Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beirne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beirne
    Posted: 17 September 2017 at 5:02pm
Rumour is he has signed with Munster for next season which will allow him to be picked for Ireland this season?

Not a great surprise. but one more gap to cover in the Interantional window.
Sponsored Links

greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2017 at 5:18pm
Can't blame him really. Best Scarlet 2nd row at the moment, probably our best forward overall.
Keep the faith
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2017 at 5:59pm
Devastating  if Tadgh leaves been fantastic for us and will only get better no Irish regions wanted him,Simon Easterby won all his Irish caps and Lions call up from the Scarlets
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2017 at 6:26pm
The guys been a revelation in many ways...look back at the posts around the time we signed him...I'm being polite here, so let's just say the concensus was one of surprise and curiosity.

Not much more than a few semi pro and B&I games in the first few months but he really came to the fore around the 6 nations. By the end of the season he'd beaten off Bulbring, Rawlins and Price for the 5 shirt and was a key player.

To give the club credit we have picked up some prodigious talent that's gone underneath the radar in the last 3 years ( and yes one or two that haven't worked out).

In Beirne's case he's almost been too good, and in high profile games out in Ireland too.

He would have been my number 1 priority to try to tie down on a long term deal, we held the option of the 2nd year on his deal, so the opportunity was there, but maybe whatever we'd have put on the table may have been rejected should the likes of Munster come in for him, with the added lure of an Ireland cap dangling too.

I'd be surprised ( but delighted) if he was here after this season.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2017 at 7:15pm
If its true, it will be a big loss for us but I can understand the reasons of the guy...He has to play all this season, an other satisfaction with Scarlets shirt and then can back to Ireland..Hoping player like Price or Bulbring or Helps can grow up
judith View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2017 at 9:13pm
It would be really nice if he could stay with us and play for Ireland (like Simon did) as he has become such an integral part of our squad now and a massively lovely surprise revelation as a player. I'm sure we'd be fully accomodating to Ireland for his release (much like we are with John Barclay and Scotland) and I really hope that the powers that be at the Scarlets have made this clear to both Beirne and the IRFU.

However,  I fully understand why he'd choose to go to an Irish province if they've made it clear to him that he absolutely won't get picked for Ireland if he stays with us (although they still picked Sexton when he was in France, so I don't know how the IRFU rules work?) Like everyone else, I'd be really, really, REALLY sorry to see him go at the end of the season, if he does.

Stay with us Tadhg! We love you LOL

Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 12:48pm
Gutted! The guy is a class player and gives 100% every game, can't ask for any more. Extremely nice guy as well.
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 4:58pm
Tommy Bowe and Robin Copeland improved a lot when with the Ospreys and Blues respectively, so not imposible for him to stay and get called up for Ireland by any means.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 6:44pm
I hope this isn't true, but it would be no surprise. He was the Scarlets' best player v Ulster.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

Tommy Bowe and Robin Copeland improved a lot when with the Ospreys and Blues respectively, so not imposible for him to stay and get called up for Ireland by any means.
It virtually is with Joe Schmidt as coach
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I hope this isn't true, but it would be no surprise. He was the Scarlets' best player v Ulster.

By some distance..
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 2:31am
anyone got more than a rumour on this , would really like him to stay hes been massive for us good to have one athletic lock and a bruiser, 

hopefully he can see how robin copelands stock has dropped since his move to munster im sure we could work out a deal with the irfu to release him when required

or in a dream world he would qualify for wales end of next season i think thats worth considering for him 

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

anyone got more than a rumour on this , would really like him to stay hes been massive for us good to have one athletic lock and a bruiser, 

hopefully he can see how robin copelands stock has dropped since his move to munster im sure we could work out a deal with the irfu to release him when required

or in a dream world he would qualify for wales end of next season i think thats worth considering for him 

He's tied to Ireland
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 8:16am
It seems, since Sexton's return from Racing, that Joe Schmidt has hardened his stance on selecting players outside Ireland. I don't think they have anything official such as Gatland's law but I don't remember anyone being selected after Sexton. Please correct me if I am wrong. 
judith View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 7:19pm
Doesn't look good from this:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/tadhg-beirne-set-for-munster-move-to-push-for-irish-call-up-1.3226823

Exiled Irish lock Tadhg Beirne looks all set to join Munster at the end of the season having turned down a new two year contract with last year’s Pro12 champions the Scarlets.

The 25 year-old was an integral part of the Welsh region’s triumph last season, scoring a try in the runaway final victory over Munster in Dublin, and Scarlets head coach Wayne Pivac is desperate to keep him in Wales.

But the former Ireland Under-20 star has been identified by Munster and the IRFU as the long term successor to Donnacha Ryan, who left the Irish province for Racing 92 at the end of last season.

“Tadhg had a standout game for us at the breakdown in Ulster last weekend, but he is one of about 20 players who are coming out of contract at the end of this season,” admitted Pivac.

Irish coach Joe Schmidt is known to be a keen admirer of Beirne, but is unlikely to pick him this season while he is still playing outside of the four provincial teams.

Edited by minded - 19 September 2017 at 7:24pm
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 8:01pm
didnt realise he was tied to ireland , what is their team that ties them is it the u20s or the wolfhounds
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic