Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2020/21 European Competitions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 3:47pm
Sponsored Links

minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

I could be wrong but I don't think that's right. If, for example, we were one of the tier 3 teams in Pool 1 then I read it that we would play the two tier 2 teams in Pool 1 who are not in the Pro 14 and we'd play them both home and away - so only playing two seperate clubs in the pool stages. Yes?
I think you're mistaken (big emphasis on the think there) as if we're playing 4 different teams there won't be any weekends where we're not playing if that makes sense. If you only had 1 English and 1 French team home and away it would mean that certain weekends they'd have to play each other, but from what i've read on twitter from the press etc. it seems we're having 4 straight weekends of games and therefore 2 French teams and 2 English teams, and it'll be pot luck which ones we get home or away.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

I could be wrong but I don't think that's right. If, for example, we were one of the tier 3 teams in Pool 1 then I read it that we would play the two tier 2 teams in Pool 1 who are not in the Pro 14 and we'd play them both home and away - so only playing two seperate clubs in the pool stages. Yes?
I think you're mistaken (big emphasis on the think there) as if we're playing 4 different teams there won't be any weekends where we're not playing if that makes sense. If you only had 1 English and 1 French team home and away it would mean that certain weekends they'd have to play each other, but from what i've read on twitter from the press etc. it seems we're having 4 straight weekends of games and therefore 2 French teams and 2 English teams, and it'll be pot luck which ones we get home or away.

That's not how it is being reported:

So, for example, the Scarlets would face home and away group matches against either Bristol or Wasps and either Racing 92 or Toulon.

Edited by Fscarlet - 02 September 2020 at 4:04pm
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 4:28pm
I can see and Anglo/welsh league discussion now. It favours the English will be the talking point. 
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

So, for example, the Scarlets would face home and away group matches against either Bristol or Wasps and either Racing 92 or Toulon.
You are correct, i have finally somewhat got my head around it all but it seems needlessly confusing.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 4:35pm

You are correct, i have finally somewhat got my head around it all but it seems needlessly confusing.

It took me a few goes mind!!
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 5:19pm
If there will be no internationals for this tournament what is the point. Rob Baxter now coming out to say its going to be difficult.
If It carries on like this pro rugby will have killed itself. Sponsors aren't going to put up with the fact that the best players will not be in the competition. 

Rugby didn't have a better time to restructure the season properly. Time has passed now IMO. 

The squad will be seriously tested this year. More than ever it seems. 

supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 5:24pm

It took me a few goes mind!!
The tiers have 6 teams, 3 from each league and you dont play anyone from your league so for example we wont play Ulster or Munster. 4 weekend, 2 home and 2 away

Edited by supertaf - 03 September 2020 at 9:04am
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 5:46pm
No there are only 2 Pools - Pool A and Pool B. The 4 bit is that the teams will be divided into 4 tiers to decide who goes in which of the 2 pools.
The official 2 minute explanation video can be found on this link from Ultimate Rugby
https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/epcr-reveal-new-24-team-champions-cup/629575

But yes this plan and the communication of it does look like the work of a member (any member) of the current government!

The video makes me think I'm right when I said 'If, for example, we were one of the tier 3 teams in Pool 1 then I read it that we would play the two tier 2 teams in Pool 1 who are not in the Pro 14 and we'd play them both home and away' - BUT ......
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 7:44pm
I remain baffled.

Is it the case, then, that although we will be in a 'league' of 12 teams (us + 11 others), we will only be playing two out of the 11? Seems like a missed opportunity, TBH.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Jones2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I remain baffled.

Is it the case, then, that although we will be in a 'league' of 12 teams (us + 11 others), we will only be playing two out of the 11? Seems like a missed opportunity, TBH.
From what I gather, yes. As others have said I believe those teams will be one of Racing 92 or Toulon and either the third or fourth placed team in the Premiership.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

If there will be no internationals for this tournament what is the point. Rob Baxter now coming out to say its going to be difficult.
If It carries on like this pro rugby will have killed itself. Sponsors aren't going to put up with the fact that the best players will not be in the competition. 

Rugby didn't have a better time to restructure the season properly. Time has passed now IMO. 

It’s for one season. Thousands have died. I think having a season being disjointed is a small price to pay. 
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

It’s for one season. Thousands have died. I think having a season being disjointed is a small price to pay. 
It’s only 1 less game for this change up seems pretty pointless but there we are
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 9:34pm
We’ve been befuddled by the challenges of the virus without needing further disruption by way of such a difficult to understand competition format.

Still, it’ll be what it’ll be....
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2020 at 9:05am

No there are only 2 Pools - Pool A and Pool B. The 4 bit is that the teams will be divided into 4 tiers to decide who goes in which of the 2 pools.
The official 2 minute explanation video can be found on this link from Ultimate Rugby
https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/epcr-reveal-new-24-team-champions-cup/629575

But yes this plan and the communication of it does look like the work of a member (any member) of the current government!

The video makes me think I'm right when I said 'If, for example, we were one of the tier 3 teams in Pool 1 then I read it that we would play the two tier 2 teams in Pool 1 who are not in the Pro 14 and we'd play them both home and away' - BUT ......

Yes exactly right, straightforward. 4 games, 2 home and 2 away versus the non PRO14 teams from Tier 2.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2020 at 11:22am
And we play Toulon of course.....just got to be....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic