Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team vs Benetton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

dan davies took his opportunities with both hands last year(outstanding in paris) yet he hasnt featured yet.
I agree he was very good last year but would you select him ahead of Josh Blade or Cubby. He will have his chance in the next few games hopefully along with the very impressive Jac Morgan. 
until cubby starts showing some of his form from 2 years ago then i would have dan or jac instead of him.
Cubby was very good off the bench yesterday in all fairness.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Sponsored Links

Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 4:11pm

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

dan davies took his opportunities with both hands last year(outstanding in paris) yet he hasnt featured yet.
I agree he was very good last year but would you select him ahead of Josh Blade or Cubby. He will have his chance in the next few games hopefully along with the very impressive Jac Morgan. 
until cubby starts showing some of his form from 2 years ago then i would have dan or jac instead of him.

Well he turned the ball over twice in less than 40 minutes worth of rugby which I thought was pretty impresive.
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 6:06pm
Cubby looked much better when he came on yesterday than he did against Munster. I’d be very happy for him to start against Benetton, provided he doesn’t now get a Wales call-up
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 9:13pm
16 Benneton players I think in Italy squad as well.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2020 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

Originally posted by ChrisX ChrisX wrote:

Pivac said that Liam will see SOME rugby on that weekend, presume with Scarlets? If so I edit my team team above with Sanjay at 15, Rogers wing. Italy and Scotland name their squads tomorrow right?

Ahh ok, I wasn't aware Pivac had said that. Makes total sense given his lack of game time.

Yes he did and both France and Wales consider this game a friendly too.
Scarlets before Wales
Maple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 10:41am
I'd play  "Elvis" at outside half.
Give Blood, Play Rugby
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 11:30am
The make up of our back row will depend on our lineout. Without Aaron Blade fits the go to athlete for us but it didn't work against Glasgow. I worry that all the verbal hype surrounding Jac Morgan from our coaches really show us the way they are thinking. Forward oriented. For all his many gifts he is not the 7 I see as a Scarlet 7 - good at the breakdown but also be capable of playing comfortably in the channels. 

If you play 2 of Morgan, Cubby or Dan Davies then Casseim must start at 8 for his good lineout work in my opinion. I think Tex will be available for Benetton game & I also think that Pivac has earmarked Liam for that game. so here would be my team :-

15. Rogers 14. Steff 13. Tyler 12. Asquith 11. Conbeer 10. AOB 9. Blacker
1. Rob 2. Taylor 3. Javan 4. Rawlins 5. Helps 6. Kennedy 7. Cubby (Captain)8. Casseim

16. Daf Hughes 17. Price 18. Werner 19. Drake 20. Dan Davies 21. Homer 22. Dan 23. Steff Hughes. 

My team is selected to play high tempo running rugby not to get into an arm wrestle with big Italian units. 

Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 11:56am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

The make up of our back row will depend on our lineout. Without Aaron Blade fits the go to athlete for us but it didn't work against Glasgow. I worry that all the verbal hype surrounding Jac Morgan from our coaches really show us the way they are thinking. Forward oriented. For all his many gifts he is not the 7 I see as a Scarlet 7 - good at the breakdown but also be capable of playing comfortably in the channels. 

If you play 2 of Morgan, Cubby or Dan Davies then Casseim must start at 8 for his good lineout work in my opinion. I think Tex will be available for Benetton game & I also think that Pivac has earmarked Liam for that game. so here would be my team :-

1. Rob 2. Taylor 3. Javan 4. Rawlins 5. Helps 6. Kennedy 7. Cubby (Captain)8. Casseim

16. Daf Hughes 17. Price 18. Werner 19. Drake 20. Dan Davies 21. Homer 22. Dan 23. Steff Hughes. 

My team is selected to play high tempo running rugby not to get into an arm wrestle with big Italian units. 

completely agree, an arm wrestle against Benetton is go to Treviso knowing to lose the match
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 11:58am
I think they will start Steff Hughes and Dinky. But I too would want to see a change. 
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

completely agree, an arm wrestle against Benetton is go to Treviso knowing to lose the match

I appreciate the need to avoid the arm-wrestle.However,this would require a complete change of philosophy by the coaches....on the basis of what we've seen so far,something akin to a religious conversion would be needed:is Treviso somewhere on the road to Damascus?
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 12:03pm
I think Kalamafoni is undroppable as the only guy in the pack, and Halfpenny aside, the only player on the pitch getting over the gain line. If he doesn't start, we need him on the bench in my opinion. Jac Morgan has been named by both Mooar and Delaney to kick in both believing he has a huge future in the game. Let's also not forget he has been captain of all teams he has played in, even the captain v Ospreys couple of weeks back. I don't think it shows that they are forward orientated. But let's be honest, we need a forward game plan. It's somethi g that has held us back for years having not a plan b for want of a better phrase. We can chuck it about. We can attack. But developing a forward game on top of that is what we need. And perhaps what we are doing. Look at leinster for example. If they need a forward orientated game, they have one. But that's aided by good attacking play as well. We need both and I'm happy to see we are trying to develop that area. Our maul under Kelly is already showing signs of big improvement in only 4 games. Early days but it's something we certainly need in our armour. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

I think Kalamafoni is undroppable as the only guy in the pack, and Halfpenny aside, the only player on the pitch getting over the gain line. If he doesn't start, we need him on the bench in my opinion. Jac Morgan has been named by both Mooar and Delaney to kick in both believing he has a huge future in the game. Let's also not forget he has been captain of all teams he has played in, even the captain v Ospreys couple of weeks back. I don't think it shows that they are forward orientated. But let's be honest, we need a forward game plan. It's somethi g that has held us back for years having not a plan b for want of a better phrase. We can chuck it about. We can attack. But developing a forward game on top of that is what we need. And perhaps what we are doing. Look at leinster for example. If they need a forward orientated game, they have one. But that's aided by good attacking play as well. We need both and I'm happy to see we are trying to develop that area. Our maul under Kelly is already showing signs of big improvement in only 4 games. Early days but it's something we certainly need in our armour. 

For sure having a forward based game is a must for the occasions where weather and red zone attacking lineouts are concerned. However if we are intent on developing that part of our game why have we forgotten how to pass and attack.

I also have to disagree with you with regard to our lineout. It is appalling & has been for at least 3/4 years
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

I appreciate the need to avoid the arm-wrestle.However,this would require a complete change of philosophy by the coaches....on the basis of what we've seen so far,something akin to a religious conversion would be needed:is Treviso somewhere on the road to Damascus?

I take your point Dic - we can only live in hope. 
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 12:33pm

For sure having a forward based game is a must for the occasions where weather and red zone attacking lineouts are concerned. However if we are intent on developing that part of our game why have we forgotten how to pass and attack.

I also have to disagree with you with regard to our lineout. It is appalling & has been for at least 3/4 years
I didn't mention our line out... I though Elias had a poor day throwing. Not all on him though I know. Don't get me wrong there's plenty to work on. And a new forwards coach isn't going to get things right straight away. I'm just seeing progress with a driving maul and a pack beginning to be a pack. As I said, still early days. But definitely an area we need.
I agree the skills recently. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 12:40pm

I didn't mention our line out... I though Elias had a poor day throwing. Not all on him though I know. Don't get me wrong there's plenty to work on. And a new forwards coach isn't going to get things right straight away. I'm just seeing progress with a driving maul and a pack beginning to be a pack. As I said, still early days. But definitely an area we need.

Yes you are right it is early. Richard Kelly made a name for himself in the Premiership by getting a pack playing like a pack - an 8 man team if you like. I really hope he succeeds because that has been a weak area for us over the years. However I do get a feeling that this coaching ticket have decided to give more emphasis to tight forward exchanges at the expense of our all court attacking game. 

Nobody would be happier if we develop a pack that can take advantage of red zone chances whether they are driving lineouts or pick and go attacks but not at the expense of our historic attacking ambitions. 
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 12:50pm

Yes you are right it is early. Richard Kelly made a name for himself in the Premiership by getting a pack playing like a pack - an 8 man team if you like. I really hope he succeeds because that has been a weak area for us over the years. However I do get a feeling that this coaching ticket have decided to give more emphasis to tight forward exchanges at the expense of our all court attacking game. 

Nobody would be happier if we develop a pack that can take advantage of red zone chances whether they are driving lineouts or pick and go attacks but not at the expense of our historic attacking ambitions. 

I also think there are signs of improvement in the pack,but have been surprised that Lousi has not become the main line-out option(there could be reasons I haven't noticed,but he was primarily a line-out fwd before coming to Llanelli.)However,if it is the coaches' intention to play an attritional,forward dominated mode of rugby,the club will need to spend a lot more to win any silver-ware that way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic