Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pivac is Gatland's successor - Announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Eddie Jones will need a job around summer 2019 I imagine ...

Eddie could be available by this Christmas... Shocked

Eddie has crossed my mind as well to be honest.
Scarlets!!!
Sponsored Links

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 3:58pm
Eddie will be off to France or possibly someone like the USA team post-England, £€$!!

The other one who crossed my mind was Ben Ryan.

Just finished his book Sevens Heaven, wonderful story.

I don’t think he’s that keen on becoming a 15s coach just yet but he’s got the right philosophy and management ability.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 4:06pm
Aaron Mauger is someone worth looking at as is Tony Brown. Feeney is also a good shout
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 4:41pm
Wayne has truly immersed himself in Welsh culture, especially the Region's, and with the insight of the board then shrewdly brought in Stephen and the coaching team as ex Llanelli men to be all around him. He lives here and all this helped him learn. The new coach next year ,if not a local or Welshman, is going to find it challenging 'to fit in' especially if eg commuting home to family in Bristol or Newcastle or wherever.. (just examples by the way!). Wayne is going to be a hard act to follow as he got it all pretty well right coming from outside Wales to Llanelli. Goodness knows who the successor will be. Exciting times though. 
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 4:43pm
Follow-up story on WRU web-site:

Originally posted by WRU WRU wrote:

Speculation will now intensify around who Pivac will take with him into the national set-up, with former Welsh internationals Stephen Jones and Byron Hayward likely to be high on his list of candidates for the attack and defence roles given their success in harness with him at the Scarlets.

Originally posted by Wayne Pivac Wayne Pivac wrote:

"I'm going to have an open mind on who will join me and we will have a very honest process and discussion about it. It's such a serious business here and there will be no favouritism to people I know. It will be about the people who are compatible for the role and the best people for the role."

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 5:37pm
Another quality of Wayne’s is his ability to circulate in a room. He’s so much at ease speaking to people, whether sponsors or anyone.

This ability brings rewards in helping the commercial team tie up much-needed sponsorships.

By contrast, it wasn’t Simon Easterby’s natural strength.

Hopefully, the successor will be equally at ease with people as Wayne.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 10 July 2018 at 5:38pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Another quality of Wayne’s is his ability to circulate in a room. He’s so much at ease speaking to people, whether sponsors or anyone.

This ability brings rewards in helping the commercial team tie up much-needed sponsorships.

By contrast, it wasn’t Simon Easterby’s natural strength.

Hopefully, the successor will be equally at ease with people as Wayne.
Spot on EP! 👍 He is very good with people and having an open and engaging style opens so more doors with everyone he dealt with. Great PR guy for the Region who will talk to anyone reasonably.
PTScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PTScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 9:36am
Next coach must be a super 15 coach - they know how to play rugby.
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 11:26am
Further update on Pivac appointment - no discussion with or approach to Stevo yet.

Sensible by Wayne to take the time to choose his backroom team - Stevo may be the one he wants, but taking a few months to consider the options also allows Jones to think about what his ambitions are. I imagine the opportunity to move into the Wales set-up as Pivac's right-hand man would be appealing, for many reasons, but he may miss the day-to-day involvement with the club and players.

He could well have the choice of stepping up as Scarlets head coach, or following Pivac to the WRU - I hope he stays and provides continuity, but what a great dilemma for him.

Edited by NobbySosban - 11 July 2018 at 11:27am
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by PTScarlet PTScarlet wrote:

Our current coach has never coached at Super Rugby level, and he’s done a pretty decent job for us.

Edited by Mugwuffin - 11 July 2018 at 12:00pm
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by PTScarlet PTScarlet wrote:

Hmmm not sure I would want Tana Umaga...
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 12:13pm
I cannot really get into Super Rugby - yes the attacking play is quite fantastic at times but defensively they are a bit naiive. I say this without the benefit of watching very much so am happy to be put right. Our next coach must be the right kind of person - proud & inspired by our history, want to play our way & be a good man manager. He should inherit a squad that is very together with no damaging cliques so much of the work that Pivac had to do won't be required. 

For me its a no brainer that they offer Stevo the head coach role & allow him to select his coaching team. If Stevo goes to Wales then it becomes a much harder decision. 
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I cannot really get into Super Rugby - yes the attacking play is quite fantastic at times but defensively they are a bit naiive. I say this without the benefit of watching very much so am happy to be put right. Our next coach must be the right kind of person - proud & inspired by our history, want to play our way & be a good man manager. He should inherit a squad that is very together with no damaging cliques so much of the work that Pivac had to do won't be required. 

For me its a no brainer that they offer Stevo the head coach role & allow him to select his coaching team. If Stevo goes to Wales then it becomes a much harder decision. 

Yes the attacking from anywhere stuff means that some matches look like basketball with plenty of errors, knock-ons and defensive howlers but on the other hand, many of those players go into international rugby and beat NH opposition regularly, so in a sense it maybe is a sought after attitude/play style at club level that doesn't necessarily carry onto the ABs, for example.

Also there is a huge gap between the Crusaders/Hurricanes for example and the bottom table Sunwolves/Blues/Reds. In that respect Super Rugby is not very different from our Pro14.

I'd love for Stevo to be given the head coach role, but not sure if it is a bit too early though.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 12:55pm
Stevo has worked with Dai Young & now Pivac for a number of years. By all accounts he is a driven individual always looking to learn. In my mind he is ready to make the next step & in 4 years time who knows. !!!!!

Feeney & Brown are decent candidates and I still like the look of Lancaster. Wouldn't touch fast Eddie with a barge pole - his style is the total opposite of Wayne's. 
LacksDrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LacksDrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 1:05pm
He certainly would be very young for a head coaching role with the profile of a Pro 14 club, let alone one of the top sides in the league (& Europe currently)... but he does have a great and varied experience. Two spells as a player, a successful period in France, a centurian with Wales and 2 lions tours. If any 40 year old is ready it’s gonna be him. For context Aaron Mauger is younger and with less of a resume (cap wise, he did win a lot more honours to be fair) and he is coaching the Highlanders.

If I were Stevo, for my own personal development (and I would eventually want to be the Wales Head Coach) I would stick with the Scarlets. Assisting is very different from taking full responsibility. If he follows Wayne (which I think is the easy option) he isn’t going to learn how to make the tough decisions that will be necessary for his next level of development.

Personally, I think he’ll go though... as rarely in life do you meet a person that you click with on the level he and Wayne appear to. That and the allure of the Wales set up could just be too great.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 1:10pm
I’d love to see
Stephen Jones (Head Coach)
Paul Feeney (Backs Coach)
Ioan Cunningham (Forwards Coach)
Byron Hayward (Defence Coach)

If Stephen goes I’d like us to aggressively pursue Scott Robertson, and ask the WRU for help to bring him in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic