Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

6 Nations 2020 squad.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2020 at 5:23pm
steff evans should be in that squad
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

townboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2020 at 6:24pm
Good squad overall with a few surprises in there,only 3 issues for me
1.Steff - Been very good for us this year consistant in evert game.Holmes selection over him after not playing much this year.
2.Scott - Has had injuries this season but for me was the stand out player against the Dragons a few weeks back before coming off,that changed the game.Watkin is still injured and might be ok after the Italy game and Owen Williams is selected after 55 mins of rugby this year..
3.Aled - Rhys Webb 32 now, hasn't played for over 2 months and hasn't done much with Toulon for 2 years.36 years of age going to the next world cup (can't see him going then )..Feel for Aled with all the Webb talk for ages..Would rather see Hardy given a go
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2020 at 6:47pm
webb is 31
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2020 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

PE SA - Mike Haley (Ireland) and Tompkins (Wales) played on the Saxons tour to South Africa in 2016. Playing an uncapped game for England isn't what you think it is.
Really?! I think you'll find that it does mean that but the players you mention, were not captured by England due to South Africa A not being South Africa's designated "second team". Had they played against South Africa u20s that would have tied players from both sides to those countries. 

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2020 at 9:16pm
10, 12 and 13 could be weak, rest looks pretty good. I think Jarrod Evans has looked good for the Blues but is a bit untested at 6N and then 12 and 13 are well-documented. Think North must be the fourth centre. Big part is how the squad adapts to Pivac's style and without Gatland and Edwards. With a strong pack, back row and Cawdor I think you'd hope for chances but then Biggar at 10 isn't really a Pivac style fly half, so that'll be the point of interest for me.
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2020 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

PE SA - Mike Haley (Ireland) and Tompkins (Wales) played on the Saxons tour to South Africa in 2016. Playing an uncapped game for England isn't what you think it is.
Really?! I think you'll find that it does mean that but the players you mention, were not captured by England due to South Africa A not being South Africa's designated "second team". Had they played against South Africa u20s that would have tied players from both sides to those countries. 

I can see you're not going to change your mind on this so let's agree to disagree.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 8:16am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

10, 12 and 13 could be weak, rest looks pretty good. I think Jarrod Evans has looked good for the Blues but is a bit untested at 6N and then 12 and 13 are well-documented. Think North must be the fourth centre. Big part is how the squad adapts to Pivac's style and without Gatland and Edwards. With a strong pack, back row and Cawdor I think you'd hope for chances but then Biggar at 10 isn't really a Pivac style fly half, so that'll be the point of interest for me.

Don't you believe it - Biggar has shocked me with his adventurous play this season showing abilities that I never thought he had. Slick passing, taking the ball flat etc. He has been a revelation which reflects on his coach and the way he wants to play. Unfortunately Gatland/Howley were extremely conservative and for me didn't utilise the talented backs we had.

For me North is only included because we have problems at 13. I don't see him making the 23 for Italy. Tompkins is a far better player at 13 & realistically is the only 13 in the squad. 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 8:49am
OK, I'll keep an open mind and look out for it. Is that due to a coaching change at Northampton or players around him or has he just decided to evolve his game? If he can do it then it may well illustrate just how conservative Gatland was. Shame he doesn't have Scott and Foxy outside him really so again we're back to the centres as being a massive issue for this 6N but it's our own fault for not developing international players in this position and over-relying upon those two (and Roberts before). Does Pivac try and develop some younger players or stick with Parkes and chuck North in for a solid body? The latter may give a better chance of winning games ugly but does it really get Wales further forward? I can deal with losing a couple of games to get a player closer to being international level at 13, hopefully 12 as well, but it would put the lights on Pivac and his tactics and many fans wouldn't take it well.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 8:56am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Don't you believe it - Biggar has shocked me with his adventurous play this season showing abilities that I never thought he had. Slick passing, taking the ball flat etc. He has been a revelation which reflects on his coach and the way he wants to play. Unfortunately Gatland/Howley were extremely conservative and for me didn't utilise the talented backs we had.

For me North is only included because we have problems at 13. I don't see him making the 23 for Italy. Tompkins is a far better player at 13 & realistically is the only 13 in the squad. 
I have no idea what it is at the ospreys. but all 10s they seem to bring through are very robotic, and a good boot. Cai Evans the latest. Sam Davies was instructed to be that, Biggar before him... it all starts there with Dan Biggar. no idea why as he is showing now, he has the skills to be an attacking 10 but for whatever reason every coach he has had until now, obviously not interested in bringing those skills out. Gatland/howley era coached robots. and that was a shame.

I agree regarding North. Italy IMO will see a few debuts. Probably Parkes/Tompkins in midfield with McNicholl and Adams on the wing with Zammit on bench.
I have no idea of Tompkins contractual status, but reading between the lines, McCall stating that sarries and England were unaware that he qualified for Wales until a month ago - Gareth Jenkins involved here and a regional offer (hopefully Scarlets) perhaps?

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 9:01am

I have no idea what it is at the ospreys. but all 10s they seem to bring through are very robotic, and a good boot. Cai Evans the latest. Sam Davies was instructed to be that, Biggar before him... it all starts there with Dan Biggar. no idea why as he is showing now, he has the skills to be an attacking 10 but for whatever reason every coach he has had until now, obviously not interested in bringing those skills out. Gatland/howley era coached robots. and that was a shame.

I agree regarding North. Italy IMO will see a few debuts. Probably Parkes/Tompkins in midfield with McNicholl and Adams on the wing with Zammit on bench.
I have no idea of Tompkins contractual status, but reading between the lines, McCall stating that sarries and England were unaware that he qualified for Wales until a month ago - Gareth Jenkins involved here and a regional offer (hopefully Scarlets) perhaps?

Well both Pivac & Mulvihill have stated that they tried to sign him before. Could be an ideal time to strike while Saracens are looking to trim their budget. Blues can have Carre we have Tompkins - simples. Both to sign for Welsh regions from mid March onwards. 
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 9:17am

Well both Pivac & Mulvihill have stated that they tried to sign him before. Could be an ideal time to strike while Saracens are looking to trim their budget. Blues can have Carre we have Tompkins - simples. Both to sign for Welsh regions from mid March onwards. 
Ddint realise that about Tompkins. I thought they were on about the lock from Wasps that they tried to sign. Pivac twice. unless I read the article wrong.
would be a real coup though.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 9:59am
I think the front 5 will be Wyn, Ken, WillGriff, Jake & AWJ.

Back row is interesting, does Faletau go straight back in? If so does that mean Tipuric & Shingler on the flanks?

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 11:11am
Shingler is behind naivdi and wainwright for a starting slot and moriarty for a bench slot. Sounds like hill is going to be used to cover 6 as well.  Looks like tomkins is being lined up to come to wales and joe thomas being lined up to come back to wales to.  I don’t see the wru wanting its three top centres at 1 region So we may miss out on tomkins.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 11:15am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Shingler is behind naivdi and wainwright for a starting slot and moriarty for a bench slot. Sounds like hill is going to be used to cover 6 as well.  Looks like tomkins is being lined up to come to wales and joe thomas being lined up to come back to wales to.  I don’t see the wru wanting its three top centres at 1 region So we may miss out on tomkins.

If that's the case we may well see a fair bit of Shingler whilst the 6 nations is on.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

With that in mind though, we need to start building fresh centres. we have 3 centres all of which are 31. one looks exhausted due to international rugby, one has had his second or third season ending injury in as many years...and the other has played just 1 game this year due to injury.

We have good squad players in Steff and Asquith and Baldwin is still a young prospect.
It could be that Tompkins and Baldwin could be the next partnership.  

Edited by PE SA - 16 January 2020 at 11:58am
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 11:27am
fair enough and i agree we should get him in. but if these guys are part of that 38 man squad and the wru are paying their salary (not sure how it works tbh) they are going to want them being 1st choice at a region. So if we get tomkins well prob have to lose the likes of parkes to another region. I’m just guessing of course does anyone know how the new 38 elite squad works
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic