Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cardiff Blues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cardiff Blues
    Posted: 09 September 2017 at 9:58am
How long do we give Danny? Shortage of money may be his saviour. With some tough games coming up it is quite feasible they could be zero from 5. That would all but end hopes of making the play-offs/Champions Cup this season. 

I have often criticised the fact that they don't seem to bring through an apparent abundance of under 20's talent but now they seem to have gone the other way. With two front line tight heads injured they allow an experienced International to join Bath on loan and use a 20 & 21 year old against Cian Heay & Co. Talk about the sublime to the ridiculous. They are in desperate need of some clear thinking among the management group. 

I also note that the wonder boy centre of the Aviva last year - Jack Roberts - has not featured yet while his predecessor was getting MOM for the Ospreys last weekend. 
Sponsored Links

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 11:31am
The side Blues have under Wilson IMO should be doing a damn site better. 
I am not convinced about Wilson as a head coach. He has a decent squad but you are right they have gone from one extreme to the other with regards to their u020. To me, they have recruited badly, and let better players go. Patchell, Cory Allen - both of who are Cardiff lads. George Earl another - I liked him with us, but Wilson knew full well his injury issues, and still signed him. Then the whole Van der Merwe fiasco in the summer. 

Wilson did wonders with our young pack as the laws of the scrums changed. He hardly managed to get anythin great out of a very strong pack in the championship in England, before heading into a head coach role at the capital. Too much too soon perhaps? is he more suited to be a forwards coach and nothing more? 
He may also lack experience around him as well which is why Edwards is now there once or twice a week. 

I wouldnt be surprised to see him walk if results like this continue.
The side just seem to be clueless. not drilled at all. They seem to run out of ideas quickly and thats not good at all. It will be very interesting when they meet the Welsh regions. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 11:33am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

I am not convinced about Wilson as a head coach. He has a decent squad but you are right they have gone from one extreme to the other with regards to their u020. To me, they have recruited badly, and let better players go. Patchell, Cory Allen - both of who are Cardiff lads. George Earl another - I liked him with us, but Wilson knew full well his injury issues, and still signed him. Then the whole Van der Merwe fiasco in the summer. 

Wilson did wonders with our young pack as the laws of the scrums changed. He hardly managed to get anythin great out of a very strong pack in the championship in England, before heading into a head coach role at the capital. Too much too soon perhaps? is he more suited to be a forwards coach and nothing more? 
He may also lack experience around him as well which is why Edwards is now there once or twice a week. 

The side just seem to be clueless. not drilled at all. They seem to run out of ideas quickly and thats not good at all. It will be very interesting when they meet the Welsh regions. 
They didn't leave Patchell and Allen go they chose to go
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

They didn't leave Patchell and Allen go they chose to go

Forced to leave.
Patchell wanted to play 10, Wilson reluctant.
Allen wanted to play, Wilson reluctant.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 1:21pm
Blues put up decent resistance last night until the last 15 min, when they caved in completely. I hoped they'd at least deny Leinster a BP, but it wasn't to be. 

Leinster were clearly the better team, but made heavy weather of the game - tries from a rolling maul, cross kick, ball dropped by Blues (how on earth was the replacement hooker able to run in a try from 45 yards?) and a late try when the Blues had given up on tackling... so Leinster were some way off their best, too.

Blues have been a bit of a mess for years, and with the Pieman asking to be taken over by the WRU recently, presumably their financial situation is rather precarious, too.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 1:25pm
Gives me no pleasure to see them looking so bad. They should be a world class region. Sadly they are a shambles. The most worrying thing for me is the lack of talent coming through there in the past decade. Yes theyve had the odd patchell cory allen. But even they left. The lack of talent and development there is shocking. They seem to cling on to players like moitika and filse too long and recruit aging stars like nick williams, perhaps at the detriment of developing new talent in those positions
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 1:41pm
Yes none of us should take pleasure in seeing any region struggle. We need all regions to contribute to the Welsh cause for us to have any hope of success. From a very selfish point of view I don't want to see the Scarlets further handicapped than they already are during the International windows. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 2:30pm
They have plenty of talent, albeit they have a really challenging first 5 games ( which makes the Edinburgh loss so much more painful for them).
I'd expect them to pull things up through October.

What can un-hinge them is the owners and their willingness to fund things sensibly. Letting the SA lock go without a game and then letting Scott Andrews out on loan is surely just a sign of the owners pulling up.

I'm a great fan of 30+ forwards in the pack, not necessarily a pack of 30+ forwards

Edited by Wil Chips - 09 September 2017 at 2:31pm
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 4:55pm
Time for Blues and Drags to merge they bring very little to table in respect of developing talent it would give us more money you would have three strong regions. Both teams an embarrassment in league and have been for some time
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Time for Blues and Drags to merge they bring very little to table in respect of developing talent it would give us more money you would have three strong regions. Both teams an embarrassment in league and have been for some time

They develop quite a few in fairness. Ellis Jenkins, Dillon Lewis, Jarred Evans, Seb Davies, Rhun Williams, Tomos Williams the most recent prospects and before then there was Kristian Dacey, Cory Allen, plus Warburton, Lloyd Williams, Halfpenny.
They do develop but for whatever reason, in what is his 3rd season, I can't see blues making any progress under Wilson.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Not the answer, country requires 4 teams, look how long it's taken Scotland to recover since the removal of the Borders.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 6:06pm
All brought on by they're own arrogance
If it bleeds we can can kill it
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 6:11pm
Would rather have three competetive teams than the situation now. the regions are there for the good of the Nationsl team as long as I can remember the blues and Dragons have not pulled weight and are a burden on us and O"s. Isn't it time we said enough is enough share the money three ways and be competetive. We could afford to keep all best players in Wales have three teams in CC no point throwing good money after bad.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 6:21pm
Remember we have also had bad years when blues went on to lift the European Trophy. Not the main trophy no, but that gave us a lifeline and we managed to wualify for Europe because of their success. That side has come to an end and they have not yet built a side since. Call it lack of money, lack of know how by coaches since young, call it whatever...we need to realise that there will be, has been, barron years in the production line where nobody makes the grade. We have gone through what the blues are going through. We shouldn't forget that. I'm seeing Ospreys heading in the same way to be honest, so this is perfect time for blues to blood their young guns now to stand them in good stead for the future. It's the capital region, there will always be a region there, with or without pies. They will be as competitive as they once were again too.

Swings and roundabouts.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 6:37pm
I do agree that the Blues need a change of leadership. Despite his detractors Pies has put a lot of dosh in to the Blues down the years, but that investment weighs on him these days.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 7:07pm
Yet today we see the new man in the Dragons talking of them being best Region in Wales in 5 years and standing next to WRU CEO Martyn Phillips? What's going on?  
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic