Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best players with and against.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best players with and against.
    Posted: 09 February 2020 at 12:03pm
As I can't get out in the forest due to the weather I got to thinking. Who was the best player I played with and against. With has to be Alan Lewis back in my time with Amman Valley Grammar first XV. Alan was a magnificent centre who would have had senior caps but for a nasty ankle injury playing for Llanelli against Swansea I think. He had it all. Against was definitely Bernard Thomas in a trial game at Stradey. I was a promising 15 ( I thought) and on a typical Llanelli night Bernard's tactical kicking kept me very busy shall we say. 

Wrong sport but I also remember playing centre forward in a junior game against Garden Village in Gorseinon. We lost 7-0 and a young winger scored 5 - his name Leighton James - say no more. Great memories. 
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 1:11pm
Well now - an interesting idea for a thread, which others no doubt can fill with some top class opponents. Unfortunately, my less than glittering career won't permit me to add any outstanding anecdotes, though maybe I can raise a laugh by referring to the 'best players I MAY have played against'...

TBH - there are two players whose school teams I faced when they were playing, but as they weren't especially well known at the time, and as I was in the forwards and they were backs, I can't even be certain they played on the day(s)! They were:

Jim Shankiln (Tom's dad) who won four caps for Wales played (I think) in a game for Tenby/Greenhill school (I think it was called Tenby, back then) on an absolute mud-bath. The game ended in a 3-3 draw - a bit of a miracle that either team managed a score!

Then in the same season, we (Ardwyn GS, Aberystwyth) played against a team whose star player was Wayne Lewis - later to play first class rugby (and maybe a Welsh trial?)... I sort of think he played for Llandeilo, unless it was Gwendraeth... oddly, the games against both teams ended in low-scoring draws, just like the one v Tenby.

So - no hugely famous names there! I can claim to have seen other top stars at the dawn of their careers playing in the Llanelli schoolboy 7s tournaments, though: Phil Bennett (Coleshill), Terry Price (Llanelli Grammar), Barry Llewellyn and (I think) his brother Brian and (again, I think) Gareth Edwards. Some players seem destined for the top from an early age, though - especially in these professional days - hard work counts for an awful lot too.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 1:33pm
Best against in age group sq by a mile he was a monster at that age. Jonathan evans ponty hooker was a beast as well and chris loader was. Dai weatherley and robbie jones were top youth players and colin stephens was electric at cricket and rugby.I played against scott gibbs to he was fly half  Can’t recall him being all that. Sq was the best and most dominant physical player at his age i have ever seen in wales. In senior rugby i played against the nz navy once they had two centres of lomuesque proportions 😳😳

Edited by RR1972 - 09 February 2020 at 6:25pm
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 3:05pm
SQ was a beast at schools rugby, it was unfair to have to play against him.  It would take 2 or 3 players to tackle him every time he had the ball.
I also played against a certain Dai Fox when I played against a Bonymaen veterans team in the early 2000s, he was still very quick and mobile.
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 6:36pm
Gavin Quinnell was a juggernaut at youth rugby. We were cruising to an away win over Furnace once, safe in the knowledge he wasn't playing, only for him to turn up with 20 to go, get his kit on and win them the game on his own. It's such a shame he had that eye injury as I think he was on the verge of delivering on his huge potential.

Darren Daniel ran rings around me the one time he played against us at youth level. I was marking him at outside centre, and we only had 14 players (no openside winger). He took full advantage of the acres of room out wide. He had tremendous acceleration when he was young.     
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic