Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Coach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsbeno1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2018 at 8:53am
Scott Robertson would be the ideal candidate. Potentially O’Gara as his number 2 would be great too. Interestingly O’Gara distanced himself from coaching Munster/ in Ireland as he wants to coach when he doesn’t know the players as well
Sponsored Links

John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2018 at 9:46am
Originally posted by scarletsbeno1 scarletsbeno1 wrote:

Scott Robertson would be the ideal candidate. Potentially O’Gara as his number 2 would be great too. Interestingly O’Gara distanced himself from coaching Munster/ in Ireland as he wants to coach when he doesn’t know the players as well

That's the platinum option. We've moved up in the world but I'm not sure we've moved that far. RoG as a number 1 might be possible, progressive and interesting. His next move might well be to a pro 14 club where he can display his coaching ability to the IRFU without becoming associated with a particular province.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Originally posted by scarletsbeno1 scarletsbeno1 wrote:

That's the platinum option. We've moved up in the world but I'm not sure we've moved that far. RoG as a number 1 might be possible, progressive and interesting. His next move might well be to a pro 14 club where he can display his coaching ability to the IRFU without becoming associated with a particular province.
I can not see RoG COMING here as a number 1. 
This next appointment is THE MOST important appointment we have made. Personally I dont think the time is right for Stephen Jones to move up. We have plans to be a Champions Cup finalist WITHIN the next 3 years. This shows the ambition so we need to go with the experience along with that. 
If Stevo stays...he will stay as an assistant. If RoG comes in, again, he comes in as an assistant as similar to Stevo, he has just as much, if not less coaching experience as Stevo. 

Robertson would be a great coup as would Pat Lam. 
Those are the type of guys we would target IMO. Lancaster is very doubtful as we need someone who works well to a tight budget. Lancaster has not done that. Has Robertson even done that...being blessed with the strongest squad in S15 goes a long way - not sure how that compares to budget etc. 

Pat Lam could very well be an option ESPECIALLY if Bristol head for relegation. He worked wonders under a tight budget at Connacht. Tom Coventry, Aaron Mauger...theres quite a number of high calibre candidates out there. 
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2018 at 11:01am
If Northampton Saints can get Chris Boyd, Bristol Bears can get Pat Lam and Glasgow can get Rennie I see no reason why we can’t make a serious play for Scott Robertson.
Only Glasgow compare to us talent-wise, and investment in the playing squad is higher than ever. I’d be more than tempted to divert a fair chunk of that to a top coach.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2018 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

If Northampton Saints can get Chris Boyd, Bristol Bears can get Pat Lam and Glasgow can get Rennie I see no reason why we can’t make a serious play for Scott Robertson.
Only Glasgow compare to us talent-wise, and investment in the playing squad is higher than ever. I’d be more than tempted to divert a fair chunk of that to a top coach.

I'd add Leinster to that too
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2018 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

I'd add Leinster to that too
Sorry I meant from the examples I’d named who’d picked up new high profile coaches in the last year or two.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2018 at 4:22pm
I doubt we would match the wages that the clubs mentioned can offer so may need to go under the Radar or look for coaches who feel they have something to prove in their careers.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2018 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I doubt we would match the wages that the clubs mentioned can offer so may need to go under the Radar or look for coaches who feel they have something to prove in their careers.
It depends how involved the WRU are
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2018 at 6:18pm

Why can’t we match the wages?
Next year is likely the best financial club the year will ever have. There’s a new agreement between the WRU and us coming. We have 18 sponsors on the shirt. Last year we averaged 10,000 in league and cup games. We were league runners up and European Cup top 4. Debt owed to the shareholders had been converted.

After seeing the impact a great coach did for us, in Pivac, we should go absolutely all out for the best coach available. We are a far more attractive proposition than Northampton Saints or Bristol. We need to acknowledge this.
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 8:10am
Do we really want Scott Robertson as head coach? LOL

On his way to win Super Rugby again this season, Crusaders are indeed a great side to watch.

1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 8:57am
think he would fit in quite nicely with us to be honest! Big smile  could see him boogeying down with cubby
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 10:00am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

That's a good point but we don't traditionally go big names /big money names on coaches and its usually been from players from within or with strong ties with the club  ,Wayne being the exception. Watch this space I guess!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 10:03am
Personally I appreciate that we have plenty of time to appoint our next coach but I would prefer an early announcement as uncertainty is unsettling. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 10:19am

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

That's a good point but we don't traditionally go big names /big money names on coaches and its usually been from players from within or with strong ties with the club  ,Wayne being the exception. Watch this space I guess!
I think it would be a massive backwards step if the Scarlets didn't splash the cash on a top coach. Hopefully the days of the head coach having to be an ex player are well and truly gone
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 12:27pm
Position on coaches will be interesting, personally I can't see an announcement being made for ages, some may be contracted, and some of the names mentioned will no doubt be looked at with other clubs, and in discussions with them, we will not be the only ones looking for a new coach.

I have totally put it out of my mind, as I have no influence on it, and also I have no idea what the Scarlets ethos and thinking will be on it.

The only point I would say is that I have a feeling that a short list may have been drawn up a few months ago as negotiations with the WRU were taking place, so they may me well down the road, and a leak/announcement may jeopardise the appointment, so I for one am happy to wait, frustrating though it may be.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
mammamammon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mammamammon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 3:03pm
Stephen Jones! Look no further. Ready to step up and provide continuity.
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic