Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corona virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 217218219220221 305>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

It was payed my missus thinks it was just short of £400.

So it was taxed and NIC'd then !!!
yes.
Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 3:48pm

yes.

Well we need taxes to support our NHS. Makes perfect sense. 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

yes.

Well we need taxes to support our NHS. Makes perfect sense. 

One of the ironies of being paid from the public purse. When I was teaching, the tax deducted from my salary went towards paying my salary !
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

40% of NHS staff in intensive care report PTSD symptoms in a survey.

They are basically seeing war zone number deaths for nigh on a year now

Even front line soldiers won't get that level of exposure for that length of period

Must be horrendous time for them plus the constant worry of picking up the illness and passing it on to loved ones

They need to be rewarded finically and get all the support and after care to help them get through this eg free counselling etc

PTSD is a terrible illness my heart goes out to anyone who has it

A number of things come to my mind here.

1. At the moment front line staff want ALL members of the public to respect social distancing and not spread the virus. That should shorten the length of this pandemic and start to relieve the pressure on them.

2. During the first lockdown, Boris rejected a pay rise for some NHS staff, I think doctors were rewarded, but nurses weren't. (May be wrong there).

3. I'm sure that NHS staff and carers in the community would appreciate a pay rise, and I for one think that they deserve it. 

4. Re point 3., I think that what NHS staff and carers would appreciate even more, is an improvement in staffing levels. It has long been a complaint by them that they cannot give their patients the time and attention that they feel that patients need. Staff are too bogged down in bureaucracy and paperwork. I say this as someone who's grandfather worked at the old Bryntirion hospital looking after stroke victims in the 60/70's. Patients can't be rushed. Medication and physio etc, can aid with a patient's recovery, but along the way there can often be setbacks, two steps forward, one step back. When my mother was in her final years, her carers were given 20 minutes with her in the morning, to get her out of bed, washed and toileted, get her downstairs and fed. I am able bodied and usually take about 20 minutes to get ready in the morning. The cares wanted more time with my mother but could not give her more time.

5. Money needs to be invested therefore in recruitment and training of NHS staff and those who care in the community. This will ease the pressure on the staff, they will enjoy their job more, and will feel less stressed as they will feel that they are fully answering the needs of their patients, and not paying lip service to their patients.

Feel free to agree or disagree.
NHS staff were given pay rises after the first wave (including nurses), but not the other key workers and carers. These pay rises didn’t get them close to 2010 levels (inflation adjusted) but were something at least. The pay of most carers is set by the private care homes and not the government (I believe) but they certainly deserve a pay rise as well. Otherwise I agree wholeheartedly with everything else you’ve said.

Where did you get that from that nurses had a pay rise?
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Even front line soldiers won't get that level of exposure for that length of period

Must be horrendous time for them plus the constant worry of picking up the illness and passing it on to loved ones

They need to be rewarded finically and get all the support and after care to help them get through this eg free counselling etc

1. At the moment front line staff want ALL members of the public to respect social distancing and not spread the virus. That should shorten the length of this pandemic and start to relieve the pressure on them.

2. During the first lockdown, Boris rejected a pay rise for some NHS staff, I think doctors were rewarded, but nurses weren't. (May be wrong there).

3. I'm sure that NHS staff and carers in the community would appreciate a pay rise, and I for one think that they deserve it. 

4. Re point 3., I think that what NHS staff and carers would appreciate even more, is an improvement in staffing levels. It has long been a complaint by them that they cannot give their patients the time and attention that they feel that patients need. Staff are too bogged down in bureaucracy and paperwork. I say this as someone who's grandfather worked at the old Bryntirion hospital looking after stroke victims in the 60/70's. Patients can't be rushed. Medication and physio etc, can aid with a patient's recovery, but along the way there can often be setbacks, two steps forward, one step back. When my mother was in her final years, her carers were given 20 minutes with her in the morning, to get her out of bed, washed and toileted, get her downstairs and fed. I am able bodied and usually take about 20 minutes to get ready in the morning. The cares wanted more time with my mother but could not give her more time.

5. Money needs to be invested therefore in recruitment and training of NHS staff and those who care in the community. This will ease the pressure on the staff, they will enjoy their job more, and will feel less stressed as they will feel that they are fully answering the needs of their patients, and not paying lip service to their patients.

NHS staff were given pay rises after the first wave (including nurses), but not the other key workers and carers. These pay rises didn’t get them close to 2010 levels (inflation adjusted) but were something at least. The pay of most carers is set by the private care homes and not the government (I believe) but they certainly deserve a pay rise as well. Otherwise I agree wholeheartedly with everything else you’ve said.

It seems that nurses had agreed a pay rise already in 2018 and that therefore the extra post-pandemic NHS pay rise excluded them. I hadn’t realised that and thought that nurses were included in the post-pandemic rise. Sorry, I should’ve made it clearer in my post that I wasn’t a 100% sure.

Edited by Jones2004 - 13 January 2021 at 6:25pm
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 6:25pm

This year that is not last year. Meanwhile teachers had the biggest pay rise in 15 years even though parents were doing most of the teaching. 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 7:10pm

This year that is not last year. Meanwhile teachers had the biggest pay rise in 15 years even though parents were doing most of the teaching. 

How much did they get ? I know they'd been tied on approximately 1% for a number of years, so even 1.1% would be their biggest rise for a while.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 8:02pm

How much did they get ? I know they'd been tied on approximately 1% for a number of years, so even 1.1% would be their biggest rise for a while.

2.75%....
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:12am
One of my questions is now starting to be answered:

"Most people who have had Covid-19 are protected from catching it again for at least five months, a study led by Public Health England shows.

Past infection was linked to an 83% lower risk of getting the virus, compared with those who had never had Covid-19, scientists found.

But experts warn some people do catch Covid-19 again - and can infect others."

I can't find the original paper or dataset but they monitored 21,000 healthcare workers across the UK: "Of those who had no antibodies to the virus, suggesting they had never had it, 318 developed potential new infections within this timeframe, the tests indicated. But among the 6,614 with antibodies, this figure was just 44." 
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 2:05pm
Vaccinations?  Does anyone on here know how many covid jabs have done in Wales in the last 24 hrs.?  I can only find the cumulative total of appx.113,000 on the PHW dashboard.  I've got a feeling yesterday's figure was around 110,000 I may be wrong.  If I am right that's way short of what we need to reach the 700,000 required by mid February.  By my estimate we need to do 15,000 a day, seven days a week to get there, not a pathetic 3,000 a day. 🤔

Edited by greypower1 - 14 January 2021 at 2:06pm
Keep the faith
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Vaccinations?  Does anyone on here know how many covid jabs have done in Wales in the last 24 hrs.?  I can only find the cumulative total of appx.113,000 on the PHW dashboard.  I've got a feeling yesterday's figure was around 110,000 I may be wrong.  If I am right that's way short of what we need to reach the 700,000 required by mid February.  By my estimate we need to do 15,000 a day, seven days a week to get there, not a pathetic 3,000 a day. 🤔
It was around 90,000 two days ago and around a 100,000 yesterday so we’re currently vaccinating ~10,000 a day.
If anyone wants information on cases, deaths and vaccinations in Wales the coronavirus cymru website is pretty good.

Edited by Jones2004 - 14 January 2021 at 2:17pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 2:23pm
we need to be doing closer to 20,000 a day to  be on target

we need to get these centres working 24 hours a day ,  7 days a week

We need to using every single facility and resource we have

That doesn't appear to be the case right now I'm afraid

how many members of the military have been drafted in by the welsh govt?

how many retired drs  and nurses have been brought on board to help with the roll out

Drakeford and Gethin are lagging behind the rest of the uk in % terms on every single metric

Not good enough not good enough at all
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 2:34pm

we need to be doing closer to 20,000 a day to  be on target

we need to get these centres working 24 hours a day ,  7 days a week

We need to using every single facility and resource we have

That doesn't appear to be the case right now I'm afraid

how many members of the military have been drafted in by the welsh govt?

how many retired drs  and nurses have been brought on board to help with the roll out

Drakeford and Gethin are lagging behind the rest of the uk in % terms on every single metric

Not good enough not good enough at all

Frankly the Welsh response to a mass vaccination programme which they knew well in advance was coming has been worse than pathetic. Stories of red tape surrounding volunteers who have retired from the medical profession abound. In addition a GP from Llanelli wrote recently that supplies to his surgery were totally hit and miss and his surgery could vaccinate many many more if it wasn't for the supply issue. 

Please all fellow posters who advocate home rule for Wales remember this fiasco if & when the topic ever comes up again. 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 2:49pm
Looking on social media people moan whatever happens. If they were ahead of target there’d be cries of they’re rushing it and not doing it properly. This pandemic has brought out the good in people but also the cretinous worse in a lot more. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 3:00pm
my sousin said there were a lot of no shows in glangwili last weekend.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 3:03pm
I read wales is up to 112,000 But UK was at 3.07 million so Wales is a long way the other home nations, behind making up about 3.6% of all vaccinations when we make up 4.7% Of the UK populous. To hit the same pace as the UK average we should have done 144,000 by now.
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 217218219220221 305>
  Share Topic