Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are our expectations now higher?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are our expectations now higher?
    Posted: 12 June 2018 at 12:20pm
I was talking to a friend of mine who is a season ticket holder over the Loughor & he said that the Ospreys should be looking at a semi final place in the challenge cup as a minimum this year, though with the calibre of teams in it they may not make it that far.

Anyway that got me thinking about what our expectations are now. Three seasons ago if someone had said to anyone us, within 3 years you will win the Pro 12, make the final the following year & reach the semi finals of the Champions Cup, I am sure many of us would have said "if you say so". But we are coming off the back of quite a couple of seasons.

So what do we think will constitute a successful 2018/19 season?

I would like to think we will make the semi finals of the Pro 14 & certainly the knock out stages of the Champions Cup though if I am greedy I would love a home QF & 'home' semi final too.

I also look forward to the development of younger players such as Ioan Nicholas & Ryan Conbeer.

I appreciate we are weeks away from the start of the season but what, for you, are you looking for next season?
Sponsored Links

ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 12:34pm
Pro 14 Final
Champions Cup Semi Final
Keep our Home Pro 14 record going
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 12:46pm
Pivac came in, set targets and has achieved them all.
Its now time to look at those targets and raise the bar.
We became Pro 12 champions IN 16/17. We defended the title in the final 17/18.
We reached the semi final of Europe 17/18.

For 18/19 from my point of view:
We need to continue being highly competitive in Pro14.
Reaching the knock out stages yet again in Europe.

Its all about progress.
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 1:28pm
We have a stronger non test team next season, the target for the league should be a home semi. Also if we can get a home quarter final in Europe again then we could hope for that elusive home semi in Europe. By damn we're due one!

My expectations are higher. A Euro final or even the grail has to be in our sights.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 1:29pm
It's difficult to target winning competitions, but our target should be to be in the KO rounds of both major competitions every year. 
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 1:42pm
Win the lot. 

Boom.
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
Craca Hyll View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craca Hyll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 2:13pm
Any season where we get to watch entertaining rugby with meaningful games towards the end of the season is a successful one in my book. That means making the knockout stages of either the Pro14 or the Champions Cup.
T_RICHARDS_94 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_RICHARDS_94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 2:59pm
I'd be more than happy with Pro 14 semi-final and Euro quarter-final next season.

Big season for the youngsters coming through - Conbeer I expect will play a lot more and Ioan and Corey should also be in the mix.

Having said that, we may struggle to be the top Welsh region after Dragons recruitment have turned them into the Gwent All Blacks (sorry for the sarcasm!) Approve
Writer for The Rugby Club
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by ChrisX ChrisX wrote:

Pro 14 Final
Champions Cup Semi Final
Keep our Home Pro 14 record going

Those have got to be the targets!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by T_RICHARDS_94 T_RICHARDS_94 wrote:

I'd be more than happy with Pro 14 semi-final and Euro quarter-final next season.

Big season for the youngsters coming through - Conbeer I expect will play a lot more and Ioan and Corey should also be in the mix.

Having said that, we may struggle to be the top Welsh region after Dragons recruitment have turned them into the Gwent All Blacks (sorry for the sarcasm!) Approve

I'm not quaking in my boots yet.

True, they have signed some serious quality - but it takes a while for new players to gel and fit into a system. Also, it's not clear if the Drags coaching staff have what it takes - not on this season's show, but they could maybe blame the quality of players for that. They'll have no excuses, next season. (FWIW, I think the Blues will prove to be more of a challenge, unless their new coach is a dud.)
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 4:26pm
Where is this serious quality?
seany61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seany61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 4:27pm
Semi Final in Pro 14
QF in Europe

Playing knockout rugby consistently in both competitions should be where we are aiming. The more we play in those pressure games the more accustomed to the pressure the players will be and the more attractive proposition we become for potential players and coaches. Also, crucially, KO rugby generally brings fans through the gates. 
Think, Think, Think .... Its a thinking game.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 4:27pm
If I am being hyper critical I think I would like to see some of the young forwards starting to come through to the seniors this year.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

If I am being hyper critical I think I would like to see some of the young forwards starting to come through to the seniors this year.
Yep I’ll agree here, would like to see some of Rhys Fawcett, Daf Hughes/Taylor Davies, Javen Sebastian, Josh Helps, Tom Phillips (if fit), Shaun Evans all given a run of 2-3 games with the first team to see if they will be able to step up.
mr geraint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr geraint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

Where is this serious quality?

I'm no Dargon but I reckon that Ross Moriarty is a definite improvement.

They've taken some punts which might be worth taking: Hibbard is a good shout if he still has the engine, Rhodri looked good for us, Jordan might have learnt to tackle by now...

So, um yeah, Moriarty.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 8:23am
i appreciate that this is not meant to be a Dragons thread but it seems to have developed into that. I am not comfortable with the continuing attacks on the Dragons. There can be no doubt that they have a vastly improved squad for next season. Moriarty & Rhodri are seriously good signings. They will have Amos, Morgan, Rhodri, Dee, Brown, Hill, Moriarty & Griffiths pushing very hard for a place in the World Cup squad next year. Surely posters can see that as progress.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic