Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Confirmed: Barclay to Edinburgh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_RICHARDS_94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confirmed: Barclay to Edinburgh
    Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:27pm

Scotland captain John Barclay has agreed to join Edinburgh from Scarlets from next season.

The back-row, 31, has been with the Welsh region since leaving Glasgow Warriors in 2013, and captained them to the Pro12 title last year.

Capped 64 times by Scotland, Barclay will bring a wealth of experience to a side that has placed no higher than eighth in the last six league seasons.

Edinburgh are expected to formally announce his signing next week.

Writer for The Rugby Club
Sponsored Links

T_RICHARDS_94 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_RICHARDS_94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:28pm
I'm pretty confident we wouldn't allow him to leave without a replacement already lined up. Moriarty?
Writer for The Rugby Club
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:31pm
Cant blame him for the choice, at 31 maybe his last important contract, he did, and will do, for us and important job...tnx for all
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:31pm
Gutted by this. Up there with Lyons and King as the best NWQ signings we’ve ever made in my book.
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:37pm
Very sorry to see him go. Hopefully with another trophy (or 2) under his belt and a big Flower of Scotland sending off.

All the best to him.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:38pm
It's no surprise though, as I have posted on numerous occasions, he had said that he would return to Scotland in an interview a while ago
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:44pm
gutted, be sorry to see John leave, been a fantastic player for us - please hope there is some good news on the way...
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:44pm
Very disappointed, but not surprised.  Top bloke, he deserves success.  I guess Edinburgh is a better place to live and bring up kids in many ways than Llanelli.

Local talent is they way to go for us or non British NWQ's.

We rebuilt Barclay and discovered Beirne...at least we won the Pro 12.

Edited by Dafen Boy - 15 November 2017 at 12:48pm
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:44pm
 Thanks and all the best to John Barclay been a great Scarlet and fantastic clubman !!

All the best at Edinburgh !!
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

Very disappointed, but not surprised.  Top bloke, he deserves success.  I guess Edinburgh is a better place to live and bring up kids in many ways than Llanelli.

Local talent is they way to go for us or non British NWQ's.

We rebuilt Barclay and discovered Beirne...at least we won the Pro 12.
Yeah if they like cold weather. No Cefn Sidan or Joe's ice cream in Edinburgh.
Costa Del Llanelli for me every time.Wink
redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:01pm
I wish John all the best, but this is a big blow to the scarlets.
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

judith View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:07pm
Gutted. A real shame. Been one of our shrewdest signings.
welshbenny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welshbenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Gutted by this. Up there with Lyons and King as the best NWQ signings we’ve ever made in my book.

Agreed, though I'd add Easterby to that list.

Pob Lwc John. Great servant.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:27pm
He's been great for us...he was a great signing at a time we were struggling to attract top players...always given 100% to the club and shirt.

We were also great for him, his international career re-ignited of late, and then becoming Scotland skip.

Wish him all the best, and I'm sure he will want to go out on a high for the club. He'll be missed.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:38pm
John Barclay has been an absolute dynamite of a signing both on and off the pitch.
Such a pleasure to have watched him play for the Scarlets.
He has given us his all.
I hope morriarity is not his replacement.
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by redeyes redeyes wrote:

I wish John all the best, but this is a big blow to the scarlets.

Well, is it? Have we offered him a deal or have we realized that to move forward we've got to free up funds and someone like John, at 31, is a sacrifice to move forward? I don't know the answer to that - but if we've let him go, then I don't think it's a blow.

It's a shame, yes, but if we're contingency planning then there's reasoning for it.

Regardless, what a player. 
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic