Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brad Mooar - New head coach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Excellent appointment. Lets give him the time he needs to bed in and shape the squad in to his own. Setting the bar low for next season. Qualify for Europe anything else is a bonus.
Come off it it needs to be higher than that. The agreed target with the WRU is to win the Champions Cup over the next few seasons which is one of the reasons the Scarlets have received a lot more funding. That target needs to be met.

I agree Scarletnut - Wayne has done the first phase of the job. Brad's targets will be a lot higher than Wayne's were for the first couple of seasons. 

Maybe your right, but this is a coach with no experience of coaching in the European Cup, no experience in the Pro14 and no experience in the northern hemisphere. He is also not an experienced head coach.

He will also have a different, may be on slightly, game plan to Pivac with different roles for the players. It will take a season at least for him to shape the squad the way he wants it.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be hopeful, I'm just saying don't expect too much too soon and allow the guy time. I presume we won't even see him until the end of the Super Rugby season so he won't even have a pre season with the boys.

He's joining us in the summer, his super rugby days are over for a few years.

Is he? Crusaders press release says end of the 2019 SR season.

Shame, I hoped he would come up straight away to work with the team now and be fully up to speed in Sept 2019.

The final is 6th July,likely Crusaders will be in it so we'll probably see him a couple of weeks after that.

So August is most likely.

SuperRugby season has been moved forward a month for this year, must be due to WC. That is great that he gets a proper pre season, albeit without the Welsh boys and Blade. I wonder how much influence he'll have on recruitmentretention between now and then?
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 4:34pm
Tidy bit of business this.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

I was told Friday night that Steve actually ruled himself out as HE felt he wasn't ready to be Number 1 anywhere, remember he's only been coaching for around 5 years.

Well, that could be - I don't have any inside info on it.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
gorau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 5:48pm
Great job getting Brad Mooar over here. Well done to all involved.

I really hope we've been talking to Ben Ryan, the former Fiji 7s coach, as a potential backs coach if Stevo is definitely off.
eds
gorau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 6:04pm
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/who-new-scarlets-coach-brad-15497445

I feel very excited about this appointment.
eds
Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 6:50pm
No doubt we’ve all seen the article about Rennie vs Pivak today. Before the announcement most of the pundits were talking Rennie.    I don’t know what to think except that Pivak will probably take Jones and that’s a massive plus. Well for Wales not Scarlets
mammamammon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammamammon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 7:32pm
Looks like a good appointment of a guy who’s served his time amongst the best. Important to keep some continuity amongst the back room staff but onward and upward. I hope his ambition is to take us to the next level.
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 7:41pm
On paper it seems a good appointment.

I'll reserve my judgement though until I see what is done about our forwards both in terms of players and coaching, as it remains our Achilles heel.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

I'll reserve my judgement though until I see what is done about our forwards both in terms of players and coaching, as it remains our Achilles heel.

I am guessing recruitment will be geared towards rectifying that, with the extra funding being pumped in specifically to achieve our shared goal of being the 1st Welsh side to win the HC. Its the glaring weakness that needs money spent on it.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 9:28pm

It’s hardly Achilles Heel. We have performed brilliantly for several years . Give the club a break man. We are missing Shingler and James Davies and Samson on top of Barclay and Beirne who have left us. Yes we need to further improve the forwards but our forwards have been great for us and served us well. I am sure this is being looked at.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 2:43am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

I am guessing recruitment will be geared towards rectifying that, with the extra funding being pumped in specifically to achieve our shared goal of being the 1st Welsh side to win the HC. Its the glaring weakness that needs money spent on it.

So this funding?!

Is it all project reset or other sponsors too?

No doubt we have yet to know the amounts involved.
Scarlets before Wales
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 5:25am
Brad Mooar may need Broadmoor by the time he`s finished his tenure on the Scarlets rollercoasterWink

To even get the assistance coach of the current Super Rugby holders is something which I think The Scarlets couldn`t have achieved a few years ago so it shows how high our stock has risen in that time. Good luck Brad

In Pivac we trust
mark in sydney View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark in sydney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 5:38am
Interesting signing ...Mooar comes form arguably the best performing and consistent NZ rugby region and few clubs or regions have such consistent success over that last 23 years 

From 1996, of the 23 years of Super rugby the Saders won 9 titles (most of any team, Blues and Bulls have 3 each) and made the finals 19 times ...yes 19 of the 23 !!

I hope he brings insight as to what has made the 'Saders the best super rugby team over many years ie the culture and style of play that makes them so successful ...........after getting up at 4am to watch the performance at Glasgow it  was embarrassing by the way we were bullied by 14 men. Hope he has some players he can approach to strengthen our squad ...some good forwards that would add some go forward to the pack especially at 8 and second row 

The last Super rugby game ...the final which the Saders have a good chance of making... is 6 July 2019 as there is no June break for internationals in a RWC year 

Hope he is watching plenty of video of the games over the past few years 
I was there ...one Tuesday when the All Blacks came (and lost)
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 6:01am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

I'm hoping you're right.
We might end up signing two beasts at second row and number 8 but what I mean is that I cannot see our coaching set up being geared towards addressing that weakness.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 6:45am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

It’s hardly Achilles Heel. We have performed brilliantly for several years . Give the club a break man. We are missing Shingler and James Davies and Samson on top of Barclay and Beirne who have left us. Yes we need to further improve the forwards but our forwards have been great for us and served us well. I am sure this is being looked at.

We surprised everyone two years ago and for a few games at the end of the season noone could live with us. 

Teams started to react to our gameplay last year (when we still had Beirne, Barclay, Cubby and Shingler)
We played well , extremely well in patches but we hardly reached the heights from the previous season.

I think there is something missing in the coaching set up as well as in terms of the squad, injuries and (obviously) gone players notwithstanding.

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 8:49am

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

We surprised everyone two years ago and for a few games at the end of the season noone could live with us. 

Teams started to react to our gameplay last year (when we still had Beirne, Barclay, Cubby and Shingler)
We played well , extremely well in patches but we hardly reached the heights from the previous season.

I think there is something missing in the coaching set up as well as in terms of the squad, injuries and (obviously) gone players notwithstanding.

I do agree that we seem to have been sussed out so need more invention so this new guy will be good for us
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
  Share Topic