Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10 years since Gravs death

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 years since Gravs death
    Posted: 27 October 2017 at 10:36pm
It's slowly coming up to the tenth anniversary of Gravs death. ( October 31st) so I thought it appropriate that in the lead up to the anniversary, we remembered one of our greatest sons. It's funny how some of our most famous sons died on foreign soil. We need to remember the legacy be gave us. He epitomised everything that is good in our region. Diolch am yr atgofion Ray ac I ni Yma o Hyd. Meddwl am y teulu.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2017 at 11:03pm
Diolch Llandre.
Not exactly appropriate, but some new Grav Groggs just out ( sorry too twp to post pics)
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 2:22am
I have his book to read on the plane next week...life and soul of the club, a truly great man, yet so very humble.
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 2:58am
Remember catching the bus in Carmarthen to head up to Leicester for the semi final in 2007, and signing a card wishing Grav the best following his leg amputation.

To think that 6 months later, he was no longer with us. So sad.

Grav's legacy lives on, forever. A true Scarlet.
All Time Favourite Scarlets XV

B Davies, M Jones, R King, J Davies, D James, S Jones, D Peel
R Evans, K Owens, J Davies, V Cooper, C Wyatt, S Easterby, J Davies, S Quinnell
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 8:22am
Grav epitomised the Scarlets. He lived & breathed our great club. To hear him talk about the Scarlets & Wales sent shivers of pride down my back. One of the truly great Scarlets.
totallybiasedscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 10:13am
After the Ebbw Vale cup final in Bristol I got on the pitch with everyone else and bumped into Grav. I think it was probably the effect of a number of beers but I gave him a big hug and said "fi'n caru ti Grav boi!" I don't think he quite knew what to make of it but at least he laughed at me - my mates never let me live that one down!
I've seen the truth ... and I don't understand it!
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 10:24am

A true legend of a man and Scarlet !!!
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 11:10am
As a club, I think it took us 4-5 years to get over/move on (or whatever the correct terminology is) from his death. His presence at the club and his loss was that huge.

He would have loved last season. No doubt about that. He`ll never be forgotten.
In Pivac we trust
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 2:02pm
Grav was a truly great person... he had an immense heart... I don't believe there was anyone in the whole world who would/could dislike him...

The Scarlets have produced any number of great players, and many superb characters, but somehow I think Grav stands alone as the most loved Scarlet of all time... and I don't believe anyone could begrudge him that accolade.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
scarletsmad_87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote scarletsmad_87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 2:24pm
Grav was an immense character and a pure Scarlet.  
I watched the Pro12 final in the Heart and Soul cafe at the Parc. During the celebrations of lifting the trophy an elderly man sitting next to me with a tear in his eye tapped me on the shoulder and said "There is a man who would have loved this". 
I knew exactly who he meant, "Grav".     
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 2:46pm
Never to be forgotten.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 8:38am
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

As a club, I think it took us 4-5 years to get over/move on (or whatever the correct terminology is) from his death. His presence at the club and his loss was that huge.

He would have loved last season. No doubt about that. He`ll never be forgotten.

Yes totally. The Wasps home game, Mcgechan laid a wreathe at start of the game. From that point on we went into our shells. Players and fans.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 11:44am
Originally posted by PritchyTheScarlet PritchyTheScarlet wrote:

Remember catching the bus in Carmarthen to head up to Leicester for the semi final in 2007, and signing a card wishing Grav the best following his leg amputation.

To think that 6 months later, he was no longer with us. So sad.

Grav's legacy lives on, forever. A true Scarlet.
we spent the night before that game painting on a roll of wallpaper in red gloss paint "get well soon grav,west is best" it was in the western mail on the Monday and I've still got the picture from that paper,he died on my wedding anniversary so I always remember the date of his passing.great man.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 9:25am
Thinking of Mari and the girls today. Diolch am yr atgofion Grav.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
cymraes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cymraes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 10:42am
  Hard to choose my favourtie 'Grav-ism' .  The most often quoted is 'You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late' but my favourite goes along the line of 'The Scarlets never lose - occasionally the other team score more points'.   Much loved, much missed.

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 10:58am
What an absolute legend. Been reading some of the quotes this morning of how he went with JJ to meet a senior manager at Mettoy looking for some business for his new chemical company employer. When asked if he was playing on Saturday Grav shared his concerns over his shoulder with the manager before proceeding to wallop him across the room & ask his thoughts - totally priceless!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic