Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Confirmed Wales side to face Italy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Halfpenny, North, Williams, Parkes, Evans, Patchell, G Davies, R Evans, Owens, Lee, Jones, Hill, Shingler, Cubby, Faleteau 
Subs: Dee, Smith, francis, S Davies, Tipuric, T Williams, Anscombe, L Williams

Im totally one eyed but all these are the form players imo and this 6 nations has been another travesty of lost opportunities. England are a mess of a side imo....Ireland are quality but nothing special especially in the backs but we choose to stand off them and choose a negative non attacking side with an injured flanker (biggar) playing at fly half.

But a spectacularly negative , in some cases totally out of their depth coaching team has destroyed our chances. The departure of howler and mcbryde cannot come quick enough 

Agree with most of your points Roy. I forgot about Seb Davies in my selection  - he looks well worth his chance - very athletic and good ball user. So much more could have been achieved if the coaching team had shown some clear thinking. I salute them for sticking with Steff as he always looks to make something happen. Some have criticised his ball retention but he always looks to create - his chips at speed behind retreating defenders has paid off handsomely for us and Wales. That skill at full speed is not easy. 

If only they had shown the same faith in Rhys. The team selection for Ireland showed them for the negative lot they are. No team in World rugby would look to out kick & chase Ireland with Sexton & Murray supreme. They didn't have to look far for the blueprint of how to negate their talents - last May in Dublin on two consecutive weekends to be precise. I too am well one-eyed but I challenge anyone to argue with that case. There is no doubt in my mind that the Leinster coaching set up are extremely wary of the threat that the Scarlets off loading attacking with width game brings. Even with a side missing our Internationals we have opened up Leinster on two weekends more easily than any they have played this season. They were seriously relieved to come away with the draw last Friday.

We may end up playing them in two very big stake games in the next few months. Our boys will not be in any way intimidated either by their team or the atmosphere. Respect them most definitely but no way fear them. 
Sponsored Links

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 4:30pm
Does anyone know how the extra £2million in prize money (which Wales will collect if we retain our 2nd place in the six nations table) will be allocated by our infinitely wise governing body. the gracious and generous WRU?
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 4:59pm
So it’s just me who’d like no Scarlets to be in the match day squad?
The Brain View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Brain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

So it’s just me who’d like no Scarlets to be in the match day squad?

No, in a wholly one-eyed selfish kind of way I'd like nothing more than a few of the Scarlet players to remain as far away from Howley and Gatland as possible.

Play some part in the Munster game, to break any newly aquired skills/habits picked up from the Team Wales camp and then get ready for the big one the week after.

If you cannot bite, never show your teeth.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Does anyone know how the extra £2million in prize money (which Wales will collect if we retain our 2nd place in the six nations table) will be allocated by our infinitely wise governing body. the gracious and generous WRU?

Develop a coaching team that has original ideas???
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Gatland has to decide what his overall game strategy is going to be not just for the French but generally. He got it badly wrong against Ireland. Our forwards seemed very passive. One thing I noticed yesterday was how the speed of the Italian ball increased when Cubby went off. His huge work at the breakdown isn't all about the glory turnovers its about how he slows down the opposition ball by competing hard. England are finding out that the breakdown is king & their selection in the back row is pretty nonsensical. Eddie has resorted to picking a 6 at 7, a 5 at 6 & is making the same mistakes that cost Lancaster his job. They say a week is along time in Politics. Eddie has the look and demeanour of a very worried man with no answers. 

In International rugby it should be a given that your front 5 are aggressive, smart and capable of winning their set piece. To play with quick ball the breakdown work has to be top quality and then you need a 10 who plays on the gainline with a range of passing skills. I cannot see any substitutes for Cubby at 7 & Rhys at 10. Navidi, for me, is the ideal bench cover as he can play 6,7 & 8. My Wales team for France would eb :-

15. Leigh 14. George 13. Watkin 12. Hadleigh 11. Steff 10. Rhys 9. Cawdor
1. Rob 2. Ken 3. Samson 4. AWJ 5. Bradley 6. Aaron 7. Cubby 8. Faletau

Bench 16. Dee 17. Smith 18. Francis 19. Hill 20. Navidi 21. Aled 22. Owen Williams 23. Liam

I like that team, however he won't be dropping Tipuric

I agree with you. Tipuric is a wonderful player but he isn't, in my opinion, as good at the breakdown as Cubby. In other aspects of play he and Cubby are very similar both possess great pace, footballing skill and eye for an opportunity. Another plus for Cubby is his familiarity with most of the team with running lines, offloading etc. 

I agree. Tipuric is the Anscombe of the pack. Very good player but over-rated. How many times was he at outside centre or wing yesterday. Even when there were nails and rucks he was nowhere to be seen. At the end of the day he was playing 6. Compare that to shingler’s workload . Totally chalk and cheese. Gatland will choose bigger and Anscombe and a back row of Shingler tipuric faletau and sub will be navidi or morriaty. Cubby will be nowhere to be seen. Tragedy
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 11:22am
If beat the frogs this weekend, finishing in second place , with an extra £2 million for welsh rugby and finishing above england, with 3 wins out of 5 and 2 narrow away defeat. Then this hopefully gives our umpteen scarlet intenationals a little confidence boost ahead of la Rochelle

Edited by roy munster - 13 March 2018 at 11:23am
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 12:18pm

If beat the frogs this weekend, finishing in second place , with an extra £2 million for welsh rugby and finishing above england, with 3 wins out of 5 and 2 narrow away defeat. Then this hopefully gives our umpteen scarlet intenationals a little confidence boost ahead of la Rochelle
i'm a bit worried how the players will cope taking a drop back in coaching standards after 6 weeks with howley.Wink
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
The Brain View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Brain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

i'm a bit worried how the players will cope taking a drop back in coaching standards after 6 weeks with howley.Wink

I imagine Parkes will be on the phone to Howley next week going "Rob, Rob, can you help me out? Bloody Pivac wants me to actually think for myself and use my gut instinct ffs.  What am I supposed to do without you Rob?"

As you say, how will our boys possibly cope with such a limited game plan such as ours?

IMO the best use for any additional money would be to pay off the current coaching setup as it's just not working as well as it should at the moment - No genuine progression, just basic conservative tactics.

If you cannot bite, never show your teeth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic