Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

20 players out of contract

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 37>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2017 at 3:42pm
Not the best of starts today, but we can still do this..
Sponsored Links

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2017 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

The Scarlets will attract both Welsh and Non Welsh players based on:
1) team success
2) the style of play, 
3) the creative coaching team, and 
4) the excellent facilities at PYS.

We need QF at a minimum this year in the ECC  which should provide the additional cash for 2-3 players.

A home KO in the P14 would be worth £200k or more. I think I read that with prize money a home QF in Europe could be worth double that .
It’s not unthinkable

I saw a headline when I passed the paper stand that said 6N will be losing £5M sponsorship money. I wonder if that could affect our revenues.
I don't think so really. It's a huge blow, but £5m split 6 ways is £830k per union. I doubt WRU will make a significant change to their plans based on that
Supporter of the evil region against the gallant union
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 1:45pm
Gatland's Law scrapped then (not that it actually existed). How what effect does this have on our current crop out of contract at the end of the year?

Jake and Scott don't have 60-caps so that could be a positive move in keeping them, Moriarty may be convinced over the bridge in the same regards - but what about Foxy? He has over 60-caps, so could move unaffected.

Bold move this. Perhaps desperate, but may help and hinder us. 

Edited by PearlJam - 16 October 2017 at 1:45pm
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 1:48pm
It’s a capitulation, and long overdue.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Indeed. It was a silly idea in the first place.

As for Foxy - he's already 'done' France, and seems to be enjoying his time with the Scarlets, and playing with Cubby. I hope he's here to stay.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

Gatland's Law scrapped then (not that it actually existed). How what effect does this have on our current crop out of contract at the end of the year?

Jake and Scott don't have 60-caps so that could be a positive move in keeping them, Moriarty may be convinced over the bridge in the same regards - but what about Foxy? He has over 60-caps, so could move unaffected.

Bold move this. Perhaps desperate, but may help and hinder us. 

This is great news for us. Although i think it should be 60 caps or X amount of years service to a region. We need to try and keep the players when in their prime.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 2:21pm
It's not perfect but a step in the right direction. You'd have to say that this does make us favorites for Moriarty's signature although there are another 2 regions interested.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Leaner times ahead for the WRU, just when the game needs more financial support. The WRU has a very large expensive executive headcount for a non profit organization.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

It's not perfect but a step in the right direction. You'd have to say that this does make us favorites for Moriarty's signature although there are another 2 regions interested.

Where’s he from? Are there any factors that could influence his decision?

PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Matthew Cardey Matthew Cardey wrote:

This is great news for us. Although i think it should be 60 caps or X amount of years service to a region. We need to try and keep the players when in their prime.

I think the 60-caps leaves no room for ambiguity. You're in or you're out; you have a decision to make. What this doesn't change is the financial capacity of the Regions. A rule like this should be backed up with a plan to pay players a market rate to keep them here - or to at least compete at that level. 

You can't expect Rhys Webb, for example, to play for £200k when Toulon offer £600k. 

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 3:28pm
We are never going to be in a position to challenge the money on offer from England or France. Only Rhys Webb could tell us if he would still have signed had he known about the new ruling. My total guess is if the figures are say £330-350K on an NDC against £500-600K in Toulon over 2/3 years then its a no brainer. 
Sosban89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

We are never going to be in a position to challenge the money on offer from England or France. Only Rhys Webb could tell us if he would still have signed had he known about the new ruling. My total guess is if the figures are say £330-350K on an NDC against £500-600K in Toulon over 2/3 years then its a no brainer. 

The other thing to consider is the fees received for playing for wales, which I believe is around £5k per game? Which means if you play 10 games a year for wales over that 3 year contract they'd have received an additional 150k and got to play for your country.
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

Originally posted by Matthew Cardey Matthew Cardey wrote:

I think the 60-caps leaves no room for ambiguity. You're in or you're out; you have a decision to make. What this doesn't change is the financial capacity of the Regions. A rule like this should be backed up with a plan to pay players a market rate to keep them here - or to at least compete at that level. 

You can't expect Rhys Webb, for example, to play for £200k when Toulon offer £600k. 

No but we are going to have to find a middle ground and use the dream of playing for wales and going to world cups, lions tours as an incentive to play in wales. shame this hadnt come in years ago. Players cannot go on about going to another club to win trophies as they now have a viable option to come to the scarlets.
Doubt liam would have left.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 3:49pm
Webb is on record as not knowing this was in the pipeline.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 4:03pm
Gatland quoted in today's press conference:
“We spoke to Derwyn (Jones) to say this policy was potentially coming. I’ve spoken to Rhys and he spoke to Rhys."

Seems they're trying to make a high-profile example of Webb to get others' attention, and maybe to 'encourage' him consider not signing the final contract with Toulon - somewhat clumsy, if so, although they seem to accept that there may be at least one top-drawer casualty. Ouch

Edited by NobbySosban - 16 October 2017 at 4:03pm
Twitterer @ebenezer68
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 4:24pm
Either he was told or he wasn't. What do either party gain from telling porkies?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 37>
  Share Topic