Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stand up Mr Parkes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 9:09am
I am not going to jump on the Hadleigh love bus I am afraid. Don't get me wrong he played ok but MOM you have got to be joking. Hadleigh is a solid 12, as Jiffy says he won't let you down. Will he be the 2nd playmaker they are all getting hysterical about - no. 

In my view the best centre partnership available to both the Scarlets & Wales is Scott & Foxy but, here is the key, playing outside Rhys Patchell or indeed Rhys Priestland with a licence to play the Scarlets way. 

For MOM you needn't have looked further than Marx or AWJ in my opinion. Just cos someone runs in two tries, both gifts by the way, doesn't make them MOM surely. 
Sponsored Links

Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 1:41pm
Whilst I agree with some sentiments they weren't both gifts, it was a superb pick up for one of the tries and he didn't look remotely out of place.

Agree though that whatever the 12/13 combination is Parkes isn't a creative 12 and whatever the centre pairing is it's not going to work as well as it could with Biggar at 10 (unless he starts to vary his game significantly).

Parkes is very good at what he does, defends well, runs direct, runs good lines, passes well and keeps possession well, his kicking game is below average though and he's not the most creative, which is fine for us as we've got guys all over the park that can break the game up but if Wales are looking for a playmaker at 12 then he won't be the answer, although I still don't think Wales know what they want.

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Whilst I agree with some sentiments they weren't both gifts, it was a superb pick up for one of the tries and he didn't look remotely out of place.

Agree though that whatever the 12/13 combination is Parkes isn't a creative 12 and whatever the centre pairing is it's not going to work as well as it could with Biggar at 10 (unless he starts to vary his game significantly).

Parkes is very good at what he does, defends well, runs direct, runs good lines, passes well and keeps possession well, his kicking game is below average though and he's not the most creative, which is fine for us as we've got guys all over the park that can break the game up but if Wales are looking for a playmaker at 12 then he won't be the answer, although I still don't think Wales know what they want.

Perhaps gifts was a little over the top but he should never have had a chance with the first try if one of 3 South African backs had reacted. Yes he took it well thats what he does. He is reliable. The 2nd try was a gift from the ref because Faletau was well in front. Parkes is an excellent player for us and has never let us down but a playmaker for Wales????? As you say he isn't a good kicker and he is not very quick. We badly need to inject some pace and elusiveness into this team who are very predictable & have a huge tendancy to go across the field. Most Welsh fans know that to move on we have to bring in a 10 who has pace and will run at and commit opposition midfields. Problem is Gatland is no fan - he's only here for the wedge!!!!!
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 1:58pm
Not a playmaker.......seemed to do a job at 10 for Scarlets that guided us to go on to become champions.

this new way rubbish, needs to stop. th coaches are pretty much doing a copy and paste job of what the scarlets did last year. it will not be done successfully however as the coaches are too brainwashed in their old ways picking personnel that are not suited to that style.

To change the game...change the top.

as for Hadleigh Parkes...well what can I say? Is he a spectacular x factor player? no. He just does everything well, and more importantly everything right. when you make no mistakes, on an international debut, scoring 2 tries, 15 runs, made 37metres, 3 clean breaks, 3 defenders beaten, 13 passes (one below Biggar), 7 tackles 1missed.

contributed a fair bit to the victory. Man of the match? why not.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Not a playmaker.......seemed to do a job at 10 for Scarlets that guided us to go on to become champions.

this new way rubbish, needs to stop. th coaches are pretty much doing a copy and paste job of what the scarlets did last year. it will not be done successfully however as the coaches are too brainwashed in their old ways picking personnel that are not suited to that style.

as for Hadleigh Parkes...well what can I say? Is he a spectacular x factor player? no. He just does everything well, and more importantly everything right. when you make no mistakes, on an international debut, scoring 2 tries, 15 runs, made 37metres, 3 clean breaks, 3 defenders beaten, 13 passes (one below Biggar), 7 tackles 1missed.

You must have been watching a different game to me both at the end of last season & last Saturday. Last season's play offs were won before he came on. At 10 he has never looked comfortable because his kicking out of hand is totally hit or miss. As for Saturday I never said he had a poor game just not MOM. I restate my MOM would have been Marx closely followed by AWJ.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 2:10pm
My nails still haven't grown back fully after the Parkes at 10 experiment in the run in, it was risky and we got away with it, I wouldn't like to see it again though.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Perhaps gifts was a little over the top but he should never have had a chance with the first try if one of 3 South African backs had reacted. Yes he took it well thats what he does. He is reliable. The 2nd try was a gift from the ref because Faletau was well in front. Parkes is an excellent player for us and has never let us down but a playmaker for Wales????? As you say he isn't a good kicker and he is not very quick. We badly need to inject some pace and elusiveness into this team who are very predictable & have a huge tendancy to go across the field. Most Welsh fans know that to move on we have to bring in a 10 who has pace and will run at and commit opposition midfields. Problem is Gatland is no fan - he's only here for the wedge!!!!!

Not at all sure about this... having seen it again, it looks very close either way. To me, it looks as if Faletau's body is in front of Biggar - but the charge down is made with Biggar's hands, stretching out well in front of his body... so is Faletau in front of Biggar's finger tips? The TMO would have had a hell of a job to judge that one... IMO, the try was good, just about.

As for Parkes - one thing he doesn't do is run across field. He'll either straighten the line, or look for an effective pass. He practically never loses the ball in contact, either. An exceptionally reliable player - not an X-factor type, agreed, but so useful. 

You are of course right to point out that the problem with Wales ATM lies in the choice of 10. Biggar is another solid player, but not a threat as a runner. TBF, he did create a couple of tries with clever kicks v SA, but he never tears defences apart as Barrett does (for example). Hard to see how Wales can develop their style so long as he's the main man.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 2:28pm

You must have been watching a different game to me both at the end of last season & last Saturday. Last season's play offs were won before he came on. At 10 he has never looked comfortable because his kicking out of hand is totally hit or miss. As for Saturday I never said he had a poor game just not MOM. I restate my MOM would have been Marx closely followed by AWJ.
I was watching the game that the stats are from. agree to disagree, but didn't think AWJ was MOM.
As for Marx, he was outstanding, but Man of the match these days are never given to the losing side.
As for Parkes at ten - played over 30 mins in final, played the same v Leinster in the semi. I am not saying he is an outside half, but he is a very handy playmaker. his passing is spot on. a playmaker is all about distribution - to which he is VERY good at. His handling is top drawer. if you think otherwise, then we shall again, agree to disagree but in my opinion, his distribution is a key part of his game and Scarlets game.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 4:42pm

I was watching the game that the stats are from. agree to disagree, but didn't think AWJ was MOM.
As for Marx, he was outstanding, but Man of the match these days are never given to the losing side.
As for Parkes at ten - played over 30 mins in final, played the same v Leinster in the semi. I am not saying he is an outside half, but he is a very handy playmaker. his passing is spot on. a playmaker is all about distribution - to which he is VERY good at. His handling is top drawer. if you think otherwise, then we shall again, agree to disagree but in my opinion, his distribution is a key part of his game and Scarlets game.

We shall agree to disagree. The whole point, in my mind, in playing a 2nd playmaker is that you have two players who are comfortable at 10 : Ford/Farrell, Jones/Henson, Foley/Giteau. Hadleigh does not fit that mould in any shape or form. I tend to share Stevo's view that if you want an attacker who will unlock defences then you go with Scott at 12. Hadleigh has been a wonderful signing for the Scarlets but what message does it send out to young Welsh centres when a 30 year old New Zealander gets picked. By the time the World Cup comes around, which the coaches are supposed to be experimenting towards, then surely Owen Watkins is a better bet than Hadleigh and should have been given more gametime. 
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 5:18pm

We shall agree to disagree. The whole point, in my mind, in playing a 2nd playmaker is that you have two players who are comfortable at 10 : Ford/Farrell, Jones/Henson, Foley/Giteau. Hadleigh does not fit that mould in any shape or form. I tend to share Stevo's view that if you want an attacker who will unlock defences then you go with Scott at 12. Hadleigh has been a wonderful signing for the Scarlets but what message does it send out to young Welsh centres when a 30 year old New Zealander gets picked. By the time the World Cup comes around, which the coaches are supposed to be experimenting towards, then surely Owen Watkins is a better bet than Hadleigh and should have been given more gametime. 
share your point regarding the selection and age etc, but Parkes is one of those that can play any game. His passing is top drawer stuff enabling to be a playmaker and his decision making and timing of the pass etc all ticking the right boxes. If you want to him to crash through, he can do that as well.
Owen Watkin, mystified by his selection over Scott, mystified (but not surprised) that he didn’t really feature and Scott who was left out played the bigger matches. Will be interesting to see what the Ospreys do at centre with Scott and Watkin. Is that the partnership?
That’s another subject though. Parkes for me gave a performance of extreme maturity, assurance, and took the step to international rugby with ease.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 5:34pm
I feel Parkes had his MOM as much for his leadership of the defence as the 2 tries he scored.

Some say lucky, but you have to be on the spot to score them, he like so many from NZ seem to know what is going to happen next.

I am so old we use to say that about Welsh backs at one time.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 6:47pm

Hadleigh a well deserved MOM for me
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Hadleigh a well deserved MOM for me
Clear, concise and much to recommend from Mark’s comment, for me. Mental strength and cool thinking, too.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 9:24am
well played Mr  Parkes and to think of all the stick I used to give him when we 1st signed!

loads of humble pie for me

Still I was the 1st to have him as their avatar :)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

well played Mr  Parkes and to think of all the stick I used to give him when we 1st signed!

loads of humble pie for me

Still I was the 1st to have him as their avatar :)

Haha!

Must admit I hadn't recognised the rather small picture - especially as he's not in Scarlet!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 2:30pm
How many tries does Hadleigh make for other players he had best hands of all our backs always seens to be in right place at right time. He was Probably best ball player on pitch last Saturday. He will do for me different player to Scott we been lucky to have had both and wish we still did but players move on. Age is only a number he wil still be about in two years some people are born Scarlets others like Hadleigh and Batclay embrace it and contribute a huge amount.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic