Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CAC / Blues / Rfc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurkQuay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CAC / Blues / Rfc
    Posted: 09 July 2019 at 12:58pm
Does anyone know the set-up / relationship between Cardiff Athletic Club, Cardiff Blues, and Cardiff RFC ?

I've tried looking on their websites and wikipedia but I'm none the wiser.

I think I'm right in saying that Cardiff Athletic Club (made up of several sports sections such as rugby, cricket, hockey and bowls) own Cardiff Arms Park ?.  Is the rugby section what is known as Cardiff RFC or is it a different entity ?

I believe CAC rent CAP to Cardiff Blues for approx £140k / year ? (which seems very cheap) and CB keep any money made on match days ?.

I believe CAC take in all other revenue (including CRFC ?) and the car park which I believe generates about £1M a year !! ?.

What's the set up of CAC, CB and RFC ?. Are there Board members / Directors of CAC on the board of CB ?, or visa-versa ?.

When Peter Thomas was putting millions into CRFC / CB was he getting shares in CAC or the ownership of CAP ?, or was he virtually just pouring his money down the drain ?.

Any info explaining the various relationships or questions above would be much appreciated.

Thank you. 

Sponsored Links

NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 6:30pm
From a well-genned Cardiff supporter, I take out the following:

• Cardiff Blues Ltd (CBL) is the professional arm of Cardiff RFC
  • CAC & CBL are in an arm-wrestle, pre-negotiating over the future licence for use of CAP by Cardiff Blues
  • there are 3 CAC board members on the CBL board, so they operate partly in unison - not quite hand-in-glove, but a couple of fingers in it
  • CBL pay CAC rent for CAP - they tend to be slow paying it every year, but I'm told the outstanding balance will be paid this week - perhaps a way for CBL to focus CAC's mind on a more sustainable permanent solution
  • the turbulent, slightly chaotic relationship is 'normal' - this is how they've got along for years and is likely to continue until a new licence is agreed
  • CBL would probably like to take over the site and develop it to make it a facility worthy of their history - but CAC don't want to sell to CBL, presumably because they want any development to benefit the constituent parts of the club, not just the rugby arm 
  • CAC are apparently proceeding with the development of CAP themselves, to realise the potential revenue from a shared heritage sports facility with hotel/conference facilities - part of the proceeds will go to CAC and the rest to CBL, so both benefit from the development
They all have the same aim, but a dysfunctional (also slow and opaque) way of getting there. Expect annual repeats of the rent default until a better licence is finally agreed and redevelopment of the CAP site begins.

They all seem pretty happy with it, but it's no way to run a chip shop.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 7:03pm
the blues are not paying the rent they owe here or at the vale. Bad tennants pure and simple they are the ones at fault here no one else.  I’ m sure they’d like to take over the ground, but as they can’t even afford the rent on the ground.So those wishes are pie in the sky pipe dreams. The blues have and always have suffered from delusions of grandeur. Their egos Are writing cheques their wallets just can’t cash

Edited by RR1972 - 09 July 2019 at 11:18pm
TurkQuay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurkQuay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

From a well-genned Cardiff supporter, I take out the following:

• Cardiff Blues Ltd (CBL) is the professional arm of Cardiff RFC
  • CAC & CBL are in an arm-wrestle, pre-negotiating over the future licence for use of CAP by Cardiff Blues
  • there are 3 CAC board members on the CBL board, so they operate partly in unison - not quite hand-in-glove, but a couple of fingers in it
  • CBL pay CAC rent for CAP - they tend to be slow paying it every year, but I'm told the outstanding balance will be paid this week - perhaps a way for CBL to focus CAC's mind on a more sustainable permanent solution
  • the turbulent, slightly chaotic relationship is 'normal' - this is how they've got along for years and is likely to continue until a new licence is agreed
  • CBL would probably like to take over the site and develop it to make it a facility worthy of their history - but CAC don't want to sell to CBL, presumably because they want any development to benefit the constituent parts of the club, not just the rugby arm 
  • CAC are apparently proceeding with the development of CAP themselves, to realise the potential revenue from a shared heritage sports facility with hotel/conference facilities - part of the proceeds will go to CAC and the rest to CBL, so both benefit from the development
They all have the same aim, but a dysfunctional (also slow and opaque) way of getting there. Expect annual repeats of the rent default until a better licence is finally agreed and redevelopment of the CAP site begins.

They all seem pretty happy with it, but it's no way to run a chip shop.
Thanks very much Thumbs Up.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2019 at 1:06pm
CBL have paid their outstanding rent to CAC. It will now all go quiet until they next default on their rent.Wacko

A Cardiff Athletic Club statement read: "We are pleased to announce Cardiff Blues have paid all of the outstanding rent and ancillary charges due to Cardiff Athletic Club.

"Cardiff Athletic Club looks forward to working with Cardiff Blues to improve facilities at Cardiff Arms Park and to enable them to become the success we all aspire towards."

Edited by NobbySosban - 22 July 2019 at 1:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic