Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AOB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AOB
    Posted: 28 December 2019 at 9:48am
Are we seeing the emergence of a genuine attacking Welsh 10? After a horror 1st season with injury is the real Gus emerging? Well it really is too early to judge due to the number of games - 2 & more importantly the standard of the opposition but two MOM performances is still noteworthy.

His attacking kicking is a joy to behold and his kick for Steff's 2nd try Thursday while off balance & with his left foot was pure class. His eye for and acceleration through a gap reminds me of Jonathan Davies (Jiffy) in his pomp. 

Another solid attacking performance against the Blues will have him starting against Toulon at home & then we may find out about how far this lad has come. There are many exciting young talents starting to make life uncomfortable for their illustrious team mates and long may it continue. 
Sponsored Links

EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 9:58am
He reminds me of Joey Carberry. Small frame - all skills 

I was amazed to be honest at his crossfield kick whilst getting tackled. 

I was/am a critic of his defending but he made a few decent tackles. 
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 10:00am
Certainly proving his worth. 
And even though you say the standard of the opposition not the best - though I am not sure at all on Bayonnes first team as they chop and change that team so often Im not sure they know what their best 15 is!
But Angus has delivered a performance in each of those, pulled the strings superbly - always easier when the pack gets some go forward ball - but he made the right decisions at the right times. you can only play whats in front of you, and he has most certainly done that. Even his kick for Macleods try - not kicked at goal through the game, but in those conditions, from the touch line, through the middle. beautiful kick. 

He has needed some luck and this season he has had that luck of being injury free and more importantly been involved with the team more or less week in week out. 
He is certainly more of a Patchell style 10 than a Dan Jones, so in Patchs absence its great that we still have the running 10 option for selection who is playing with form and confidence. 

lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 10:00am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Are we seeing the emergence of a genuine attacking Welsh 10? After a horror 1st season with injury is the real Gus emerging? Well it really is too early to judge due to the number of games - 2 & more importantly the standard of the opposition but two MOM performances is still noteworthy.

His attacking kicking is a joy to behold and his kick for Steff's 2nd try Thursday while off balance & with his left foot was pure class. His eye for and acceleration through a gap reminds me of Jonathan Davies (Jiffy) in his pomp. 

Another solid attacking performance against the Blues will have him starting against Toulon at home & then we may find out about how far this lad has come. There are many exciting young talents starting to make life uncomfortable for their illustrious team mates and long may it continue. 

Good post...tbh it was a joy to see him play with confidence and a smile on his face, he is gifted and hopefully he can continue to command the 10 shirt. Superb display.
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 10:07am
Fair play to the lad. His nightmare game was his 1st after a long lay off. Hes had time to find his feet, and by heck has he done it in style. Long may his form continueđź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Ź
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 10:19am
we seem to be producing plenty of flankers,scrum halfs and hookers but where are the next generation of silky outside halfs coming through?is there any good youngsters in the academy that we can keep an eye out for?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 10:22am
Nige there was a 10 who got some good reviews earlier this season I believe. I took note because he was very local to me - Llanybydder. I can't remember his name. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 10:28am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

we seem to be producing plenty of flankers,scrum halfs and hookers but where are the next generation of silky outside halfs coming through?is there any good youngsters in the academy that we can keep an eye out for?
Not really there’s a big black hole at 10 so we need to recruit
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 11:07am
Fantasttic to see.My late father would have been overjoyed to see a 10 play like this for the Scarlets.Long may it continue!
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 11:09am
While he’s obviously been superb in his two starts up to now I will reserve full judgment until I’ve seen him play behind a retreating pack, something that tends to separate the OK outside halves from the ones that are truly class.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 11:34am
He needs game time at this level to improve. What he doesn't seem to need is time on the ball which is a really good sign for those occasions when the opponents get to him.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 11:34am
He was awful in the warmup! Dropping passes all the time - I was genuinely worried.

Luckily I was wrong - as usual!!
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 1:52pm
Not really tested defensively in either game he’s started so that’s an open point.

With the ball he took it to the gain line well, and manufactured 2 great tries from cross field kicks when under pressure, slipped a couple of nice pop passes too.

Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 3:43pm
Im waiting to see him against Cardiff, the third will be the match of the truth. I would like to see him under pressure and how he reacts..
He is a flyhalf difficoultly to describe, not elegant to see, but dangerous with ball in hands, also a secure kicks set in his hands...
I hope he can be the crack of the season, if we want to have a large rugby team, it s excellent have 3 fly halves with different play stile for adapt to every situation
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 10:03pm
I haven't read a comment on this thread so far so I don't get influenced at all.

What do I know to date? Last season a disaster and injured. Started this year shaky and rusty as expected and slated on here. 2 excellent games and now the new next best thing. The truth? Probably somewhere in between. Control the game and a win in Cardiff will be a huge plus in his account and he will definitely be on the up. He certainly gets the backs moving so much better than Dan Jones but can he boss things when the going gets tough?
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

I haven't read a comment on this thread so far so I don't get influenced at all.

What do I know to date? Last season a disaster and injured. Started this year shaky and rusty as expected and slated on here. 2 excellent games and now the new next best thing. The truth? Probably somewhere in between. Control the game and a win in Cardiff will be a huge plus in his account and he will definitely be on the up. He certainly gets the backs moving so much better than Dan Jones but can he boss things when the going gets tough?

Thought he played well in both games. He's quick off the mark, and can therefore get through any gap that appears in front of him.

He threw some lovely long passes, however the ball was in the air for some time. A better defence could take advantage of those. Throw one of those in front of Josh Adams and it could be a try every time. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic