Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another Pearler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Rambler
Rambler
Apple rule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMELLYMIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Pearler
    Posted: 16 December 2010 at 6:50am
Not going to say anything .......the decsion is yours aloneOuch

Stephen Jones blow may boost Gavin Henson's Wales hopes

Stephen Jones and Gavin Henson
Gavin Henson could replace Stephen Jones as Wales fly-half

Wales great Phil Bennett believes Stephen Jones' injury could pave the way for Gavin Henson's Welsh return.

Scarlets fly-half Jones faces up to four weeks out after straining a ligament in his left knee in their Heineken Cup win against Treviso.

"What happens if Stephen Jones wasn't available for Wales?" Bennett said.

"Would [Wales coach] Warren Gatland switch James Hook... Dan Biggar didn't have the greatest autumn... then the name that struck me - Gavin Henson."

Jones will undergo what the Scarlets medical team are calling a "precautionary scan" on Wednesday on his knee ligament injury.

A Scarlets statement said: "The region's medical team have re-assessed Jones on Tuesday and stated that early signs indicate that the Wales international has a minor knee ligament strain, which will probably keep him out of action for up to four weeks."

Gavin Henson has not played for Wales since March 2009
It wouldn't surprise me if [Gavin Henson] makes his comeback for Wales against England
Wales fly-half legend Phil Bennett

Jones' injury is not just a worry for the Llanelli region but Gatland as well as the Wales coach will already be without wings Shane Williams and George North for the start of the 2011 Six Nations while Lee Byrne faces a race against time to be fit.

Jones is scheduled to recover from his injury two weeks before Wales' Six Nations opener with England on 4 February.

But Wales' number one fly-half could still be short of fitness when the English visit the Millennium Stadium.

Henson, who is set to make his competitive rugby return for Saracens against Wasps at Wembley on Boxing Day, may be considered as a potential replacement for the 33-year-old.

The 2005 British and Irish Lions centre has been out of the game since suffering an ankle injury playing for the Ospreys against Gloucester in March 2009.

606: DEBATE
Evanjonescymru

The 28-year-old, who has been on a sabbatical for more than 18 months, has made no secret of his hope to force his way back into the Wales squad in time for the Six Nations now that his television commitments have ended.

With South African Derick Hougaard ruled out for the majority of the season, Henson could play at fly-half for Saracens, though Owen Farrell has impressed in the role recently and the Premiership side are currently short of centres through injuries.

"I said a few weeks ago when he was still on Strictly Come Dancing, it wouldn't surprise me if Gavin makes his comeback for Wales against England," Wales legend Bennett told BBC Sport.

"And they all laughed at me!

"But stranger things have happened and let's keep on with this story... I don't know, he could be playing number 10 for Wales against England."

Stephen Jones worries Scarlets and Wales fans as he departs with a first-half injury
Stephen Jones' knee injury will trouble both the Scarlets and Wales

Jones' injury is of immediate concern to the Scarlets as coach Nigel Davies will be his talismanic fly-half for their "must-win" Heineken Cup Pool Five trip to Treviso on Saturday.

The British and Irish Lions star is also set to miss the Scarlets' all-Welsh Magners League festive season derbies with Ospreys and Dragons.

A return for the final two European pool games against Leicester and Perpignan in late January is possible for Jones if his rehabilitation goes well, though Bennett would have concerns about his readiness after a month on the sidelines.

"The big worry is the matches he comes back to play," admitted Bennett.

"Leicester at home and Perpignan away in the European Cup is a big ask for Stephen.

"He will be badly missed by the Scarlets but let us hope he recovers in time for Wales."

Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 6:54am
i think he would waltz in to the team if he proves his match fitness,Wink
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
mad scarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mad scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 6:58am
i still remember henson coming on for stevo out in Ireland when stevo was injured.

there henson was with his gelled hair and his orange false tan and shaved legs, he came on and he was cr@p
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 7:46am
Originally posted by mad scarlet mad scarlet wrote:

i still remember henson coming on for stevo out in Ireland when stevo was injured.

there henson was with his gelled hair and his orange false tan and shaved legs, he came on and he was cr@p

Yes he was, Stevo's contribution to the Wales team is so undervalued by most, it's incredible, when he hangs up his boots boy will he be missed, by team lets break you Wales.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"        Roger going life is good.
redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 7:46am
I really despair at journalism like that, Henson hasn't played for almost two years. How the hell can he be linked to playing for wales before he has played a game for his club?
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

The Admiral View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Admiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 8:26am
If Stevo is not fit, I would prefer Henson to BIggar everyday, match fit or not
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 8:33am
Agreed admiral but tovey and rp are also waiting in the wings - not for the England game of course . I have no problem with Henson , I like his confidence I just hope he can back it up .

Edited by Huwbach - 16 December 2010 at 8:34am
sioni77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sioni77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 8:37am
You shouldnt be able to choose to play for Wales when you want. I would rather look to the future with Rhys or Dan Bigger. I'd vote Henson out!
sionione side
corinthian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corinthian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 9:15am
Like him or not, he's class. And he's pretty hard (for a back) too. His troubles all started when he gave that Leicester prop a retaliatory dig and got suspended. He may be a bit of a twonk, but he's strong, pacey talent. Not sure he'll be ready, but he'd be miles better than BIggar. Also, :what happens when RP gets his more than deserved call up ?  We lose BOTH our OH's ? I know the boys we have will step up. but RP has been immense for us so far, and will only get better.
It does not bark and it knows the secrets of the sea.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 9:34am
Some funny posts on Stevo and his injury from another forum yesterday:

Quote Pity the injury's not the 6N. It might have forced gatland to play one of the 3 far more talented 10s in the country instead of sticking with the old limited easy option.

Quote Bugger, hoped he would be out for Six Nations
solihullscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solihullscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 9:50am
Ok who are the three better 10s then?

Are there 3 better in the world?

Edited by solihullscarlet - 16 December 2010 at 9:50am
#UniteAndFight against the crooked Pro12
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 9:58am
How often has Henson played 10 in the last 5 years?

IF he makes the Wales squad by the start of the 6N - and it's a big 'if' - then surely it will be at centre. Tovey is also injured - don't know how bad it is, but he looks a much better bet than Biggar on current form. Stevo will defo play if fit and well.

As for Rhys - he could certainly play 10 for Wales, but he won't be picked unless he either becomes more consistent in his place kicking (has improved, but 'iffy' vs Treviso),or unless we have another good kicker in the 15 (Halfpenny or Henson, maybe).
JonWal View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonWal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 11:26am
Agreed with Aber,regardless if Stevo makes it back before 6N or not, Hesnon will play alongside Dr Bob in the Centre.

Thats a pretty exciting prospect. Henson is Wales' Sonny Bill Williams...

lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 11:29am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Some funny posts on Stevo and his injury from another forum yesterday:

Quote Pity the injury's not the 6N. It might have forced gatland to play one of the 3 far more talented 10s in the country instead of sticking with the old limited easy option.

Quote Bugger, hoped he would be out for Six Nations

And the gloryboys these quoted knumbnuts want, shows the lack of respect they possess.Angry

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"        Roger going life is good.
Canada View Drop Down
Billy Bullshit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 11:34am
I see that Jon Thiel good Canadian guy has been training with the Scarlets.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 11:35am
if stevo is not available for the 6N then it has to be 10 hook 12 henson 13 roberts. priestland as back up 10

Edited by rap columbo - 16 December 2010 at 11:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic