Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cardiff blues to leave arms park

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cardiff blues to leave arms park
    Posted: 05 February 2018 at 6:22pm
Just heard on news that the blues are to move out of CAP to a purpose built stadium the location to be decided.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Sponsored Links

joni_bach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni_bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 6:41pm
Sardis Road perhaps!
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 7:01pm
Well they say they're looking into it but tbh I'm sure this is a negotiation tactic to get the Cardiff Athletic Club to reach an agreement with them. I doubt it would happen
totallybiasedscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 8:35pm
Sounds like tictacs to me, which is a shame from a purely Welsh rugby perspective. I’d like to see all four regions firing on all cylinders, preferably playing with the level of skill and endeavour we’ve seen over the last few years with our boys (as long as we beat them all that is ). The cherry on the cake would be to get RGC into the Pro [insert number here] as a development region if it could be afforded.

If they have any sense they’ll relocate to around Llanishen or Tongwynlais area, just off the M4, drop the Cardiff name and get folks on board from Brecon to Barry and everything inbetween.
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

Well they say they're looking into it but tbh I'm sure this is a negotiation tactic to get the Cardiff Athletic Club to reach an agreement with them. I doubt it would happen

Yes, I think that's where the Blues are at... there's nothing definite about this, yet.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 10:40pm
The Arms Park is prime development land in the centre of Cardiff and would go for a pretty sum if ever it became available. Ask any supporter or neutral and they would be very angry at the thought of leaving  such a convenient and historical spot for a characterless out of town site.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

The Arms Park is prime development land in the centre of Cardiff and would go for a pretty sum if ever it became available. Ask any supporter or neutral and they would be very angry at the thought of leaving  such a convenient and historical spot for a characterless out of town site.

There’s a familiar ring to this ....
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 9:29am

And of course to an extent they already tried that when going to the Cardiff City Stadium and that can't really be called out of town (compared to some stadium new builds)and it was a total failure for Cardiff rugby. Yep they'll be staying where they are
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 9:56am
I think their problem is that they’re scared of alienating the core Cardiff RFC crowd but they’ve never really reached out to anyone else. CCS was never going to work out when they had no support outside of their traditional fanbase.

It makes me grateful that the Scarlets have built so well on our Llanelli heritage. We were derided for it ... all seems to have been forgotten at the moment. I guess we were fortunate in the scope Llanelli had in West Wales as a club but credit where it’s due, when folks talk about the so called “one true region” I just think we’ve actually walked the walk so to speak.

Anyhow, wherever the Blues park up, I hope for the sake of Welsh rugby that they get their focus right. I think they need to be brave and risk losing some of the old RFC support and become something bigger than that.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 10:20am
Sounds like its all part of the negotiating strategy by pies. 
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 11:54am
http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/42951454

Reading the above, it appears that part of the issue is due to rent arreas from the Blues. 

Edited by Mrfwon - 06 February 2018 at 12:35pm
Guinness Pro 12 Champions 2017...get in!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 12:07pm
Mr Pies playing brinksmanship. Can’t see them ever leaving unless they hop behind and play at the Principality like Edinburgh have done in Murrayfield ?

Edited by reesytheexile - 06 February 2018 at 12:08pm
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

Reading the above, it appears that part of the issue is due to rent areas from the Blues. 

Arrears?
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 12:11pm
They said they we going to build their own place down the Bay before they ended up in CCS.  They don't seem to know what they want.  Certainly seems like a negotiating tactic to stay put.  They don't get the crowds for a bigger stadium.  They have surely learned from our 'build it and they will come regardless' mistake.  They came with success. Blues have none.
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

Reading the above, it appears that part of the issue is due to rent arrears from the Blues. 

Arrears?

HAHA well spotted! LOL that'll teach me for multi-tasking whilst writing a reply LOLLOLLOL
Guinness Pro 12 Champions 2017...get in!
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

And of course to an extent they already tried that when going to the Cardiff City Stadium and that can't really be called out of town (compared to some stadium new builds)and it was a total failure for Cardiff rugby. Yep they'll be staying where they are
in fairness, that move was more than rugby. The stadium I believe was a multipurpose stadium in the bid for grants etc as well for the retail park.

I believe they paid a hefty fine for leaving CCS.

Plenty of areas around Cardiff City centre  they could develop on...I wonder if this is some tactics from Peter Thomas who wants WRU control. They denied it when they wanted temp takeover for the development of arms park - but that's not going ahead now - he has a few times threatened to walk.
Not sure what will happen but Cardiff Athletic will lose a fair chunk of cash without the Blues. Could be a case of egos getting in the way of a deal. could be wrong, but I think this is more of a threat than something that will happen to perhaps force athletic into agreement.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic