Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Benetton Match Thread ....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gellert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 3:22pm
Who's Dan Evans? Don't you mean Jones?
Too old to die young...
Sponsored Links

Llannman74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llannman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Too many people have been carried away with our position in the table. We have completed the easy part of the season and done as well as could have been expected. Our 1st fifteen is capable of giving anyone a game, our second fifteen is obviously not. I don't know what the second squad costs in wages but I would imagine it is similar to Benneton's and well blow the Irish and Scots. Our second string needs some hard nosed experience and dog to mentor the young guns.
Just because we won the Pro 12 last year doesn't mean a got a right to win the Pro 14 this year.
Llannman74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llannman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 4:11pm
Spot on
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 4:16pm
I think we were right to expect more against an Italian side missing 14 internationals, a centre playing his first game at 6 and with 3 players from junior clubs drafted in to help out.  The 'we're in the same boat' excuse just doesn't cut it.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

I think we were right to expect more against an Italian side missing 14 internationals, a centre playing his first game at 6 and with 3 players from junior clubs drafted in to help out.  The 'we're in the same boat' excuse just doesn't cut it.

Precisely - we were badly prepared with totally the wrong attitude from the offset. If we cannot be professional for every game we play then our new found success won't be with us long. Both Leinster & Ulster will be infinitely stronger than Benetton. 
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 5:37pm
And dare I say too strong for our second string.
Keep the faith
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 5:45pm
We looked like a team that had been on holiday for 2 weeks. Im sure everyone had a week off when the anglo welsh was on? We also looked like we had been on the peronis on sat night watching the wales game.
Dan jones missed a few penalty kicks to touch, kicked poorly, couldnt find any space behind treviso, was very poor in defence. Im not singling him out i could make a negative comment about every player 1-15, i think as an outside half mistakes seem to be magnified.
Key word in all of this is intensity. We didnt have any in attack or defence.
Most dissapointing thing was we left with no bps. Over the last 2 seasons that has only happend twice? We didn't deserve one but we should have fought harder to get one.
With a big crowd against a top team at the rds, the players will know they have to be on top of their game or it will be a hammerring like it was last year. Im backing the boys and the coaching team to bounce back.

Edited by Matthew Cardey - 12 February 2018 at 5:46pm
townboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Matthew Cardey Matthew Cardey wrote:

We looked like a team that had been on holiday for 2 weeks. Im sure everyone had a week off when the anglo welsh was on? We also looked like we had been on the peronis on sat night watching the wales game.
Dan jones missed a few penalty kicks to touch, kicked poorly, couldnt find any space behind treviso, was very poor in defence. Im not singling him out i could make a negative comment about every player 1-15, i think as an outside half mistakes seem to be magnified.
Key word in all of this is intensity. We didnt have any in attack or defence.
Most dissapointing thing was we left with no bps. Over the last 2 seasons that has only happend twice? We didn't deserve one but we should have fought harder to get one.
With a big crowd against a top team at the rds, the players will know they have to be on top of their game or it will be a hammerring like it was last year. Im backing the boys and the coaching team to bounce back.
Just watched the game back Matt as i was out in Treviso yesterday,you are right on a couple of points about Dan,he missed touch once off a penalty going for a big touch finder..Kicked 2 good kicks  from penalties first half to put us deep in their half,nothing came from them after..we kick long not to find touch from deep as we have all year..Stats say he made 9 tackles 3 missed,agree one big one for their try,more tacles made than any other back..Like you said at 10 it seems to be more magnified...Spoke to his Dad in work this afternoon,he said Dan came home late last night really disappointed in his performance and of the team as he and the team all set high standards,..also he has 4 stiches in the corner of his eye/head from the incident first half in the try line..One of my favourite players in the squad who i hope is around here for a long time..Hope for a reaction next week
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 6:59pm
A defeat where we’ve not blamed the ref........

Who else was surprised no action was taken against the Benetton winger who made severe and late needless contact with Dinky when he touched down for a 22m drop out?

Dinky’s reaction was untypical so it had clearly hurt, so as well as all the above I was astonished nothing was done.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
2ndtimeround View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 2ndtimeround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 7:20pm
The way he reacted if Wilkinson had taken it any further then he would of had no choice other than to penalise Dan for reacting also. Not a Ref I personally rate but yesterday he handled the game ok.
No excuses at all for that performance other than our players clearly weren’t prepared for such a strong challenge from a very heavily depleted Benneton side.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 10:17pm
Out of interest, I've compared the two teams that played this weekend with the two teams that met at Parc y Scarlets in the Champions Cup before Christmas. Nothing scientific in this but....... Both teams had exactly the same number of players missing this weekend from the  December game, or to put it another way, both teams had 11 survivors from the Champions Cup game.

Anyone who remembers the December game will remember that we played terribly in that game and were being well beaten by a 14 man Benetton right up until the last 5 minutes where 2 moments of magic pulled us out of the manure and we went on to win the game.  

In December, with 75 minutes on the clock, people around me were saying this was the worst Scarlets performance ever and they questioned whether or not they would come again.  Five minutes and 2 tries later I was surrounded by a frenzy of 'are we human' and  'Yma o Hyd' LOL

It's just the Scarlets roller coaster in full swing.  We need the downs. The ups feel so much better after a down. Enjoy the ride folks Smile
That's the Scarlets, its in their DNA.
TurkQuay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurkQuay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Captain Captain wrote:

While it was a disappointing result, we were missing a hell of a lot more then them. They were able to call on a lot of international players in their team (12 what they said on TV if my memory is correct) We had 2. Prydie and Ryan E.

I do think will be the Kick up the Arse that the fringe players needed, and lets not forget, Benetton are a much better side than we give them credit for. They should have beaten us at home in the cup.

I read that Cubby was devastated and almost in tears, saying sorry to fans on weekend, and he was only back a few days. 

Lets just say, they will have a rocket this week and I expect a few more will be returned this week from Wales camp for game time.

In the coaching team we trust.

A hell of a lot more ?.  How many did we have missing ?. 15 ?.

Benetton had only 1 released from the Italian squad, had 14 playing against Ireland, and a total of 21 players unavailable.

Edited by TurkQuay - 12 February 2018 at 10:31pm
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 4:11pm
Well 3 Tnewsdays have taken some of the attention away from it.
Dan the Drover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the Drover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

It's just the Scarlets roller coaster in full swing.  We need the downs. The ups feel so much better after a down. Enjoy the ride folks Smile

Yeah - they have always been a flaky lot - winning streaks only result in them, and us, getting way too arrogant.  Smile
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Well 3 Tnewsdays have taken some of the attention away from it.
I'd say taken ALL the attention.  There's no mention at all of the game on the website.  It's as if it didn't happen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic