Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Under 20 World Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Positives for me were Max Williams, Ben Fry, Cai Evans, Ioan Nicholas and Corey Baldwin.
I wasn’t impressed with any prop really, which is disappointing because I was really looking forward to Carre but he really wasn’t a stand out. His scrummaging needs to get better and he needs to get fitter.
Basham too, went quiet after the first match and was outplayed by the other Dragons 8 Ben Fry. Must remember Basham is only 18.
The thing that really crucified Wales though was poor half back play.. the 9s were really poor whilst they didn’t seem to settle on a 10 with Ben Jones and Ben Thomas playing there, then Cai Evans played there vs Argentina.
Harri Morgan is a very good 9 and will feature heavily for Os U23 this season. Far better than anything we have at that age. Bear in mind he still qualified for U18s this season, so has 2 more seasons again. Blacke played as expected. Like a guy without that X factor
#George
Sponsored Links

SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

Positives for me were Max Williams, Ben Fry, Cai Evans, Ioan Nicholas and Corey Baldwin.
I wasn’t impressed with any prop really, which is disappointing because I was really looking forward to Carre but he really wasn’t a stand out. His scrummaging needs to get better and he needs to get fitter.
Basham too, went quiet after the first match and was outplayed by the other Dragons 8 Ben Fry. Must remember Basham is only 18.
The thing that really crucified Wales though was poor half back play.. the 9s were really poor whilst they didn’t seem to settle on a 10 with Ben Jones and Ben Thomas playing there, then Cai Evans played there vs Argentina.
Harri Morgan is a very good 9 and will feature heavily for Os U23 this season. Far better than anything we have at that age. Bear in mind he still qualified for U18s this season, so has 2 more seasons again. Blacke played as expected. Like a guy without that X factor
Not knocking the players' long term ability at all, just saying they were outplayed in most games and couldn't get the best out of a very dangerous Welsh backline.
I liked the All Black 9 who looked about 12 but was one of their most important players usually.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:42pm

The Wales Under 20s coaching set up should have been removed after last years World Cup, the coaching set up is inept with basic skills like passing set piece and quick ball ignored for slow one up bish bash rugby  real shame with such quality outside backs in squad almost totally ignored throughout .
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 3:29pm

Maybe - but far too often he was miles from the breakdown... I expect it was the coaches' fault... they should have told the players that first man to the breakdown carries on the move in those circumstances - far too often, there was a long delay waiting for the Wales 9s to get there. If the 9 gets trapped in a ruck or whatever, the coaches MUST make sure the boys have the freedom to play the ball.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 11:36am
Was the game plan apparently Aber. Not Harri.
#George
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 1:34pm

Was the game plan apparently Aber. Not Harri.

Yes, that was my point - coaches need to realise that if the 9 is trapped a long way from the ball, the other players should have the freedom to get on with it. 
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 7:21pm
France leading England 23-8 with 20 mins to go in the final.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 7:43pm
33-18 France, with the clock nearly in the red...
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 7:44pm
Update... now France 33 England 25 with 79 min played!
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 7:55pm
Well done France.

Very deserved winners. England were lucky to be as close as they were, in the end.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 10:53pm
End-game punch-ups appear now appear  to be the rage after the Argentina-Wales conflagration. 
But remember it happened to us first ,and others, totally lacking in originality, are merely copying. 
Seriously though, at least the ref in France-England U20 final had enough sense to ignore it and not start dishing out red-cards willy-nilly when almost everyone could have had one..
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 9:28am
I posted this in the Conbeer thread, but maybe it should have gone here:

Congratulations to Wales on beating Italy 34-17 to secure 7th place at the U20 World Cup:

Dan Davis showed up well with a try and a break down the wing with an inside pass to create another for Llewellyn.

Ryan Conbeer also scored... both Ryan and Dan's tries involved 3 yard dashes with a bit of elusiveness and strength to evade and fend off tackles - not the most spectacular tries ever, but they got the job done!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic