Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Appalling standard of BBC Journalism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Appalling standard of BBC Journalism
    Posted: 14 January 2018 at 11:49am
Here's a couple of paragraphs from the current BBC Online piece about "Expect the Unexpected"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42675134

"Star-studded Toulon, who are sixth in the French Top 14 with seven wins from 15 starts, will be up against a team that has won six of their 13 Pro14 games this term.

Toulon can overhaul second-placed Bath in the group against the winless Italians.

Having won four of their five European games so far - the only defeat coming in Toulon - Owens says "of course" he and his team-mates are motivated to become the first Welsh team to reach the quarter-finals since Cardiff Blues in 2011-12."

Who edits this stuff and checks the info?

Sponsored Links

sospanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sospanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 11:59am
Yes, I saw that as well. I think the reference in the first sentence is to Benetton whom they play today.
Poor writing though.
Ymlaen Llanelli Scarlets
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 1:29pm
Andy Howell, in yesterday's Mule, seemed to think that the Scarlets Select side was coached by  Euro Evans -probably a Freudian slip.
The previous week they printed that Davies scored 2 tries as did Williams  - well it's only a small matter of the scorers being 2 different Davies and 2 different Williams - a mistake anyone who knew nothing about the Scarlets and rugby could make - especially when they've got a lot of boring tries to record.  
But if you think that the coverage of rugby by these two "institutions" is bad you should be grateful that it's not at the level of their coverage of overseas politics which only reflect the appalling bias of their bosses.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 1:39pm
The BT promotion of next weekend’s coverage, before the coverage of Toulon v Treviso, included, “and in the evening, from France, Benetton v Bath”.🙈
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

The BT promotion of next weekend’s coverage, before the coverage of Toulon v Treviso, included, “and in the evening, from France, Benetton v Bath”.🙈

yup...wondered whereabouts in SE France, Treviso was ;-)
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by sgsmorgan sgsmorgan wrote:

yup...wondered whereabouts in SE France, Treviso was ;-)

No wonder people voted for Brexit...Wink
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 3:18pm
BBC is a joke
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 4:32pm
BBC Wales can't even stand Welsh working class accents. That's the only conclusion I can take from the presenters of their documentary "The Miners Who Made Us" Will Millard is a middle class Englishman, brought up in the Fens. He's probably a very nice bloke but surely they can find someone who has more  connection with subject matter and who has no difficulty with the pronunciation of our place names. The programme even had a stand-up comic of middle-eastern origin and brought up in Cardiff, whose task was to do a turn in front of a typical Miner's Welfare Hall Audience. Again a nice pleasant bloke but were they really that desperate to fill the time or did they just want to be seen as multiracial and inclusive and bygger the relevance?  There are plenty of passionate Welshmen with a deep interest and understanding of the subject matter. Were they ruled out because of their accents or weren't they photogenic enough.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

BBC Wales can't even stand Welsh working class accents. That's the only conclusion I can take from the presenters of their documentary "The Miners Who Made Us" Will Millard is a middle class Englishman, brought up in the Fens. He's probably a very nice bloke but surely they can find someone who has more  connection with subject matter and who has no difficulty with the pronunciation of our place names. The programme even had a stand-up comic of middle-eastern origin and brought up in Cardiff, whose task was to do a turn in front of a typical Miner's Welfare Hall Audience. Again a nice pleasant bloke but were they really that desperate to fill the time or did they just want to be seen as multiracial and inclusive and bygger the relevance?  There are plenty of passionate Welshmen with a deep interest and understanding of the subject matter. Were they ruled out because of their accents or weren't they photogenic enough.

I try not to talk about the BBC anymore they are so appalling and their output an absolute embarassment
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 5:20pm
The BBC is far from perfect, but I'm a bit uneasy about all this criticism dealing with rather trivial matters in the great scheme of things.

We have had a relentless campaign against the BBC from the right-wing press (Murdoch's Sun and Times, the Telegraph and - most comically - the Hitler-supproting Daily Mail).

I do feel you guys would do well to ask yourselves whether you are doing the work of the right-wing ranters for them? Have you been brainwashed, without even noticing?

(My pet BBC gripe concerns the right-wing bias of commentators such as Kuenssberg, Andrew Marr, Andrew Neil etc. It seems to me that the corporation has been cowed and castrated by the ranters, so that little attention is given to left-ish views. Marr regularly invites people onto his sofa along these lines: a right-wing ranter (sometimes from UKIP); a middle of the road Tory; and a Blairite anti-Corbyn Labour person. Balance? I think not!)
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
CTMassive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTMassive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 5:27pm
I think everone's gripe with the BBC is their leftist liberal policies and take on everything on all media, not least of all radio, website as well as TV platfrom. Sky are the ones usually accused of right wing bias. Not having a pop Aber, just an observation
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 5:40pm
I thought Marr was very pro Labour.

At times, it’s a battle as to who runs the country - Parliament or the media?
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 5:42pm

I thought Marr was very pro Labour.

At times, it’s a battle as to who runs the country - Parliament or the media?

The recent US Election should tell you the answer to that
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

The BBC is far from perfect, but I'm a bit uneasy about all this criticism dealing with rather trivial matters in the great scheme of things.

We have had a relentless campaign against the BBC from the right-wing press (Murdoch's Sun and Times, the Telegraph and - most comically - the Hitler-supproting Daily Mail).

I do feel you guys would do well to ask yourselves whether you are doing the work of the right-wing ranters for them? Have you been brainwashed, without even noticing?

(My pet BBC gripe concerns the right-wing bias of commentators such as Kuenssberg, Andrew Marr, Andrew Neil etc. It seems to me that the corporation has been cowed and castrated by the ranters, so that little attention is given to left-ish views. Marr regularly invites people onto his sofa along these lines: a right-wing ranter (sometimes from UKIP); a middle of the road Tory; and a Blairite anti-Corbyn Labour person. Balance? I think not!)

I'm with you comrade.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by CTMassive CTMassive wrote:

I think everone's gripe with the BBC is their leftist liberal policies and take on everything on all media, not least of all radio, website as well as TV platfrom. Sky are the ones usually accused of right wing bias. Not having a pop Aber, just an observation

I agree with this, though I do also think neil and kunssberg, she is very tabloid as is newsnight and others are shall we say more inclined to peddle the corporate line but neil is far cleverer he appears to play both sides. ps did anyone notice that due to bbcs insane liberal political correctness all men were banned from asking the main questions at llanelli's question time, dimbleby didnt tell us until the very last minute off camera
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 6:43pm
Political hot potato hits SF. I think the BBC gives the impression it leans towards liberal thinking despite the fact most of its commentators lean middle right - particularly when it comes to doing the right thing and heavy handed political correctness. Do not underestimate the BBC machine and its careful planning. Generally I prefer BBC programming but am aware of the underlying currents.

When it comes to sports journalism there's no excuse for getting it wrong - a lot of us could do better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic