Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Llanelli

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Llanelli
    Posted: 19 December 2012 at 11:12am
I didn't want to comment in the other thread about Llanelli, I think it deserves a topic of its own.

No offence Sal, but I really do take exception to your view of Llanelli. Yes there is a drug problem, like every other town in the UK. Also there probably are many teenagers with multiple parteners. However I believe that the way the kids are brought up by their parents has a massive bearing on the way they turn out.
You make Llanelli sound like some third world country, yes there are rough areas but it certainly is not the town that you are trying to make out on this forum.
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Sponsored Links

lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 11:14am
I will never slate my town,,,, it is what you make it.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 11:18am
Originally posted by redeyes redeyes wrote:

I didn't want to comment in the other thread about Llanelli, I think it deserves a topic of its own.

No offence Sal, but I really do take exception to your view of Llanelli. Yes there is a drug problem, like every other town in the UK. Also there probably are many teenagers with multiple parteners. However I believe that the way the kids are brought up by their parents has a massive bearing on the way they turn out.
You make Llanelli sound like some third world country, yes there are rough areas but it certainly is not the town that you are trying to make out on this forum.
good post
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 11:22am
there are massive problems in Llanelli Ian,

Methadone is a massive issue in Llanelli, top in Wales and 4th highest in the UK!! Alarming stats.

maybe I'm seeing things from the outside and that is the difference. coming from where I am, all that concerns people down here is how big the waves are today, there's just very little pressure on children down here, the usual thing for them to do is go down the beach and have a bbq....

Newquay has issues as well, with the amount of weed here, but not to the point where I feel that there is quite seriously an issue starting to emerge in Llanelli where a generation is being lost to the methadone culture.

you also add the degradation of the emergency services to Carmarthen and Llanelli's outlook as a vibrant town is slowly being brought to it's knees by the health boards and emergency services.

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 11:24am
Would people say they think the centre of town has gone downhill over the last decade? There always seems to have been an extra couple of shops closed or replaced by pound stores in each of my fleeting visits back. I do feel nostalgic for the town of my youth, but I haven't spent enough time in Llanelli recently to comment further.

However, my opinion of Swansea has definitely dropped year-by-year - I can honestly say Sheffield is a far, far nicer city.

Edited by dr_martinov - 19 December 2012 at 11:30am
rolly View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 11:32am
Quite often I drive around other towns and think thank god I live in Llanelli . Neath , port Talbot , Pontypridd come to mind .
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 11:40am
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Methadone is a massive issue in Llanelli, top in Wales and 4th highest in the UK!! Alarming stats.

maybe I'm seeing things from the outside and that is the difference. coming from where I am, all that concerns people down here is how big the waves are today, there's just very little pressure on children down here, the usual thing for them to do is go down the beach and have a bbq....

Newquay has issues as well, with the amount of weed here, but not to the point where I feel that there is quite seriously an issue starting to emerge in Llanelli where a generation is being lost to the methadone culture.

you also add the degradation of the emergency services to Carmarthen and Llanelli's outlook as a vibrant town is slowly being brought to it's knees by the health boards and emergency services.

OTT again.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 11:45am
your opinion Rap, but you are not looking in though..

I'm looking at the differences between say Truro and Llanelli, both have the same level of population, although I would say Truro is way more affluent than Llanelli, it has nowhere near the same problems that Llanelli has.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 11:50am

I'm looking at the differences between say Truro and Llanelli, both have the same level of population, although I would say Truro is way more affluent than Llanelli, it has nowhere near the same problems that Llanelli has.
yes, there is a drug problem in llanelli, but to say a generation is being lost to a methadone culture is OTT.
drugs are not exclusive to llanelli by any means, but you make it sound like all of llanelli's youths are out taking drugs and committing crime. it's really not like that
Jonesyboy1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jonesyboy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 11:50am
As someone who returns home about twice a year and has been away for 30 years here is my opinion:

I see some really good attempts to reinvent the town with the demise of the large industries - the coastal park area being really tastefully developed and I know they involved some really good people in this development. I still see the beauty of  Swiss Valley reservoir, Parc Howard and the beach and the more recent bird centre. I see lots more people walking and cycling than ever did in my day - clearly enjoying the fantastic coastal scenery, which is great. My memories of these wonderful areas are still fresh. I see people making an effort and trying to leave things better than they found them!

I had the wonderful experience of being back stage at the Glenn when all the great bands appeared; as I speak I can remember opening bottles of lager for the late Les Gray the Lead Singer of Mud as he blasted out Tiger Feet (number one at the time) to a rocking Llanelli crowd! The drummer Dave Mount gave me his drum sticks and kissed my forehead as he left stage after an amazing night; the sticks are in front of me now as I type. It might be a good thread for oldies to reminisce about those days.

I also remember some wonderful (but clearly grim) pubs that I frequented on weekly senseless pub crawls, where the town centre was basically pissed from Thursday night to Sunday night.

On the other hand, I now see the monstrosity that is Trostre Retail Park; and I think these parks rip the soul out of town centres and Llanelli is no exception.  I'm not convinced Parc Y Scarlets was the solution either (although it's great) as i would have thought it would have made sense to move it further West if anything - nearer its Western fan base!

I believe an effort is being made to regenerate the town centre a bit, which I welcome. 

I don't know enough about the drugs issue to make an informed comment, but I live in one of the richest most beautiful  towns in England and it is certainly not drug free!

Two sides referee!
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 11:55am
Originally posted by rap columbo rap columbo wrote:

yes, there is a drug problem in llanelli, but to say a generation is being lost to a methadone culture is OTT.
drugs are not exclusive to llanelli by any means, but you make it sound like all of llanelli's youths are out taking drugs and committing crime. it's really not like that

of course drugs aren't exclusive to llanelli, but when llanelli tops the list of methadone usage in Wales and 4th in the UK then you are stating that it's not that bad hey...

hate to see bad then....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 12:00pm

of course drugs aren't exclusive to llanelli, but when llanelli tops the list of methadone usage in Wales and 4th in the UK then you are stating that it's not that bad hey...

hate to see bad then....
no, i am not saying that it isn't bad. you are making out that every young person is out of work and high on drugs. it's not like that.
can i have a link to these figures? i assume that it goes by percentage of population rather than actual numbers of people on methadone?
geordie scarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geordie scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 12:06pm
On the subject of Methadone, it,s only prescribed to people who have medically sought help for their addiction..others take Heroin, that is surely a bigger problem

Lot worse places in this world than Llanelli believe me, some better one,s as well and stats can show up anything you want, especially when you have a small population to start with  
Toontotown challenges have now raised £101,321 for charity www.toontotown.co.uk

You cant buy Scarlet culture........You have to breed Scarlet culture
Proud member of Herman Tours
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 12:07pm
Here's a link to the claim that Llanelli is a hub for Meow Meow use in the UK:

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Swansea-Llanelli-hotspots-meow-meow-use-danger/story-17167236-detail/story.html
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 12:11pm

hate to see bad then....
no, i am not saying that it isn't bad. you are making out that every young person is out of work and high on drugs. it's not like that.
can i have a link to these figures? i assume that it goes by percentage of population rather than actual numbers of people on methadone?

There's the welsh bit. looking for the bit about 4th in the UK

redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 12:13pm

I am not denying there is an issue with drugs in Llanelli. I am also sticking to my point that the way kids are brought up by their parents will affect how they turn out (i know thats not always the case). I am also sticking to my point that you are exaggerating how bad the town is as a whole.
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic