Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Conferences Next Term?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conferences Next Term?
    Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:04am
I was wondering how they will decide on next seasons conferences?

I guess that if you form a Pro 14 based on points secured for this season, and then split accordingly as they did last term.

If you did that the league would look like this:

Glasgow     76
Leinster      70
Scarlets      70
Munster      69
Edinburgh   68
Cheetahs    63
Ulster         62
Benneton    55
Blues          54
Ospreys      44
Connaght    39
Zebre         36
Dargons      20
Kings          11.

Interesting to see the Blues would finish 9th despite being lauded as the team of the moment.Wink

No doubt the powers that be will have some weird and wonderful other way to divide the cake.

Page the oracle
Sponsored Links

minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:14am
They were split last season on the final standings after playoffs, ie us and Munster weren't in the same pool. I think that might have a baring on how it ends up filtering down from the top. 

Based on your table and the way they have to divide it in teams per country, I wouldn't expect it to change too much.

A B
Glasgow Leinster
Munster Scarlets
Cheetahs Edinburgh
Blues Ulster
Dragons Ospreys
Zebre Benetton
Connacht Kings

But again, could all change depending on who makes the final.
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:14am
Originally posted by knutsfordlion knutsfordlion wrote:

I was wondering how they will decide on next seasons conferences?

I guess that if you form a Pro 14 based on points secured for this season, and then split accordingly as they did last term.

If you did that the league would look like this:

Glasgow     76
Leinster      70
Scarlets      70
Munster      69
Edinburgh   68
Cheetahs    63
Ulster         62
Benneton    55
Blues          54
Ospreys      44
Connaght    39
Zebre         36
Dargons      20
Kings          11.

Interesting to see the Blues would finish 9th despite being lauded as the team of the moment.Wink

No doubt the powers that be will have some weird and wonderful other way to divide the cake.

Whatever the Conference split, Dragons will have an "Invincible" season and sweep all before them ... According to the Viet Gwent / Clarts I work with every day !
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:15am
See I've got this based on "Each union will rank their teams based upon their points totals from the previous season’s Championship table"

Conference A

Ireland One                        Leinster

Ireland Four                       Connacht

Wales Two                          Blues

Wales Three                       Ospreys

Scotland One                     Glasgow

Italy Two                              Zebre

South Africa One              Cheetahs

Conference B

Wales One                          Scarlets

Wales Four                         Dragons

Ireland Two                        Munster            

Ireland Three                     Ulster

Scotland Two                     Edinburgh

Italy One                              Benetton

South Africa Two              Southern Kings

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:21am
Will we have 11 home league games next season? Instead of the 10 we had this season?

And will Cardiff, for instance, have 10 home league games, instead of the 11 they had this season?
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:26am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Will we have 11 home league games next season? Instead of the 10 we had this season?

And will Cardiff, for instance, have 10 home league games, instead of the 11 they had this season?

You got it in one...

Teams will play either 10 or 11 away games per season, so for example, if Scarlets play 11 away games in 2017/18 then the goal when putting together the fixture list in 2018/19 will be to ensure they play 10 away games.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

You got it in one...

Teams will play either 10 or 11 away games per season, so for example, if Scarlets play 11 away games in 2017/18 then the goal when putting together the fixture list in 2018/19 will be to ensure they play 10 away games.
I personally don't see how that'll be possible unless they keep the same conferences as this season, but i'll happily wait and see!
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:50am
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

You got it in one...

Teams will play either 10 or 11 away games per season, so for example,
if Scarlets play 11 away games in 2017/18 then the goal when putting
together the fixture list in 2018/19 will be to ensure they play 10 away
games.

I personally don't see how that'll be possible unless they keep the same conferences as this season, but i'll happily wait and see!

Me neither.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:53am
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

You got it in one...

Well from the conferences I have posted, it will mean we play all the teams in our conference (plus the Blues & Ospreys from A) home & away which takes us to 8 home & 8 away. The organisers then have to decide who we play home & away out of Leinster, Connact, Cheetahs, Glasgow & Zebre Cheetahs... this is where the headache will be I guess, we played Connacht at home this year so we play them away as a given.

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:58am
Might they arrange it 1st and 14th in A, 2nd and 13th in B, etc, akin to the playoffs in the European Cup ?

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 10:05am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Might they arrange it 1st and 14th in A, 2nd and 13th in B, etc, akin to the playoffs in the European Cup ?

No, each conference has to have half the competing nations teams/provinces/regions. Otherwise you could end up (very unlikely thought) with a conference of

Leinster
Munster
Ulster
Scarlets
Blues
Ospreys
Connacht
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 10:25am
Ok thanks for that.
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 10:27am
I know how the Ecc play offs work but who thinks ulster on 62 Pts have to play Ospreys on 44 pts. Wonderful league we have isn't it
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

I know how the Ecc play offs work but who thinks ulster on 62 Pts have to play Ospreys on 44 pts. Wonderful league we have isn't it

It could yet be Benetton they (Ospreys) play off against.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 10:40am

I think that became impossible when Glarster failed to qualfy through their league position. They now qualify through their challenge cup exploits which somehow means Ulster don't qualify without going through the process of a qualifying game. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 10:43am
Originally posted by John John wrote:

I think that became impossible when Glarster failed to qualfy through their league position. They now qualify through their challenge cup exploits which somehow means Ulster don't qualify without going through the process of a qualifying game. 

Of course, my apologies, I forgot they slipped down the league. It is a bit of a joke that Ulster could miss out
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic