Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Converting Phil John to tighthead

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converting Phil John to tighthead
    Posted: 04 October 2004 at 1:09pm

I think we really should be considering this now. PJ really impressed me yesterday and he has definitely got the size and bulk to anchor the scrum.

Given the situation we find ourselves in this season at tighthead, I would hope that GJ is giving this serious consideration.

Sponsored Links

yedarts View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yedarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

I think we really should be considering this now. PJ really impressed me yesterday and he has definitely got the size and bulk to anchor the scrum.

Given the situation we find ourselves in this season at tighthead, I would hope that GJ is giving this serious consideration.

This definately seems worth a try. Best to play him in a few Premiership games at TH and see how he gets on. I noticed that a few weeks ago the Ospreys got Paul James to play a game for Swansea at TH. It's useful to have players who can play both sides of the scrum on the bench.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 2:19pm
You've got a good point there Mike. Phil John has never really played at Tight Head through out his career but looked quite at home in the number3 shirt! What also must be remembered that he was proping against an International loose head in Marcus Horan! Im still slightly bemussed how John Davies had a yellow card with only one prior warning. And Marcus Horan against Phil John had 2 warning's and still stayed on. Thinking back we could have won that game yesterday if Arwel had kicked his 2 conversions and Ga Bowz kicked that penalty.
missscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 4:04pm

[. Thinking back we could have won that game yesterday if Arwel had kicked his 2 conversions and Ga Bowz kicked that penalty.[/QUOTE]

But don't forget Munster missed a few kicks too.

Pedro Diniz View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Diniz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 4:08pm
Ye, I think Gwyn Jones, who hardly EVER gives us any credit was quite impressed with Phil's scrummaging at tight head. If the powers that be at the club decide to switch him to tight head, and give him some runs-out in the RFC side, then the competition for places will be great between Phil and Kevin Jones, who helped mash Newport's scrum on Saturday afternoon.
"I can't see the Germans getting back into this...they've only got Kuntz up front..."
(Alan Hansen, during Euro 96).
ScarletExile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletExile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 5:42pm
We could also try Finau on the loosehead!LOL
Born-and-Bred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Born-and-Bred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 5:51pm
The mighty Finau does 'lose his head' quite often, but i'm not sure a single figure on his shirt will suit him!
ScarletExile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletExile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 5:58pm

I don't know Born-and-Bred, Lawarence Delaney never had thighs that big!!

yedarts View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yedarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Born-and-Bred Born-and-Bred wrote:

The mighty Finau does 'lose his head' quite often, but i'm not sure a single figure on his shirt will suit him!

He's also been known loosen a few opponents heads...
bin laden View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
THE TROPHY CABINET IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin laden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 6:30pm
the more versatile we can make our forwards the better,so i  agree with mike (nooooooooooo)lets give phil a few games to see how he fairs.
Yes,I am back with a stewards view on things.

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by missscarlet missscarlet wrote:

[. Thinking back we could have won that game yesterday if Arwel had kicked his 2 conversions and Ga Bowz kicked that penalty.

[/QUOTE]

how many times has anyone in life let alone sport said,  'if only.....'

Edited by jarr
bin laden View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
THE TROPHY CABINET IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin laden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by jarr jarr wrote:

Originally posted by missscarlet missscarlet wrote:

[. Thinking back we could have won that game yesterday if Arwel had kicked his 2 conversions and Ga Bowz kicked that penalty.

how many times has anyone in like let alone sport said,  'if only.....'
[/QUOTE] getting deep now.
Yes,I am back with a stewards view on things.

s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Couldn`t agree more

I`ve got to sit down now, thats twice in a week

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 6:51pm
i'll ask his brother who works with me to see wot phil thinks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic