Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Toulon Game

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 11:31am
McNicholl is a no brainer, why? because he is a better player than Prydie and I'm sure that Tom would acknowledge that. Tom will have plenty of gametime during the 6 Nations.

Dan? That's a tricky one, he had a fine game both in general play and off the tee. This is where the coaches earn their money. Having to pick other players ahead of players who have given their all.

If it were me I'd pick Halfpenny, and at full back. Saturday is in effect a test match. Toulon are stuffed full of internationals as is ours, McNicholl, Cubby and Beirne are test players in waiting and when Steff and Jake return we have a test match 15. Leigh is a Lion and has kicked goals at the very highest level under the most extreme pressure and I'd back him to do so against his former team on Saturday.

15. Halfpenny
14. McNicholl
13. Kick it to me then, go on!
12. Scott
11. Asquith
10. Patchell
9.  Cawdor
8.  Barclay
7.  Cubby
6.  Sit down!
5.  Beirne
4.  Bullbring
3.  Team of
2.  Doll Snatcher
1.  Rob
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Sponsored Links

Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 11:46am
Disagree with Blues fan on Rhys. He's a great 15 yes but also a great (& better) 10 internationally speaking (provided the team wants to attack). Remember that a fair bit of his great work Friday was at first receiver (which he would be as 10 normally). The fact we had two good first receiver options was a significant point on Friday but don't forget that when we played even better last season in the semi and final Rhys was at 10.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by theflier theflier wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

How about reaching out to Ospreys & Blues fans to come and watch? Those who who aren’t travelling to France might well want to come and see what should be a cracking match.

I  (Blues) will be there, too good to miss.  

Bring a few friends with you   

Edited by Eastern outpost - 14 January 2018 at 12:16pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by Matthew Cardey Matthew Cardey wrote:

If only jonny mac is fit i would be inclined to put him at full back with patchel moving to 10. Asquith and prydie deserve to keep their place.

We need the biggest crowd possible down there sat! I have allready got 3 part timers to come down we all need to tell everyone to do the same.

dan jones played well.

He played very well, everyone else played brilliantly. He missed 2 kicks to touch from penalties, few questionable field position kicks in the first half aswel, and is not as defensively sound as patchel.
He did have some lovely touches aswel including a superb grubber through for asquith to gather on our own half, and some big penalties in the second half.
It's a hard one to call. The way patchel has been playing at 15, popping up at first receiver, switching the attack to the opposite side, counter attacking from deep. Mchnicol has to come back in if fit, and he is capable of doing this same job at 15,like he did last year in our last 4/5 games. Halfpenny will be hard to accomadate if fit because id say dan jones has been the most dependable kicker we have this year which decreases 1/2p need to be starting.

Its going to be a very difficult selection.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 12:38pm

How about reaching out to Ospreys & Blues fans to come and watch? Those who who aren’t travelling to France might well want to come and see what should be a cracking match.

Unrelated, it seems you lot have realised what we did 2-3 years ago. Patchell is a decent 10 but a very good 15, an international 15 if he wanted, but not at 10. 

Wonderful to welcome you, interesting post on the Patchell situation.

From how i see it, he is a better 15 than 10, but he is still our best 10. Quite a conundrum to have.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

McNicholl is a no brainer, why? because he is a better player than Prydie and I'm sure that Tom would acknowledge that. Tom will have plenty of gametime during the 6 Nations.

Dan? That's a tricky one, he had a fine game both in general play and off the tee. This is where the coaches earn their money. Having to pick other players ahead of players who have given their all.

If it were me I'd pick Halfpenny, and at full back. Saturday is in effect a test match. Toulon are stuffed full of internationals as is ours, McNicholl, Cubby and Beirne are test players in waiting and when Steff and Jake return we have a test match 15. Leigh is a Lion and has kicked goals at the very highest level under the most extreme pressure and I'd back him to do so against his former team on Saturday.

15. Halfpenny
14. McNicholl
12. Scott
11. Asquith
10. Patchell
9.  Cawdor
8.  Barclay
7.  Cubby
6.  Sit down!
5.  Beirne
4.  Bullbring
3.  Team of
2.  Doll Snatcher
1.  Rob

If mcnicoll is a no brainer then he has to go at 15. Hp has been our worst kicker so far and I wouldn't back him at home v Toulon to do it. We need patch or jonny at 15 to keep our running rugby alive.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Unrelated, it seems you lot have realised what we did 2-3 years ago. Patchell is a decent 10 but a very good 15, an international 15 if he wanted, but not at 10. 

Wonderful to welcome you, interesting post on the Patchell situation.

From how i see it, he is a better 15 than 10, but he is still our best 10. Quite a conundrum to have.

Have to agree patch looked like a very accomplished 15 whereas at 10 still a work in progress. Great strike runner which is what gets us going from 15.
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 2:02pm
Last year Jonathan Davies returned to scintilating form that ulimitaly helped us lift the title, where I'm going with this is that we need our big players on the pitch next week. If fit, Halfpenny starts. Halfpenny is a a test lion, and knows what it takes to win these games. I may be wrong, but he's the one player in our squad who has won the competition. For me, these are the games we signed him for.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

Last year Jonathan Davies returned to scintilating form that ulimitaly helped us lift the title, where I'm going with this is that we need our big players on the pitch next week. If fit, Halfpenny starts. Halfpenny is a a test lion, and knows what it takes to win these games. I may be wrong, but he's the one player in our squad who has won the competition. For me, these are the games we signed him for.

This
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
CTMassive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTMassive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 2:42pm
I think given the strength of Toulon which is their big ball carriers, especially down the 10 channel, I can see Pivac opting to go with the stronger defender, as well as Dan played he was steam rollered by Banahan. 
Cawdor Rhys Parkes Scotty Steff Asquith McNicholl  Bench: Aled, Dan and Halfpenny

Pack picks itlself. 6-2 bench is tempting though

That set of backs with Cubby and Beirne etc will run the big Toulon forwards off their feet by 30 miutes. We jusy need good weather and retain the ball - easy Tongue
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 3:16pm
Basteredau with a blatant homophobic insult live on air there. Surely a ban?

Commentators had to appologise for it, and cndemned him for it.

Surely its got to be the same sort of ban as Cubby had?
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Basteredau with a blatant homophobic insult live on air there. Surely a ban?

Commentators had to appologise for it, and cndemned him for it.

Surely its got to be the same sort of ban as Cubby had?
what did he say?
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

15. Halfpenny
14. McNicholl
12. Scott
11. Asquith
10. Patchell
9.  Cawdor
8.  Barclay
7.  Cubby
6.  Sit down!
5.  Beirne
4.  Bullbring
3.  Team of
2.  Doll Snatcher
1.  Rob

Yep hapenny back if fit and johnny back to wing if fit too, keep asquith. Id go with a 5 - 3 bench with dan aled and prydie to cover back 3
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by CTMassive CTMassive wrote:

I think given the strength of Toulon which is their big ball carriers, especially down the 10 channel, I can see Pivac opting to go with the stronger defender, as well as Dan played he was steam rollered by Banahan. 
Cawdor Rhys Parkes Scotty Steff Asquith McNicholl  Bench: Aled, Dan and Halfpenny

Pack picks itlself. 6-2 bench is tempting though

That set of backs with Cubby and Beirne etc will run the big Toulon forwards off their feet by 30 miutes. We jusy need good weather and retain the ball - easy Tongue
I had a photo taken with bannahan(lovely guy) and he is massive he would steamroller most people.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by coldith coldith wrote:

Spoke to one of the physio’s Friday after the game and she was confident that both Johnny and Leigh would be fit for Toulon
ooo you little secret squirrel you lol good burrowing LOL
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 3:25pm

The Dragons kick off at 1500 and Blues at 1700 Sat. The Ospreys match will be on TV beforehand in the barn and elsewhere in y Parc so the idea might well appeal to a decent number.

Loving that idea, welcome our cousins from over the bridge why not mun its only down the roadClap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic