Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Champions Cup Draw 2017/18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Champions Cup Draw 2017/18
    Posted: 05 June 2017 at 2:35pm
The pool draw for next season's Champions Cup takes place in Neuchatel, Switzerland on Thursday. 

The four tiers are as follows;

Tier 1: Scarlets, Exeter, Clermont + 2 from Wasps/Munster/Toulon*
Tier 2: One from Wasps/Munster/Toulon, Leinster, Saracens, La Rochelle and one from Leicester, Ospreys, Racing 92*
Tier 3: Two from Leicester/Ospreys/Racing 92*, Ulster, Bath, Montpellier.
Tier 4: Glasgow, Treviso, Harlequins, Castres, Northampton

*a draw will take place to decide which tier the 2nd and 4th placed teams go into. The draw will be done on the same day as the main draw.

Which teams would everyone like us to draw? Factors being the difficulty of the opposition and the best places to go for away trips etc.

I would say the toughest group, on paper, would be Saracens, Leicester and Glasgow.

Personally i'd quite like Racing 92, Bath and Treviso. All three are great places to visit, and I could definitely see us getting out of a group with those sides in!

Edited by PritchyTheScarlet - 05 June 2017 at 2:48pm
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 3:06pm
Would be happy to take us, Racing, Bath & Treviso

Will probably get us, Toulon, Ulster & Northampton
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Would be happy to take us, Racing, Bath & Treviso

Will probably get us, Toulon, Ulster & Northampton
We can't draw any of the other Pro12 teams in the first 3 tiers.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by PritchyTheScarlet PritchyTheScarlet wrote:

I would say the toughest group, on paper, would be Saracens, Leicester and Glasgow.
This is also impossible. The first 3 teams in each pool must contain each a Pro12/Aviva/Top14 team. 

If we get Saracens, it will have to be a French team in tier 3 for example.
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

This is also impossible. The first 3 teams in each pool must contain each a Pro12/Aviva/Top14 team. 

I'd replace Leicester with Montpellier in that case.
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 4:19pm
A trip to Bath be nice
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 4:25pm
La Rochelle, Bath and Castres. (Treviso have no real business being in the Cup).
welshbenny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote welshbenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

La Rochelle, Bath and Castres. (Treviso have no real business being in the Cup).

They may not be, and from next season on they almost certainly won't be as they won't qualify.

Whilst they're in the draw however, I hope to God we draw them :)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by welshbenny welshbenny wrote:

They may not be, and from next season on they almost certainly won't be as they won't qualify.

Hear hear!!!!
Flaggman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 7:11pm
Don't care who we get! Bring it on...
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by welshbenny welshbenny wrote:

Both Scarlets and Ospreys have found Treviso to be a bogey team.  But I still maintain that, overall, they should not be in the RCC at all.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 7:24pm

I'm with you on this trio.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 7:26pm
Mind you, with Treviso in the pool and playing to normal form, there is a greater chance of exiting the group.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 9:59pm
It would be nice to get one or two big draws like a Leicester or a Bath and a Paris based club just to guarantee a bumper crowd at PYS.
However we have often complained about being given the rough end of the draw in Europe and now that we have qualified as one of the top 3 seeds we need to make the most of it and take advantage of this by taking on some bankers home and away e.g. Treviso. This could be our best chance of proceeding into the knockout stages for the first time in a long while.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 10:08pm
Have we ever had an Italian team in our group? I can remember a lot of moaning that the Os always got one, and we didn't.

Just for this (probably) last occasion for Treviso, it would be nice to have them... I'd like Racing 92 and Bath to go with that.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Vulcan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vulcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

How can we get Saracens?
Aren't we both tier 1 ?
Oops, just realised sarries aren't tier 1.

Edited by Vulcan - 05 June 2017 at 10:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic