Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coaches out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2020 at 6:57pm
I would consider Robert Jones as a backs coach- Robert was a very well respected interim backs coach before being replaced by the Pivac regime, Holley was also well respected and both got our backs playing with confidence and in the scarlets way.
Dai Young would be a very good shout as Head Coach though.
Sponsored Links

Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2020 at 7:11pm
Let’s not go back. Or get random coaches from west wales. A consultant maybe. One thing I think is missing is an understanding of the club and the passion amongst the greats on match days. Brad was very affected by the likes of Phil Bennett having a chat after the game and explaining the importance of the Scarlets. It builds responsibility. Sadly, in this era of COVID everything feels cold and soulless. I am prepared to give the team until Christmas - changing things now won’t achieve a great deal. Get Barclay in for a couple of months to build the passion again. The team could do with having a bit of fun together but where can they go? Difficult times. 
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2020 at 7:17pm
I’d like to see a culture change and for that i’d like someone such as Jim Mallinder who turned Northampton Saints into a force to be reckoned with. We need to establish a long term plan, I dont want to see chop and change for the sake of a bad year. Get a big name or don’t bother. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2020 at 8:10pm
Was it on reflection, a mistake bringing in Richard Kelly for Ioan Cunningham who was pretty much respected by the forwards  I thought?🤔 it’s the pack who aren’t really gelling and when you watch the Leinster team last night you saw how they moved in 2 or more forwards close by, not in ones, which we seem to be a bit prone to and losing momentum as well as risking isolation. 
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Jones2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2020 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Was it on reflection, a mistake bringing in Richard Kelly for Ioan Cunningham who was pretty much respected by the forwards  I thought?🤔 it’s the pack who aren’t really gelling and when you watch the Leinster team last night you saw how they moved in 2 or more forwards close by, not in ones, which we seem to be a bit prone to and losing momentum as well as risking isolation. 
I don’t think so as over the last few years we haven’t really played as a pack, more as individuals in the forwards, while this year the problems have been primarily in the backs; although as you say our pack is still a millions miles behind the likes of Leinster. Let’s hope that Kelly can continue to improve our forward play over the course of the season.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2020 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

I would consider Robert Jones as a backs coach- Robert was a very well respected interim backs coach before being replaced by the Pivac regime, Holley was also well respected and both got our backs playing with confidence and in the scarlets way.
He hasn't coached at professional level since 2007...
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2020 at 10:27pm
Dai Young is a no for me. He struggled to get any decent results from a side which, after he left, made the final of the playoffs in the AP. 
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2020 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

He hasn't coached at professional level since 2007...
Sorry, I thought that he was with us more recently, doesn’t time fly for us scarlets fans.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2020 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

I have reserved judgement until now, cos I'm mature like that.

People say when we won the league we lost the first few with Pivac then look what happened. Those losses were hard to take but we were playing well and there was magic on the air, you could sense it.

Need to get out of this as cheaply as possible, bring someone in over his head and give him a sideways shift, perhaps he'll quit.

Can't believe Howley being mentioned but the appalling fact is, Howley would be an improvement 😱

Dai Young mentioned, even Phil Davies or Lyn Jones would be an improvement, these guys can put structure in place. What's Sean Holley doing these days? 
Doubt Sean Holley would be interested. He’s got the easy life of being a pundit.
No way would I want Howley! Or Lyn Jones! Not even on a short term/interim basis.

Dai Young the only name that should be considered from that list. Holley hasn't got a clue, he's worse than what we've got.

With Fiji in meltdown could Vern Cotter be persuaded? Could we afford him?

Seriously? Holley is one of the most successful coaches out there. 
BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2020 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

People say when we won the league we lost the first few with Pivac then look what happened. Those losses were hard to take but we were playing well and there was magic on the air, you could sense it.

Need to get out of this as cheaply as possible, bring someone in over his head and give him a sideways shift, perhaps he'll quit.

Can't believe Howley being mentioned but the appalling fact is, Howley would be an improvement 😱

Dai Young mentioned, even Phil Davies or Lyn Jones would be an improvement, these guys can put structure in place. What's Sean Holley doing these days? 

Doubt Sean Holley would be interested. He’s got the easy life of being a pundit.
No way would I want Howley! Or Lyn Jones! Not even on a short term/interim basis.

Dai Young the only name that should be considered from that list. Holley hasn't got a clue, he's worse than what we've got.

Was !
If it bleeds we can can kill it
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2020 at 6:40am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Dai Young is a no for me. He struggled to get any decent results from a side which, after he left, made the final of the playoffs in the AP. 
i wouldn't be surprised if dai young is being lined up as next welsh coach,there are a few texts circulating regarding the unhappiness in the wales camp with pivac.
Maple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2020 at 7:36am
Keep Holley as far from PYS as possible.
Give Blood, Play Rugby
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2020 at 9:25am
Originally posted by BlackwoodScarlet BlackwoodScarlet wrote:

Was !

No one has been able to seriously explain why Rob Howley was sought after by Warren Gatland from Wasps days and retained by him for TEN years during a great period for Welsh rugby.The bile spouted about him is just so wrong and unjust. Even Mc Bryde had neegativity yet somehow good enough for being hand picked at a slightly successful Irish club 🤨 People talk such rubbish sometimes. Let’s keep on demeaning our own . It’s the Welsh way after all 😂 no wonder people opt to go outside Wales or go to punditry  to avoid all this . 

Edited by reesytheexile - 10 November 2020 at 9:27am
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2020 at 9:38am

Was !

No one has been able to seriously explain why Rob Howley was sought after by Warren Gatland from Wasps days and retained by him for TEN years during a great period for Welsh rugby.The bile spouted about him is just so wrong and unjust. Even Mc Bryde had neegativity yet somehow good enough for being hand picked at a slightly successful Irish club 🤨 People talk such rubbish sometimes. Let’s keep on demeaning our own . It’s the Welsh way after all 😂 no wonder people opt to go outside Wales or go to punditry  to avoid all this . 

I totally agree with you. I am not Howley's greatest fan but would love to see him put his blueprint on a team without the contraints of Gatland. Other Welsh coaches - are now doing good things for the  Scottish defence & the Crusaders in NZ yet are totally discounted by many. Time to big up our own & give them a fighting chance I say. 
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2020 at 9:44am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Was !

I totally agree with you. I am not Howley's greatest fan but would love to see him put his blueprint on a team without the contraints of Gatland. Other Welsh coaches - are now doing good things for the  Scottish defence & the Crusaders in NZ yet are totally discounted by many. Time to big up our own & give them a fighting chance I say. 
Mark Ring!
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2020 at 10:31am

Was !

Who did he coach to back up the fact he’s no good anymore?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic