the kicker, or team-mate who was level with or behind the kicker when (or after) the ball was kicked, runs in front of the offside player, the player is put onside. 

(d) When running forward, the team-mate may be in touch or in touch-in-goal, but that team-mate must return to the playing area to put the other player onside.

11.3 BEING PUT ONSIDE BY OPPONENTS

In general play, there are three ways by which an offside player can be put onside by an action of the opposing team. These three ways do not apply to a player who is offside under the 10-Metre Law.
(a) Runs 5 metres with ball. When an opponent carrying the ball runs 5 metres, the offside player is put onside. 

(b) Kicks or passes. When an opponent kicks or passes the ball, the offside player is put onside.  

(c) Intentionally touches ball. When an opponent intentionally touches the ball but does not catch it, the offside player is put onside. 

This is a complicated law, with many outcomes.
I didn't see the incident, but from what i hear, the ball was charged down, but then touched in flight by a Scarlets player, thus playing the Warrior Onside. Law 11.3 (c)

Edited by scarletman - 14 November 2009 at 10:09pm
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
Laugharney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laugharney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 10:20pm
I do not recall the ball beig touched in flight by a Scarlets player. It seems strange that there is not automatically  a "video ref" in all games at a certain level - eg the anglo welsh cup. I think that the same thing happened in the london Irish game in the European Cup - the ref could not refer to a third officil because the game was not televised, either you use technology in all games or you don't
Alun View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 1:48pm
My instinct was: ONSIDE.

I ran through this in my head several times last night after seeing it and yes, I believe he was onside. But also, I don't think the ref had a clue what he was doing to be honest.
Cartref newydd, Stadiwm newydd, Penod newydd, Yr un freuddwyd.

"Does na unman yn debyg i adra, ond mae adra'n debyg iawn i 'chdi."

All statements-My opinions
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 7:03pm
I think "REWARDING POSITIVE PLAY" was the lions share of that decision, I think Rosie had to stop & think whether he had a TMO to refer to, which in all the other competitions he officiates at now, it is generally the norm. Also, he would have taken a few seconds to consult with both Assistant Referees.
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic