Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Well thats that then.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well thats that then.
    Posted: 17 February 2019 at 8:54am
I am sorry to say that we will not get to the play offs and Champions Cup is also looking very unlikely.

Anyone who argues to the contrary are just deluded or living in hope.

We are not playing well, even when we have had the Internationals in the side.

Any returning players from injury will take a game or two to get up to speed, and we wont have enough games to allow for that sadly.

The new head coach will inherit a squad playing in the mickey mouse competition.
That does not inspire me one bit, and the potential to attract better quality players will also take a blow if we are in the 2nd tier.

We have only got one or two leaders in the squad, and that was shown last night when the game was there for the taking, however panic ensued when calm heads were needed.

Rory Lawson said at half time that the game would be won by the Scarlets between the ears as the talent was there. It was down to mental fortitude.

That seems to have been the theme all term.AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

When the going gets tough we seem to disappear.

Martin Johnson mentioned last week that physicality is not all down to size. It's about attitude. We had some big lumps out there last night however they were once again bullied.

Perhaps a sports psychologist should be brought in to address the issues, as nothing else is working.

I am so disappointed where at the start I was looking forward with optimism to a good season following on from the last two campaigns, and it has all evaporated, when a lot was in our control and we just let things slip.

Only one win away from home all season is just inexcusable sorry.

Of the 6 games left, I can only see three wins against Cheetahs, Zebre and Dragons. Munster, Edinburgh at home will be massive but those two sides are playing with confidence and winning. The Blues away will be a home win again, due to the home advantage they will enjoy.

Will still renew my season ticket though as I will never stop supporting the team I have loved for 50 years!!!!ClapClap

Page the oracle
Sponsored Links

Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 9:21am
Weird to clap your otherwise negative post? I agree though we have not done well. We know why. There is still a slim chance of Europe at the very least.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 9:21am
it's shocking the way we have gone into freefall since the last 2 seasons ,some of our signings have been woeful and a lot of players have gone missing far too often,1 away win all season is a terrible stat.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 9:38am
My predictions:
We will be in the Champions' Cup
We will make the playoffs.

There.
However in terms of signings, Cassiem and Clayton have been disasters, I have no idea why SHC can't even make the bench and we had some awful luck with Blade.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 9:43am
Yes we have our backs to the wall but come on, I don't believe in this defeatist attitude.

- What if George North had given up on Hadleighs kick against France
- What if we had said 'that's it then' against Leinster when Steff got his red card in the quarter finals the other year.
- What if Michelangelo had said that ceiling's to high for my ladder.

It's game on folks; there a lot to play for and the tougher the run in, sweater the victory when it eventually comes.

In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 9:49am
I am disappointed with the results this season. 

We should have held on to beat Ulster first game of the season.
We didn't take our chances against Racing
We should have taken the points against Ulster in the Champions Cup
Ditto Blues at home
We should have beaten Leinster away. Players make mistakes but Dan's missed an easy pen, and I've no idea what Asquith was doing/thinking.
We  should have held on last night, and we were unlucky with their first try.

Some of those results were first team failures, others when the internationals were away.

However I'll be there for the next two games, and fat lady sings for me !
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

My predictions:
We will be in the Champions' Cup
We will make the playoffs.

There.
However in terms of signings, Cassiem and Clayton have been disasters, I have no idea why SHC can't even make the bench and we had some awful luck with Blade.

Our signings for this season can only be given an overall 5/10 in my mind. Hardy comes out as the best bit of business - we have a player capable of being no 1 choice for years to come. His service is magnificent & he is a constant danger. Kennedy again is a huge plus for what was a project player. Blade I am sure we all agree is a fine player - he is not the 8 I had in mind but a fine player nevertheless. He has been very unlucky. Casseim, Clayton & SHC have all been disappointing to date. 

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 10:08am
Another positive for me has been the emergence of Dan Davis and Josh Helps. Over the summer Josh needs to add some bulk in my opinion, that will enable him to carry a little better.

I agree it will be galling if Jake Wyn and Ryan don't make the bench against the Saes after they were not made available for us this weekend.

As I said on another post, Young, Adams Francis and Biggar played this weekend. Perhaps the IRB need to look at this from a player welfare perspective.

Talking of which, Murphy should seriously look at himself after Will got knocked out last night. It happened right in front of him, and he allowed play to continue for 3-4 phases before stopping the game. I'm sure that the Benetton SH drew the refs attention to Boyde's condition. Shades of Carley and O'Brien in the Racing match.
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 10:29am
I'm not confident that we'll salvage anything from this season. I think players are shattered mentally and it's unlikely that they can get it together in the six remaining matches - even with four at home.  
Disappointing as missing out on the major competition would undoubtedly be, there may be something to gain from being in the Challenge Cup, or whatever it is, as we adjust to the new coaching staff. 
I'm sure if we progress to the latter stages of that Cup next season, we shall all be there in droves as the prospect of winning something again comes into view, not caring whether it's first or second tier.     
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 10:50am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Another positive for me has been the emergence of Dan Davis and Josh Helps. Over the summer Josh needs to add some bulk in my opinion, that will enable him to carry a little better.

I agree it will be galling if Jake Wyn and Ryan don't make the bench against the Saes after they were not made available for us this weekend.

As I said on another post, Young, Adams Francis and Biggar played this weekend. Perhaps the IRB need to look at this from a player welfare perspective.

Talking of which, Murphy should seriously look at himself after Will got knocked out last night. It happened right in front of him, and he allowed play to continue for 3-4 phases before stopping the game. I'm sure that the Benetton SH drew the refs attention to Boyde's condition. Shades of Carley and O'Brien in the Racing match.

If Boyd was knocked out he would not have been allowed to return to the field of play.
Therefore either the ref saw that he was not knocked out or we risked his welfare by sending him back on.🤔
Keep the faith
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 11:32am
I don't think Boyd did not get back on the field.

Josh did.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
gorau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 11:35am
Disappointing last night, but come on we are the Scarlets we've got to keep going and believing! 

Next week is a must win game. Currently we are on 36 points, Ulster are on 39 points, with Edinburgh and Benetton on 41. Next week Ulster play Zebre, Edinburgh play Cardiff Blues and Benetton play the Dragons. I can't see anything less than bonus point wins for all those teams. So Edinburgh and Benetton will both be on 46 points, and Ulster on 44 points. We play the Cheetahs, who gave Connacht a game last night, and we simply need to win and try for a bonus point. Win next week with out a bonus point and we are on 40 points, win with a bonus point and we are on 41 points. 

The following week Benetton and Edinburgh play each other. So one will be on 50 points and the other still on 46 points or 47 points. Ulster play the Dragons so they could be on 49 points. We play Munster and need to beat them. Lose and we are out the running in two weeks time I feel. Win and we are still in there with a fight. So we could be on 44 or 45 points in two weeks time.

At the end of March we play the Blues away in a game where we will have our internationals back, and they all need to play. Win and we could be on 49 or 50 points by then. Ulster play the Southern Kings so they should win with a bonus point so they'll be on around 54 points by then. Connacht host Benetton and Edinburgh play Leinster. So one team could be on 54 points and then the other on 52 points, should they both win those games. Lose and hopefully they both will and one team could be on 47 or 48 points and the other on 51 points. 

We then host Edinburgh and if we beat them then we'll be up to 54 or 55 points. Edinburgh could be stuck on 47 or 48 points or a losing bonus point to give them 49 or 48 points, win and they will be on 52, 53, 55 or 56 points. Benetton go to Leinster, they will be on 55, or 54 points if and a big if if they do win, Lose and they are on 48 or 49 points or stuck on 47 points. Ulster go to Glasgow so they could be on 55 or 56 points or 58 or 59 points.

Benetton then play Munster, a game Munster could and should win, and Benetton are still stuck on 48, 49 or 47 points. Win and they are on a potential of 60, 59 or 58 points. Edinburgh play Ulster, so they then could be up to 61 or 60 points a loss and they will be on 54 or 56 points. Ulster could be up to 64 or 63 points with a win, a loss and they are or 60 or 59 points.

We play Zebre, and a cricket score and a bonus point win is required. We could be then on 59 or 60 points. Then the final weekend is here, so we could be then on 65 points with a win against the Dragons. Benetton beat Zebre then they are on 65 or 64 points, a loss and then will be up to 49 or 48 points. Ulster host Leinster, so they could have 68 or 69 points or a loss and they are on 65 or 64 points. Edinburgh play Glasgow and they could have 66 or 65 points with a win or 55 or 57 points with a loss. 

A loss at any point and it is for definite out of our control and results need to go our way. We simply need to win, a win with a few bonus points along the way as well. 

The end table could be:
Ulster - 69 points
Edinburgh- 66 points
Scarlets - 65 points
Benetton - 65 points

But should results go our way then:
Scarlets - 65 points
Ulster - 64 points
Edinburgh-57 points
Benetton - 49 points.

Do mind me I'm a glass half full man! And I have nothing better to do!
eds
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Yes we have our backs to the wall but come on, I don't believe in this defeatist attitude.

- What if we had said 'that's it then' against Leinster when Steff got his red card in the quarter finals the other year.

It's game on folks; there a lot to play for and the tougher the run in, sweater the victory when it eventually comes.

North didn't seem to be chasing anything in the first half and I can only assume he had a hell of a rollocking in the interval. The Scarlets hardly ever put any kicks in to put pressure on the opposition back 3 defenders, or chase with any determination. We normally pass until we lose the ball. I'm not advocating that we stop doing this, otherwise we would be sacrificing some of the great Scarlets tries that we still see only that we introduce a bit of variety to keep the opposition honest and certainly kick to space from deeper positions and  stop thinking that we can pass our way out of our own 22 without acquiring some serious ball-carriers.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

North didn't seem to be chasing anything in the first half and I can only assume he had a hell of a rollocking in the interval. The Scarlets hardly ever put any kicks in to put pressure on the opposition back 3 defenders, or chase with any determination. We normally pass until we lose the ball. I'm not advocating that we stop doing this, otherwise we would be sacrificing some of the great Scarlets tries that we still see only that we introduce a bit of variety to keep the opposition honest and certainly kick to space from deeper positions and  stop thinking that we can pass our way out of our own 22 without acquiring some serious ball-carriers.
My point was more about not giving up and chasing lost causes to be honest, but yes I agree with you.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 1:33pm
Challenge cup is not the end of the world. People have a very snobbish attitude to it. It’s not exactly full of rubbish teams.
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 2:38pm
This is a pretty negative outlook. I think we will get to 3rd place and that’s not me being deluded our record at home has been pretty good even if we havnt being playing well. Out of the 6 games left, 4 of them are at home and dragons at the milenium. The other away game at the blues is one we can win, they ll want to avenge the hiding we had over the new year and we should get all the welsh squad players back who are not involved in that ireland match. We should hopefully by then have some of our injured personel back, the team will have a whole different edge to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic