Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Christian Wade Off To NFL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christian Wade Off To NFL
    Posted: 19 October 2018 at 12:54pm
Wasps winger Christian Wade, the third highest try-scorer in the English Premiership, has quit rugby union with immediate effect - he's off to try and make himself an NFL star in the good ol' USA of America.

Not clear which gridiron team he'll join, or what position he'll play (I'm guessing not Tackle), but, at 27, he's clearly decided he needs a new challenge in life. He got his one England cap in 2013, and was also part of the B&I Lions squad that year, but more international honours failed to materialise.

In case you feel too sorry for Wasps, they're likely to sign All Black Malakai Fekitoa, although not until next season. Shocked

Twitterer @ebenezer68
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Wasps winger Christian Wade, the third highest try-scorer in the English Premiership, has quit rugby union with immediate effect - he's off to try and make himself an NFL star in the good ol' USA of America.

Not clear which gridiron team he'll join, or what position he'll play (I'm guessing not Tackle), but, at 27, he's clearly decided he needs a new challenge in life. He got his one England cap in 2013, and was also part of the B&I Lions squad that year, but more international honours failed to materialise.

In case you feel too sorry for Wasps, they're likely to sign All Black Malakai Fekitoa, although not until next season. Shocked

The problem with the NFL (for the players) is two-fold:

1. it seems that many contracts can be terminated just like that by the team - as was explained recently on the BBC by Osi Oniyemura, in sympathising with a guy who refused to play unless he was given an extended contract, or allowed to transfer to another team willing to offer one.

2. Injuries - looking at the tackling (which technically is pretty poor) it looks as if anything goes apart from deliberate helmet-to-helmet contact or spear tackles. High tackles with the arm are OK. Another player looking for an 'out' got injured when he played - as Osi said, that justified the other guy's stance in insisting on a 'proper' contract before he'd risk playing.

I hope Wade knows what he's getting into.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic