Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets team vs Glasgow (a)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2020 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by Pentigili Pentigili wrote:

I thought Leigh carried as much as any of our backs tonight  and if you annalyse the yardage he probably made more.

Of course he did,he plays full-back and Glasgow kicked a lot.
He didn’t cost us the game 🤨

Glasgow kicked poorly,too.
Sponsored Links

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2020 at 11:54pm
Halfpenny and Kalamafoni were the top 2 for metres made. Kalamafoni on top with 67, Leigh with 64. Johnny Williams and Tom Rogers both in the 40s. Steff in the 30s... Everyone else below 10m. Seeing Halfpenny and Kalamafoni come in for some unnecessary stick. 

I'd like to see Costellow or Angus have a crack at 10 next week. 
A back line of Blacker, Costellow, SteffE, Hughes, Tyler, Conbeer, Rogers for me next week.
Pack of Rob Evs, Daf Hughes, Kruger, Tex, Rawlins, Kennedy, Cubby, Kalamafoni. 
Bench of Price, Jones, Sebastien, Helps, Morgan, Homer, Dan, Asquith. 
Going to be tough in Italy without everyone. 
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 12:43am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Halfpenny and Kalamafoni were the top 2 for metres made. Kalamafoni on top with 67, Leigh with 64. Johnny Williams and Tom Rogers both in the 40s. Steff in the 30s... Everyone else below 10m. Seeing Halfpenny and Kalamafoni come in for some unnecessary stick. 

A back line of Blacker, Costellow, SteffE, Hughes, Tyler, Conbeer, Rogers for me next week.

A few years ago we were making that kind of yardage in the space of a few moves.We have short memories,sometimes
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 9:12am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

I was thinking during the week how our greatest rugby was played sometimes with Dan at 10 and Patchell 15.

I would like to see that again. 

The Scarlet way is nothing without an attacking threat from 15.

As good as HP is, he doesnt offer that attacking threat from deep.  Seriously limiting us. 
He would be the first name on my team sheet every game. He's worth his weight in gold.

He won't be fully appreciated until he isn't there.
he is a great goal kicker great defensive 15 but poor im attack. First name on team sheet? When  patchell is fit at 10 and liam and jonny mac are fit i wouldn’t even have halfpenny in the team tbh, just my view though i think delaney thinks in a similar way to you regarding halfpenny
He is absolutely not poor in attack. Would he have achieved all he has if he was poor in attack? It’s not just Delaney who thinks in a similar way it’s every coach whose ever coached him 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 9:13am

Sebastian over Kruger who isn’t a great scrummager 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 4:40pm

I was thinking during the week how our greatest rugby was played sometimes with Dan at 10 and Patchell 15.

As good as HP is, he doesnt offer that attacking threat from deep.  Seriously limiting us. 
He would be the first name on my team sheet every game. He's worth his weight in gold.

he is a great goal kicker great defensive 15 but poor im attack. First name on team sheet? When  patchell is fit at 10 and liam and jonny mac are fit i wouldn’t even have halfpenny in the team tbh, just my view though i think delaney thinks in a similar way to you regarding halfpenny
He is absolutely not poor in attack. Would he have achieved all he has if he was poor in attack? It’s not just Delaney who thinks in a similar way it’s every coach whose ever coached him 

correction he wasn't poor in attack , when he first broke into senior rugby he was a nippy try scoring winger now he is a defensive 15

The game is not all about attack though as I said he is a great goal kicker, has great positional awareness and is excellent under the high ball so I can see why coaches pick him and yes he has had a great career

But let's kid ourselves he is  limited in  attack  at the moment , tell me the last time you saw him come into the back line and make a break, our launch a counter attack and beat a few men?

I can't really recall him doing that for region or country for ages. It's not personal and it doesn't mean he is  finished but he is coming much more of an defensive 15 than an attacking one and has been for the last few years now.

I dare say pivac will pick him to play vs france though but once liam is fully fit it will be a tight call, for sure wales don't need biggar and halfpenny in the same team

Edited by RR1972 - 12 October 2020 at 4:50pm
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 5:31pm

I feel Kruger offers much more. Just don't see anything in Sebastian at all. It's worrying over next few months havi g Sebastian and Kruger as options. One injury and in steps O'connor from the academy. A definite area that we need to bolster when we can. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 5:43pm
Kruger's work rate is amazing for a prop. Never been a great scrummager though.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 6:06pm

correction he wasn't poor in attack , when he first broke into senior rugby he was a nippy try scoring winger now he is a defensive 15

The game is not all about attack though as I said he is a great goal kicker, has great positional awareness and is excellent under the high ball so I can see why coaches pick him and yes he has had a great career

But let's kid ourselves he is  limited in  attack  at the moment , tell me the last time you saw him come into the back line and make a break, our launch a counter attack and beat a few men?

I can't really recall him doing that for region or country for ages. It's not personal and it doesn't mean he is  finished but he is coming much more of an defensive 15 than an attacking one and has been for the last few years now.

I dare say pivac will pick him to play vs france though but once liam is fully fit it will be a tight call, for sure wales don't need biggar and halfpenny in the same team

Baldwin'ns try against LI.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 6:21pm
A defensive 15 looks on the numbers for what we need right now
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 7:04pm

I feel Kruger offers much more. Just don't see anything in Sebastian at all. It's worrying over next few months havi g Sebastian and Kruger as options. One injury and in steps O'connor from the academy. A definite area that we need to bolster when we can. 
Apart from the fact one is a strong scrummager and the other isn’t 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Yes I agree.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 7:06pm

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Yes I agree.
spot on. I worry On JS. He's 27, not a prospect. I personally don't think Kruger is any worse. In the scrum than Sebastian. But Kruger hands down does more around the field. Each to their own though. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 10:50am
Pretty meaningless to discuss any shortcomings Leigh may or may not have - our attacking ambitions should be based on the merits and strengths of the selected backs. Where were any moves involving our blind side wingers coming into the line to create overlaps? 

Identifying Leigh or Dan or Steff as reasons for our failures is way off the mark. Our team should go out for every game with a detailed idea of how we are going to beat the opposition. Against Glasgow on a perfect track in good weather conditions we were clueless. That is down to coaching. 
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 11:06am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Pretty meaningless to discuss any shortcomings Leigh may or may not have - our attacking ambitions should be based on the merits and strengths of the selected backs. Where were any moves involving our blind side wingers coming into the line to create overlaps? 

Identifying Leigh or Dan or Steff as reasons for our failures is way off the mark. Our team should go out for every game with a detailed idea of how we are going to beat the opposition. Against Glasgow on a perfect track in good weather conditions we were clueless. That is down to coaching. 

When Gareth Jenkins was coach he was always analysing the opposition and played accordingly.  Today, with the huge amount of data available to coaches there is no excuse not to have a game plan targeting the opposition's weaknesses, as Glasgow succeeded in doing.  We may well have had a "cunning plan" of our own but if we did we were not well drilled enough to execute it.
Keep the faith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic