Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Centre pairing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 2:16pm
It's a great position to be in that Stef Hughes a quality player who would walk into all of the other three regions first 23 has been barely mentioned.
I know Pivac mentioned Samson has improved fitness this has been highlighted by the amount if carries he had made in last two games. He seems to be now one of the go to men when we need to go straight and tie a few defenders in.
Boyde superb last night as was Shingler but the impressive thing for me is that the subs come straight on and up the momentum just when we need it with no loss if quality.
One hell of a squad and to think we got two lions to fit in yet.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by TheKing TheKing wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by Feverpitch Feverpitch wrote:

Is it only me or is Scott just an ordinary player, lucky to be an international.. his passing is ordinary at best and he doesn't have a kicking game. Best attribute is the defensive qualities and confrontational straightenining of the line, in short nothing skillfull.
I know we haven't seen a lot of him and it's big shoes to fill but Asquith seems to have the quick feet and range of passing for a 12 in the style that Pivac seems to be developing. And with Foxy at 13 if he comes back in form could expand our game even further....
With a pack providing good quick ball and a backline to think on their feet, it can only get better
shame there isn't an emoticon for deluded W*****.Angry

Don't be an idiot. He's perfectly entitled to his opinion. Its also perfectly fair to say that Scott has not had a good start and Asquith is looking full of potential in a number of positions.
I ain't no idiot and I agree everyone is entitled to his/her opinion,by all means call his early season form into question but on the basis of 3 games so far scott is an ordinary player who is lucky to be an international player with nothing to his game apart from running straight and tackling,that isn't an opinion it is a sly ,childish personal dig at a player,but hey on the plus side based on said posters opinion we should have no trouble getting scott to sign another contract as I doubt nobody would dream of signing an ordinary luky international with all those attributes from his game.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

Its testimony to how far we've come on that we have competition for places all across the squad but yeah centre must give the coaches some headaches. For those not at the last meet the coaches it was a facinating insight into selection for the last 2 games last year. This is how it goes re the backs, Byron looks at defence, tackles made, tackles missed. Probably he looks at the impact in the collisons etc. Stevo looks at offence, passing, breaks, yards gained try assists etc. Foxy was on fire so he was in, which left a choice between Scott and Hadleigh. Byron because he's defence coach went Hadleigh, Stevo because he's attack went Scott so that left the casting vote to Pivac. They spent days over this such was the headache. But as the last 2 games were more like test matches than Pro 12 games he went for Scott because has shown at test level that he can produce it on the big occassion. The result being Scott makes a break against Leinster-Try, Scott makes a break against Munster-Try.

Whilst we all will have our opinions on who's the best and this 'is' the place to discuss it, we must however strive not to be rude or disrespectful to any of our boys and ultimately we and the players have to respect the coaches selection. Why? because they've earned it.

I'm sure there will be many such selection headaches this season and long may that continue.

Very, very interesting - thanks for that.

I don't feel Scott has played his best rugby yet this season, but he was definitely better v Zebre than vs Kings... had a very solid game apart from the late interception pass (almost irrelevant as the game was won) and earlier, spilling a clever pass from Mcnicholl when in the gap - it looked a decent pass, so...

I'm a big admirer of Scott's, but no team should be picked on reputation alone. Foxy is the class act at 13, so the coaches should start him v Ulster, unless they have doubts about his match fitness. I'd go with Parkes at 12 (has been his usual dependable self), but really, it's a 50:50 call. Scott will definitely be a key player for Scarlets this season - sooner or later.

As for Asquith - a promising start, maybe especially with his ability to knock back cross-kicks to supporting players. Blotted his copy-book slightly with a pass to Steff some way above his head, when a bullet to the bread basket could have given him the time and space to score in the corner. A bit of sharpening with skills training should sort that out - Scarlets' passing has been so, so good overall for some time now. The weather, of course, was an issue.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Flaggman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 3:43pm
Loving the centre debate, I think the bottom line for me is that I'd be happy with any combination of the four we have (Foxy, SW, HP and Asquith). If I had to choose I'd go for HP at 12 (as I believe he's the only genuine inside centre out of the four) and Foxy at 13.
mammamammon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammamammon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 4:34pm
Can't see how Foxy will be up to speed for Ulster so would go with Parkes and Scott.
I think our best pairing is Parkes and Foxy.
Nice selection dilemma to have
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 7:33pm

Is it only me or is Scott just an ordinary player, lucky to be an international.. his passing is ordinary at best and he doesn't have a kicking game. Best attribute is the defensive qualities and confrontational straightenining of the line, in short nothing skillfull.
I know we haven't seen a lot of him and it's big shoes to fill but Asquith seems to have the quick feet and range of passing for a 12 in the style that Pivac seems to be developing. And with Foxy at 13 if he comes back in form could expand our game even further....
With a pack providing good quick ball and a backline to think on their feet, it can only get better

Don't be an idiot. He's perfectly entitled to his opinion. Its also perfectly fair to say that Scott has not had a good start and Asquith is looking full of potential in a number of positions.

I ain't no idiot and I agree everyone is entitled to his/her opinion,by all means call his early season form into question but on the basis of 3 games so far scott is an ordinary player who is lucky to be an international player with nothing to his game apart from running straight and tackling,that isn't an opinion it is a sly ,childish personal dig at a player,but hey on the plus side based on said posters opinion we should have no trouble getting scott to sign another contract as I doubt nobody would dream of signing an ordinary luky international with all those attributes from his game.
Don't feed the trolls Ladram. Not worth the effort or time.
Feverpitch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feverpitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 10:42pm

Not based on 3 games but on what I've seen over the last few seasons.
Scott does play well occasionally but not consistent, but that's just my opinion.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 6:15am

[QUOTE=Feverpitch]Is it only me or is Scott just an ordinary player, lucky to be an international.. his passing is ordinary at best and he doesn't have a kicking game. Best attribute is the defensive qualities and confrontational straightenining of the line, in short nothing skillfull.

Scott does play well occasionally but not consistent, but that's just my opinion.[/QUOTE]
to which your entitled,thankfully a lions winning grand slam winning and pro 12 winning coaches don't share your opinion.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 11:18am

Scott does play well occasionally but not consistent, but that's just my opinion.

Thank god it's just your opinion and you are just a punter like me and not in this biz professionally...jeez Ouch

When you think of some of the tries Scott has scored...and match winners too...anyone remember the time he made Courtney Lawes look daft and scored the match winner Wales v England.

I'm sorry Feverpitch but I'm glad it's your opinion as I haven't had that much to laugh about on a Monday morning for quite some time fair play.
diego6754 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 1:22pm
I know I'm probably riding a wave of hysterical over confidence however I don't think the 50/50 selection decisions matter next weekend. I think whoever we put out we will win, if Ulster play like they did against Trevisio we will win comfortably. However if it was me I'd have Ken and JD both on the bench and then both starting the week after against Edinburgh who look no mugs this season.

Scott is an international class centre, not at his blistering best at the mo but not letting anyone down. My performance in work sort of did the same thing when the Missus was expecting and for a few months after. Sure he'll hit a purple patch soon enough!!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 1:39pm
Interesting cross section of views on this.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

I know I'm probably riding a wave of hysterical over confidence however I don't think the 50/50 selection decisions matter next weekend. I think whoever we put out we will win, if Ulster play like they did against Trevisio we will win comfortably. However if it was me I'd have Ken and JD both on the bench and then both starting the week after against Edinburgh who look no mugs this season.

Scott is an international class centre, not at his blistering best at the mo but not letting anyone down. My performance in work sort of did the same thing when the Missus was expecting and for a few months after. Sure he'll hit a purple patch soon enough!!

Can't see Ulster playing as badly at the Kingspan. They have a strong back row and back 5 behind. We are stronger, in my opinion, in the front 5 and at half back. Take our points and build a lead. Won't be long before the Kingspan "faithful" turn on their team. 
InTheBath View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InTheBath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 2:42pm
Scott and Jon is our best pairing, but I am happy with any combination for a Pro14 match.
cymroab View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cymroab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 2:48pm
We are lucky that we have a number of combinations at centre that are of a very high quality. This allows us to pick the best combination depending on the strengths f the opposition. Also the chances are that some of the centres will be carrying some form of injury at any one time.

What is the best centre combination? It depends on who we are playing and who is the fittest at that time.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 4:39pm
It seems from another thread that Foxy is not being considered for Ulster, so Scott and Hadleigh will start.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic