Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pivac is Gatland's successor - Announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PTScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by PTScarlet PTScarlet wrote:

Next coach must be a super 15 coach - they know how to play rugby.

Hmmm not sure I would want Tana Umaga...

Rob Howley, Robin McBryde, Sean Holley, Kingsley Jones, Lyn Jones - Welsh talent available now
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.
Sponsored Links

EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 1:33pm
I think Jim Mallinder would be a good fit for us as well. Always got Northampton forwards playing well.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 1:40pm

Rob Howley, Robin McBryde, Sean Holley, Kingsley Jones, Lyn Jones - Welsh talent available now

Only Sean Holley & Lyn would be worth talking to in my opinion. Even then they are well behind many of the other names mentioned. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

I think Jim Mallinder would be a good fit for us as well. Always got Northampton forwards playing well.
His rugby philosophy isn't one that would go well with the Scarlets
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Scarlet O'Hara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet O'Hara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Only Sean Holley & Lyn would be worth talking to in my opinion. Even then they are well behind many of the other names mentioned. 

The heat must be really getting to you.
PTScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PTScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 11:58pm
When was the last time a welsh coach won a trophy for a welsh region? Dai Young with the Blues IIRC in the AMLIN against Toulon? And before that ??? We will probably be under immense pressure by the WRU to employ a Welshman as head coach (just read their comments about not enough quality, wanting regions to develop coaches etc). If we do that then that will be the demise of the scarlets. The new coach must be someone from the Southern Hemisphere who is known for fast-flowing rugby, and has connections with some talented players from NZ (that’s if Stevo is unavailable due to joining Pivac)
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 4:41am

When was the last time a welsh coach won a trophy for a welsh region? Dai Young with the Blues IIRC in the AMLIN against Toulon? And before that ??? We will probably be under immense pressure by the WRU to employ a Welshman as head coach (just read their comments about not enough quality, wanting regions to develop coaches etc). If we do that then that will be the demise of the scarlets. The new coach must be someone from the Southern Hemisphere who is known for fast-flowing rugby, and has connections with some talented players from NZ (that’s if Stevo is unavailable due to joining Pivac)

I don't think the WRU would be that insane.

1) if they take Stevo they cannot argue we should have a Welsh head coach as tehy took him
2) They would also realise that dropping someone incapable of being a head coach right now is not development but the opposite

I think we will be ok.
Scarlets before Wales
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 9:16am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Is the car park manager role open again then?
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 9:29am

Sean Holley and the Ospreys surely was the last winner? And be fair, he coached temporarily at the Scarlets when to be fair, we played some great running rugby.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 11:17am

We will probably be under immense pressure by the WRU to employ a Welshman as head coach (just read their comments about not enough quality, wanting regions to develop coaches etc).

The WRU are working hand-in-glove with the Regions now - they want jointly to develop home-grown talent in players as well as coaching staff, but they're entirely realistic about how they need to be grown, not just parachuted into top jobs because of their nationality, whether or not they've previously had opportunities. I don't think any previous incumbents need apply.

Both Union and Club will consider what's best to maximise performance against potential first and foremost, but growing a team of Welsh lieutenants under a strong, empowering head coach has to be good practice across all 4 Regions. That's why I think Scarlets and WRU will be discussing what the best course of action for Stephen Jones as a potential Wales Head Coach - would he be best to move to the international set-up as Pivac's deputy and continue to learn from him at Test level, or would he/Scarlets/Wales be better served by giving him the Head Coach opportunity in Llanelli.

A lot will depend on Stevo's ambitions and Pivac's persuasion, of course, but I think it's great that we can have such a joined-up, holistic approach in Welsh rugby. ClapClapClap

Edited by NobbySosban - 12 July 2018 at 11:18am
LacksDrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LacksDrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 11:51am
So been trawling the net and just read the NZ Herald article about the Wales fascination with all thing New Zealand (though I think the ‘fascination’ is more about all things winning rather than NZ) and a new name came up which ‘could’ be a good shout.

What about Milton Haig, seems to have achieved relative success in the lower levels of New Zealand club rugby and has done a more than decent job in charge of the Georgia national side. He’s been there a while now and the Scarlets job would probably appeal to him.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by LacksDrive LacksDrive wrote:

So been trawling the net and just read the NZ Herald article about the Wales fascination with all thing New Zealand (though I think the ‘fascination’ is more about all things winning rather than NZ) and a new name came up which ‘could’ be a good shout.

What about Milton Haig, seems to have achieved relative success in the lower levels of New Zealand club rugby and has done a more than decent job in charge of the Georgia national side. He’s been there a while now and the Scarlets job would probably appeal to him.
I like that
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 12:13pm
Thats a decent call. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 12:39pm
Personally, I am not too certain that a Welsh coach could run the national team these days as we get rather tribal when things go wrong and the regional resentment then kicks in. If you have an outsider like Wayne Pivac it's not the same type of pressure on  the coach. So I am not sure if a Welshman proper will work as Wales coach through thick and thin times -just my personal view. Anyway it wont happen now for 5 years !
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 2:35pm
Dont want Holley hes ospreys through and through he would probably sign half of their squad level players not for me im afraid, maybe the Georgia coach may know a few of their players looking for contracts may know of a few unheard of gems
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by LacksDrive LacksDrive wrote:

Interesting suggestion...can't say I know too much about him
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic