Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1st game of the millennium?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimcyril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st game of the millennium?
    Posted: 07 October 2005 at 4:38pm

hi

can anyone help me please?

someone asked me what was the first game the scarlets played in 2000, hence the 1st game of the decade, century and milennium.

i couldn't remember

does anyone have the answer please?

Sponsored Links

Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2005 at 7:19pm

I can't remember either but just to be pedantic, the millennium started on Jan 1st 2001 as there wasn't a year 0 and the years of AD are calculated back to year 1. If the millennium started on 01/01/2000 then the 20th century only had 99 years as they celebrated the start of that century on 01/01/1901.

LOL ;-)

merlin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2005 at 3:48pm

Think it was at home against Whitland in the cup?

scarletchick View Drop Down
HUA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletchick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2005 at 9:19pm
Played Bridgend away on Jan 3rd lost 10-9.
SaesFool View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaesFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2005 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

I can't remember either but just to be pedantic, the millennium started on Jan 1st 2001 as there wasn't a year 0 and the years of AD are calculated back to year 1. If the millennium started on 01/01/2000 then the 20th century only had 99 years as they celebrated the start of that century on 01/01/1901.

LOL ;-)

Wasn't there multiple changes of how we calculated the calender?  I seem to recall the last change in the 1800s was adopted by most nations but not Russia, so the October revolution was in November by their calender.

Therefore under the calender used originally we might be in the next millenium in the modern calenders year 2000, or maybe even earlier.

Edited by SaesFool
Is this a case of great minds...
Or fools rarely... ?
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2005 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by SaesFool SaesFool wrote:

LOL ;-)

Wasn't there multiple changes of how we calculated the calender?  I seem to recall the last change in the 1800s was adopted by most nations but not Russia, so the October revolution was in November by their calender.

Therefore under the calender used originally we might be in the next millenium in the modern calenders year 2000, or maybe even earlier.

There was no change of calendar in the 20th century and the world celebrated the new milennium on 01/01/1901 not 01/01/1900. There were actual celebrations, so therefore in order to allow the 20th centrury to have the correct number of years (i.e. 100), it ended at midnight on December 31st 2000.

Am I a pedant or what?

MikeM View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2005 at 7:10pm

Originally posted by SaesFool SaesFool wrote:

LOL ;-)

There was no change of calendar in the 20th century and the world celebrated the new milennium on 01/01/1901 not 01/01/1900. There were actual celebrations, so therefore in order to allow the 20th centrury to have the correct number of years (i.e. 100), it ended at midnight on December 31st 2000.

Am I a pedant or what?

Definitely :o)

Through Thick And Thin!
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2005 at 9:20pm

Thought so.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic