Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are some fans really that naive?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Tiercel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are some fans really that naive?
    Posted: 01 December 2017 at 10:46pm
I am mostly a lurker and do not post much, mostly because I do not have the knowledge that most of the posters on here have.

One think that has surprised me though the last couple of days is the vitriol towards some of the players that are leaving by some of the posters on here. On the whole most do not like it but understand that the players are workers for our entertainment, it's a job!

It does seem to me as if these vitriolic fans are living in the past where players played for their local team and no other. With the advent of professionalism in rugby it became a market place, where commodities (players) are bought and sold depending on the needs of your team at that moment in time.

I honestly cannot think of another trade where people are vitrified by some for trying to better themselves. I enjoy this forum and have learnt a lot about rugby through the posts on here. I have to say though some of the posts I have read this week have left me feeling sad that some people are that small that they can actually publicly state that they wish someone ill for doing their job.
Sponsored Links

Rich (Bris) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2017 at 10:56pm
I think it's only 2 or 3 to be fair but I don't like to read it either
RedZep View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedZep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2017 at 11:05pm
Croeso nol, Tiercel. If the quality of your posts are this consistent please don't lurk too much longer. 
'' Know your three R's, son..... Rugby, Rock and Ridin'!! ''
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2017 at 11:51pm
Glad it got you into posting.

It's a bit like Trump. My wife is now into politics because of him.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2017 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Tiercel Tiercel wrote:

I am mostly a lurker and do not post much, mostly because I do not have the knowledge that most of the posters on here have.

One think that has surprised me though the last couple of days is the vitriol towards some of the players that are leaving by some of the posters on here. On the whole most do not like it but understand that the players are workers for our entertainment, it's a job!

It does seem to me as if these vitriolic fans are living in the past where players played for their local team and no other. With the advent of professionalism in rugby it became a market place, where commodities (players) are bought and sold depending on the needs of your team at that moment in time.

I honestly cannot think of another trade where people are vitrified by some for trying to better themselves. I enjoy this forum and have learnt a lot about rugby through the posts on here. I have to say though some of the posts I have read this week have left me feeling sad that some people are that small that they can actually publicly state that they wish someone ill for doing their job.

Great speech but the words going to better yourself does not apply to anyone going to Ospreys.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 2:13am
I take anything what anyone says on here with a pinch of salt. Just like everyone should. 

People vent on here and others try to white knight and it ends up as a di*k swinging competition between everyone. 

I am gutted that Scott will be leaving us for the ospreys, Im not going to talk crap about him on here because there is no point. 

The people who are slandering Scott for moving over the bridge are completely right to do so.

The people who are wishing him well and have no bad words are completely right to do so. 

This is a public forum where there is no right or wrong but it makes me sick to bones to think a previous captain would go to our biggest rivals for £££ (confirmed by close friends/family).

BS to anyone saying in (insert trade here) you would take a job that paid you circa 30% more... because that is irrelevant. It is not the current situation and never will be.

feel free to initiate conversation with me

Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 2:26am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Glad it got you into posting.

It's a bit like Trump. My wife is now into politics because of him.
''

as is mine...Thumbs Up
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

I take anything what anyone says on here with a pinch of salt. Just like everyone should. 

People vent on here and others try to white knight and it ends up as a di*k swinging competition between everyone. 

I am gutted that Scott will be leaving us for the ospreys, Im not going to talk crap about him on here because there is no point. 

The people who are slandering Scott for moving over the bridge are completely right to do so.

The people who are wishing him well and have no bad words are completely right to do so. 

This is a public forum where there is no right or wrong but it makes me sick to bones to think a previous captain would go to our biggest rivals for £££ (confirmed by close friends/family).

BS to anyone saying in (insert trade here) you would take a job that paid you circa 30% more... because that is irrelevant. It is not the current situation and never will be.

feel free to initiate conversation with me

I am interested Owen - whose family/friends - yours or Scott's?
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Tiercel Tiercel wrote:

I honestly cannot think of another trade where people are vitrified by some for trying to better themselves.

When you say trade do you mean rugby or any team sport where there is a transfer of players?

Luis Figo, Barcelona to Real Madrid. Johan Cruyff, Ajax to Feyenoord. Sol Campbell, Tottenham to Arsenal. Mo Johnson, Celtic to Rangers. Dennis Law, Man Utd to Man City. The list is endless.

No matter what success those players brought to their respective clubs or the reasons for their moves, do you think any supporters of the transferring clubs said when they heard the news of said transfer "Ay it`s for money, he`s thinking of his future. He`s trying to better himself. He never let us down, we wish him all the best"? 

Let`s be honest, it`s the logical view to take but real life just doesn`t work like that. Fans don`t think logically, they think with passion where tribalism and long term allegiance plays an enormous part. No offence to yourself but I do feel that it is naive not to expect some vitriol when a player of Scott`s standing at the club joins your nearest and bitterest rivals.

Edited by s.pimpernel - 02 December 2017 at 10:11am
In Pivac we trust
mr geraint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr geraint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 10:11am
I think it is fair to say that I know people in a range of trades who have a local rival they would never consider working for. But that seems to be a personal decision.
Plus, they expect their career to last into their 60s at least, not mid-30s if you’re lucky.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 10:13am
Its a debate forum. We are on a poor path if we over sensor peoples opinions.

Any player leaving us for our local rivals is always going to cause differing opinions. 

Are fans that naive to think views on a debate forum will be sterile enough to fit in some fairytale eutopia of total agreement?

This board is getting very social justicy. 

Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 10:15am
I wonder what my boss would say if i told him i was going to leaving him to work for his rival across the rd.

get real folks.LOL
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 10:33am
Actually in a lot of cases if you announce to your boss that you are going to their nearest rivals and a threat...Security men accompany you to your desk, supervise whilst you empty your drawers and only allow you to take things away after personal investigation...you are then marched to the door, your security pass is taken off you and you are put on "gardening leave" and told not to talk to anyone.

Ask anyone in the Media, Financial Services Sector or any other business where Trade Secrets or Strategies/Techniques are vital to an edge over your opponents. In this last sector I imagine the Coaching Team are going "Great...at the end of this Season we're going to have to change everything"

But anyway...it is what it is....I do wish Scott and his family all the best.....

Edited by sgsmorgan - 02 December 2017 at 11:40am
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

I wonder what my boss would say if i told him i was going to leaving him to work for his rival across the rd.

get real folks.LOL

He'd say "Speedy, can't afford to lose you mun. Here's a raise and a free pen."
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 10:39am
The truth will out, perhaps only after Scott has gone. When that happens I look forward to feeding some humble pie to a few on here.
#George
Scarlet O'Hara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet O'Hara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 11:16am
I too am very sad to see Scott go and it had occured to me that it may be down to something behind the scenes, shall we say. I see Scott as a lad with great integrity so I can't see him as one to speak out, especially against a club he clearly loves. 
No one seems to have considered just how hard it might be for him to leave. Yes it's hard for us to see him go to the Ospreys, but he'll have to put on the shirt.     
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic