Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barclay wants a few more games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Yeah, I really think we are stacked at back row now. Shingler, Cubby, Cassiem, Macleod, that new number 8, Thomson, Davis, Kennedy, Morgan, Phillips and Rawlins can cover there also.

Unless the season is rearranged for internationals, I think we’ll see little of Shingler, Cubby and Thomson with Wales and Scotland. That’s if Cubby and Thomson ever return from their injuries.

Kennedy, Davis and Phillips have been a long time injured and personally don’t think they’re on the same level as Barclay, even in his latter years.

Casseim and Macleod have put in a lot of minutes and will be relied on heavily again no doubt.

We signed a similar No. 8 to our new signing a few seasons ago from London Welsh, I can’t remember his name but has similar credentials, sometimes it is better to look backwards as you know what you’re getting with Barclay! Positive influence in the dressing room and on the pitch. 

There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever between Kalamafoni and Haluafia. Look at his stats and how consistent he’s been for both Gloucester and Leicester 

That’s why Leicester were loathed to see him go and tried to keep him , which speaks volumes.  He comes with excellent reviews .
Sponsored Links

Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 10:05pm

Yeah, I really think we are stacked at back row now. Shingler, Cubby, Cassiem, Macleod, that new number 8, Thomson, Davis, Kennedy, Morgan, Phillips and Rawlins can cover there also.

Unless the season is rearranged for internationals, I think we’ll see little of Shingler, Cubby and Thomson with Wales and Scotland. That’s if Cubby and Thomson ever return from their injuries.

Kennedy, Davis and Phillips have been a long time injured and personally don’t think they’re on the same level as Barclay, even in his latter years.

Casseim and Macleod have put in a lot of minutes and will be relied on heavily again no doubt.

We signed a similar No. 8 to our new signing a few seasons ago from London Welsh, I can’t remember his name but has similar credentials, sometimes it is better to look backwards as you know what you’re getting with Barclay! Positive influence in the dressing room and on the pitch. 

There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever between Kalamafoni and Haluafia. Look at his stats and how consistent he’s been for both Gloucester and Leicester 
Agree re.the stats and consistency,but it's just as obvious that he's getting older,getting injured and getting sent off.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 10:14pm

Untrue. They are both 36 points in scrabble.
Scarlets before Wales
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 10:43pm
Let’s hope he carries on his form from his previous club to the Scarlets, for some reason or another players don’t always carry their form from club to club, I’m sure we could all name a few. 
Maple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 7:26am
Who's the new No 8?
Give Blood, Play Rugby
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 9:48am
Kalamafoni from Leicester 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 10:15am

Other than the fact they were of a similar age, similar build , came from the same league and played the same position no none at all :)

I get your point Kalamafoni has a better cv and looks to be a better player, the age thing and the concussion is a worry but he has had plenty of time to rest

if he hits good form he is exactly what we need
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 10:37am
Kalamafoni is a heavy duty close carrier which we do not currently have. For all his many talents which came to the fore last season Uzair is still pretty light. I said at the time that if Scott Quinnell had been playing against Edinburgh at home we would have been pushing for a bonus point victory. Kalamafoni has been signed to rectify those types of losses. 

As for talk of Barclay returning as a player - I don't think so. Much as I admire his many qualities it is from a coaching/motivational viewpoint that I would be interested in him. I take Scarletnut's point about experience but would still consider him if, of course, that is where he sees his future. 
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 12:51pm
I feel our squad looks pretty strong now especially in the back row if Kalamafoni is signedand where I feel that we now have possibly an over-abundance that will mean very little on-field time for several players.
The only positions where we might struggle if injuries strike are 9, 3 and centre, particularly if the injuries coincide with international call-ups.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I feel our squad looks pretty strong now especially in the back row if Kalamafoni is signedand where I feel that we now have possibly an over-abundance that will mean very little on-field time for several players.
The only positions where we might struggle if injuries strike are 9, 3 and centre, particularly if the injuries coincide with international call-ups.

Spot on Ffidel. Much will depend on Werner's continuing durability and hopefully Samson can get back to his old self and stay healthy. I think, under the current financial constraints that squads are going to get leaner & short term loan deals will be the vogue. I think there may be some very good professionals playing at part time levels - Cudd & Jonathan Evans may be two such players. 
Superscarlet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 5:39pm
Should have kept Evans in my opinion. He was looking good when we actually played him this season. Really don't know why he didn't get much game time to be honest. Obviously didn't fit in with Brad's plans?
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2020 at 11:57pm
Can’t see Barclay coming back but would love to see him as a coach. Immense influence. Hasn’t he bought a huge house to do up? Maybe if he’s had enough of DIY he’ll return BUT I don’t think so. 

Edited by Huwbach - 10 June 2020 at 11:57pm
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2020 at 2:21am
Exactly the kind of guy I want to see at the Parc, but that ship has sailed.
Scarlets before Wales
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic