Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Conferences Next Term?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

See I've got this based on "Each union will rank their teams based upon their points totals from the previous season’s Championship table"

Conference A

Ireland One                        Leinster

Ireland Four                       Connacht

Wales Two                          Blues

Wales Three                       Ospreys

Scotland One                     Glasgow

Italy Two                              Zebre

South Africa One              Cheetahs

Conference B

Wales One                          Scarlets

Wales Four                         Dragons

Ireland Two                        Munster            

Ireland Three                     Ulster

Scotland Two                     Edinburgh

Italy One                              Benetton

South Africa Two              Southern Kings

There was mention (back in August) that Wales and Ireland would switch places after a year so Wales 1 would be with Italy 2, Scotland 1 and SAf 1. The other thing that has dropped seemingly is that the final league placings are decided by playoff position. So Munster were confirmed as Ireland 1 when they reached last years final and Leinster didn't. If Leinster had won the pro 12, they would have been Ireland 1.

And of course if the denied rumours of three further SAf teams joining over the next season or two actually happen, then there will be further changes.
Sponsored Links

ScarletSpiderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 1:30pm
Same conferences as this season, with the possibility of switching Munster/Leinster swapping depending on who is in the final.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by ScarletSpiderman ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Same conferences as this season, with the possibility of switching Munster/Leinster swapping depending on who is in the final.

Knowledge, or guesswork?
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
mammamammon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammamammon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 10:11pm
I thought they’re going to be the same other than reversing the home/away fixtures against teams in the opposite conference?
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 11:10am
I always thought they picked the conferences last season and said the fixtures would alternate next season with the same teams in each group. Other wise if we mix teams in conference up we could still end up not playing munster home, or connaught away for another season.

I was under the impression it just flips over next season with same conference.
Fozzie View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Gas-mask optional.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 1:17pm
I thought that they changed the conferences every two seasons so next seasons will be the same as this unless teams join from SA, USA, Eastern Europe etc.
f'dang b'dang boy
Sarnian scarlet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnian scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:15pm
Better be Connacht away as Galway is without doubt the best away trip.....Hopefully the Kings away as well as fancy a bit of Port Elizabeth action around January time !!!
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:46pm
Conferences are entirely based on splitting each country’ teams in half, then seeding based on league positions. They will most likely change every year.
We're still still here!
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Conferences are entirely based on splitting each country’ teams in half, then seeding based on league positions. They will most likely change every year.

But the problem with that is you then cannot guarantee every team that played 10 home games this season, to play 11 home games next season. I think it has to work on a 2 year cycle. Exactly the same teams for 2 years then switch. The switch could be based league form for that 2nd year, OR an average of the last 2 years, OR my preferred where you just have a schedule over I don't know 4 x 2 season cycles? where all teams have all the other teams in their conference for at least 2 seasons.

How confident are we that there wil be another 2 saffer teams in the Pro14/16 next season. Just WalesOnLine finger in the air stuff or are there other sources?
Scarlets before Wales
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:58am
To me the idea of the other Super rugby teams joining is just being put out there for purposes of the current sanzar negotiations (so don't push it in a way we don't like or we may go north). They won't be joining us.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

But the problem with that is you then cannot guarantee every team that played 10 home games this season, to play 11 home games next season. That's correct. They said they will try to achieve that but it isn't guaranteed
I think it has to work on a 2 year cycle. Exactly the same teams for 2 years then switch. The switch could be based league form for that 2nd year, OR an average of the last 2 years, OR my preferred where you just have a schedule over I don't know 4 x 2 season cycles? where all teams have all the other teams in their conference for at least 2 seasons.

How confident are we that there wil be another 2 saffer teams in the Pro14/16 next season. Just WalesOnLine finger in the air stuff or are there other sources? There won't be any more teams in the league before 19/20
We're still still here!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:03pm

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

But the problem with that is you then cannot guarantee every team that played 10 home games this season, to play 11 home games next season. That's correct. They said they will try to achieve that but it isn't guaranteed
I think it has to work on a 2 year cycle. Exactly the same teams for 2 years then switch. The switch could be based league form for that 2nd year, OR an average of the last 2 years, OR my preferred where you just have a schedule over I don't know 4 x 2 season cycles? where all teams have all the other teams in their conference for at least 2 seasons.

How confident are we that there wil be another 2 saffer teams in the Pro14/16 next season. Just WalesOnLine finger in the air stuff or are there other sources? There won't be any more teams in the league before 19/20

Ok, thanks
Scarlets before Wales
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

To me the idea of the other Super rugby teams joining is just being put out there for purposes of the current sanzar negotiations (so don't push it in a way we don't like or we may go north). They won't be joining us.

Yes, read that too. I don't have as definite opinion either way, as you on this. We'll see.
Scarlets before Wales
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:18pm

I think there is huge interest in the SA sides heading north, from all sorts of reasons.

Easier travel, without jet lag: More money in the market: Players recognising the salary differential between the northern hemisphere and the south.

Equally, EPC Rugby will see a chance to improve the money involved with their competition early next decade, once the newbies are established in our competition.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:40pm

Nope it’s genuine and very likely to happen
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:25pm
This two conference thing is totally stupid imo .it complicates everything up. Nobody much understands how it works.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic