Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A word for the ref...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A word for the ref...
    Posted: 18 February 2017 at 9:46am
Andrew Brace, who had an excellent game IMO.

I've often had a go at refs in the past, so it's a pleasure to be able to compliment Mr Brace on a fine all-round performance. He made very few errors - if I wanted to be ultra picky, I'd say he allowed them to steal the ball on the ground once or twice, to blatantly feed the scrum on one occasion (no refs seem to care about this any more) and to ignore a couple of offsides... very minor indeed in the context of a game where he got nearly everything right.

I'd also like to commend his calm, cooling the players down after an outbreak of handbags at one point, and his communication - he always let the players know what he wanted, or explained why they'd been penalised. He'd tell the 9s to play the ball at scrums and mauls, rather than wait for the whole thing to collapse and have to whistle up.

Very well done, Mr Brace.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2017 at 9:50am
Yes good game. Also well done to the front rows who followed his instructions & contributed to a free flowing game with hardly any re-sets. 
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2017 at 10:27am
Well said aber-fan. We are always whinging at the ref, this one deserves credit for a good performance. Thumbs Up
Joshua24:15
2ndtimeround View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndtimeround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2017 at 10:49am
Agreed, have tweeted him to praise his consistent performances, he is certainly one of the better young officials coming through.
ScarletSpiderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2017 at 10:51am
I'd like to watch the game again. As I think it was something like 10-20 mins into the second half before Zebre got awarded their first pen. Either we were exceptionally good with our discipline, or Brace did what I accuse most Irish refs of doing, and refer towards the team that are excepted to be better. Without seeing the game again I can't really comment on which it was.

But he certainly did let the game flow, and didn't get carried away with the whistle. Certainly one of the better games to watch because of that. I can't think of a single situation during the game where I thought he made the wrong call etc (but that could be me being a cyclops).

Edited by ScarletSpiderman - 18 February 2017 at 10:54am
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2017 at 12:25pm

Can only agree with all the previous posts in this topic. Is this a first for Scarlet Fever?

SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2017 at 2:45pm
He does have a tendency to get in the way of the action though, which is something he'll need to work on.
Also he had a slight altercation with their NZ Fullback Kurt Baker which didn't sound great on TV.
But yeah all things considered he reffed well, especially picking up on little indisciplines from Zebre such as stepping across in the line out and adding 10m to a pen for us when they kicked the ball away.
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2017 at 3:43pm
Generally negative. Loves a jackle penalty(some dodgy) and favours the defending team. Rarely see a good game when he s in charge. Enjoyed clancys performance/interpretation of the breakdown last week a lot more.
Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2017 at 4:04pm
Thought the ref was decent enough. Only criticism would be that Zebre were giving penalties away like nobody's business. Should have seen a few more yellows perhaps.
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2017 at 4:34pm
Praise ref's when we win lament them when we lose...

He did alright though
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2017 at 10:58pm
What about the TMO for the first try. Wasn't Steffs foot miles in touch before the ball was grounded?
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2017 at 4:30am
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

What about the TMO for the first try. Wasn't Steffs foot miles in touch before the ball was grounded?

Noy from what I could see. He managed to keep his feet off the ground I thought/
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2017 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

No - I've seen it quite a few times - he managed to lift his leg up off the ground - his other leg was never near touch... a very good finish by Steff, and a good decision by the officials. (Clearest view is from behind the goal-line in slo-mo.)
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2017 at 9:19am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Praise ref's when we win lament them when we lose...

He did alright though

I won't deny there's an element of that, though I and others have in fact criticised refs even when we win... I think everyone deserves praise when they do a good job, and refs don't get a pat on the back often... must be a lonely job!

He kept the game flowing with a minimum of fuss and errors - what more could you want?
ExileTom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExileTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2017 at 9:46am
I think it shows how poor the officiating in the league is when a ref putting in a good performance warrants it's own thread. I bet it doesn't happen often on forums of teams in the English and French leagues.

I do think he had a good performance though and hope he gets more opportunities in the future
dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2017 at 9:57am
We got the rub of the green with the ref, there were a few clear pens against us he didn't give and he let us fly in at the side on countless occasions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic