Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

20 players out of contract

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by sgsmorgan sgsmorgan wrote:

I think in the past the decision was to try and help support the O's in their bid for Euro Glory and then try and help the others in their wake so to speak.

Now that the O's possibly have hit a temporary (probably) hiatus then the WRU will back and try and run with the Scarlet's attempt for greater success. By this hopefully they'll try and help the club maintain it's challenge for honours and bigger and better success.

Basically the WRU is not rich enough to fully get behind each and every region and just evenly distributing the NDC's around on a per region basis actually tends to perpetuate an "average" performance as opposed to trying to target those with real potential to put Welsh Club/Regional Rugby on the European Map.

Hopefully the WRU will recognise that of the four Regions the Scarlets over the next 2-3 Seasons have arguably the best chance of serious silverware and support us.

But this is Tribal Wales we're talking about so the above common sense may not apply.

Hard to know what to expect from the Ospreys this season...They have let go of a few tidy players like underhill, matavesi, grabham and ardron..which surprises me... On the upside Cory allen is a big signing, hes a dangerous player plus several will be back from injury like watkin , brad davies, lydiate, maybe beck...plus hook could be a shrewd signing. 
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

najbritcol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 5:37pm
Beck wasn't injured most of last season, just used sparingly as his past injuries limit his game time.  As for the Scarlets' European pool, Toulon are in decline and Bath really underachieve relative to their squad (not unlike the Ospreys pre-2012), so Scarlets definitely should be facing their chances this time.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 5:44pm
In 2017/18 Ospreys are poo - end of. I don't know why but they haven't really recruited and they haven't sacked Tandy. I think they're treading water and waiting for something. Don't know what tho
Supporter of the evil region against the gallant union
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

In 2017/18 Ospreys are poo - end of. I don't know why but they haven't really recruited and they haven't sacked Tandy. I think they're treading water and waiting for something. Don't know what tho

I agree, no investment, no owner support, just treading water as AWJ gets older and Biggar may leave at the end of the season.

Reverse of the Scarlets' ownership group in a smaller market, which underscores how committed they are.
Sosban89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 7:30pm
I think some are underestimating the Ospreys. I think they'll still be there or there abouts. Even after not looking amazing they still made top 4 last season.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

I think some are underestimating the Ospreys. I think they'll still be there or there abouts. Even after not looking amazing they still made top 4 last season.

They were flattered by the fixtures last season. Their pack is shocking.
Supporter of the evil region against the gallant union

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 9:02pm

All teams ultimately face each other in the same league (until now with the conferences, but that's another matter).  Last season, Ospreys accumulated lots of bonus points winning against teams at the middle and lower end of the table, and were even undefeated between December and February in all competitions.  However, they did struggle against Leinster and Munster, especially away, and suffered a growing injury crisis that reached its peak just after the Six Nations, made somewhat worse still by losing their beloved AWJ.  All the same, I do agree that their props are poor at the moment (and that is where their injury crisis was worst, along with the wings), but their other forwards are a lot better still.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

All teams ultimately face each other in the same league (until now with the conferences, but that's another matter).  Last season, Ospreys accumulated lots of bonus points winning against teams at the middle and lower end of the table, and were even undefeated between December and February in all competitions.  However, they did struggle against Leinster and Munster, especially away, and suffered a growing injury crisis that reached its peak just after the Six Nations, made somewhat worse still by losing their beloved AWJ.  All the same, I do agree that their props are poor at the moment (and that is where their injury crisis was worst, along with the wings), but their other forwards are a lot better still.

They really don't have much depth and the combination of injuries and call ups hurt them.  Big drop off from First XV to Second XV, unlike the Scarlets.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2017 at 8:46am
I, for one, will not be writing off the Ospreys. With talent like Arhip, AWJ, Bradley, Tipuric, Webb, Biggar, Watkins, Beck, Hook, Corey Allen, Hassler & Dan Evans they will be a match for many. They have issues of depth in the back 3 & front row which they have not addressed yet so will need luck with injuries. They are worthy opponents.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2017 at 11:03am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

I cant see cubby leaving tbh.
He's an international class player who can't get capped no matter how well he plays with his lack of Wales call ups making him more attractive to French and English clubs than a large amount of Wales squad players. He's achieved a hell of a lot at Scarlets so he may look for a new a challenge where he can earn more money. I don't think he's nailed on to stay as he will undoubtedly be the subject of a lot of big money offers.

I agree with this. I think he'll go on his travels for a season or two then come back. Hope he doesn't mind. Interesting that Tadgh denied all knowledge of an interest from Ireland.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2017 at 3:04pm
The Scarlets' management seems much more professional than the other regions, I think we are in good hands.
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2017 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

The Scarlets' management seems much more professional than the other regions, I think we are in good hands.

It wasn't always this way. We've been in the doldrums for some time while the Ospreys and Blues raced ahead, so these things are cyclical. The canceling of contracts and releasing injured players (Daf James et al.) did nothing for other credibility, but we've certainly turned a corner.

What we have always had is excellent supportive benefactors which do give us that stability, but I think the professionalism of the club has evolved since we've arrived at Y Parc.
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2017 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

They really don't have much depth and the combination of injuries and call ups hurt them.  Big drop off from First XV to Second XV, unlike the Scarlets.

I agree that the gap between the Ospreys first and second-choice XVs is a lot bigger than that of the Scarlets - I said as much myself in a thread I opened both here and on ScumV and was pilloried for it.  Nevertheless, for their to not be much difference between first and second-choice XV does not always mean much - you could argue that there isn't much difference between the first XV and second XV in the Italian teams and the Dragons, just for the opposite reasons to the Scarlets...
dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2017 at 1:11pm
As an indication of the challenge we have in keeping all our out of contract players, Esportif have just posted highlights videos for Cubby, Barclay and Ball.

https://vimeo.com/user9099612

It's standard practice to do this for players, whether they are looking for an extension or otherwise so nothing to worry about too much at this stage. Indication however that players are looking to see what's out there for them.
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2017 at 2:41pm
If things go as well as I suspect they will this year, who would want to leave? Sanjay had a change of heart by all accounts. Its such a happy camp down there. Add winning to that mix and it snowballs. The only ones who may leave are those not getting enough gametime. Players are approaching us and want to play for us. Since we've gone pro this period is as good as it gets. We may lose one or two, but more will be knocking on our door.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2017 at 2:49pm
Somewhat ironically Wales' blatant blind spot about Cubby makes him more appealing to English clubs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>
  Share Topic