Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  New Posts New Posts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


Corona virus

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 121>
Author
Message
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 11 August 2012
Location: Machynys
Status: Offline
Points: 13718
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

I will not listen to anything Trump says; he has already said so many untrue or misleading things that his words have zero credibility for me. I struggle to see how anyone can take anything he says seriously due to this. 
 

Don’t know much about him but the Mayor of New York comes over as a very plain speaking and socially minded / caring person- no wonder he’s no fan of Trump or vice versa
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 01 December 2014
Location: Rhydcymerau
Status: Offline
Points: 9908
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

I will not listen to anything Trump says; he has already said so many untrue or misleading things that his words have zero credibility for me. I struggle to see how anyone can take anything he says seriously due to this. 
 

Don’t know much about him but the Mayor of New York comes over as a very plain speaking and socially minded / caring person- no wonder he’s no fan of Trump or vice versa

Andrew Cuomo I think is the New York mayor who has called out Trump for his cavalier attitude towards the virus which he is now back tracking on it appears. Indeed Cuomo, a democrat, has been touted as the man who the Democrats will turn to to fight Trump at the next election. Apparently the front runner - Biden - is seen as not good enough to win due to his rather embarrassing inability to get his words out correctly!!!!!
Back to Top
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 30 August 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 13332
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 3:45pm
The news just gets worse every day. I totally agree with you about the tories their handling of the nhs is a disgrace. But we are where we are now, we know have to pull together all of us and somehow make the best of this horrific situation
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Back to Top
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 06 August 2005
Location: Swansea
Status: Online
Points: 11481
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

The news just gets worse every day. I totally agree with you about the tories their handling of the nhs is a disgrace. But we are where we are now, we know have to pull together all of us and somehow make the best of this horrific situation

I have just seen the news also. I think we're now in the toughest period for us, not making the previous weeks any less tragic, but from now on is when we need to be our strongest. In Wales, particularly west, there is the factor that we are even a couple of days behind the South East, London especially, as well. 
"We're thrown to the wolves in the minds of our enemies." - unknown philosopher.
Back to Top
Milli View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 24 November 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 3283
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 4:28pm
Herd Immunity by Stealth. Its Criminal
Back to Top
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 30 August 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 13332
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 5:04pm
I fear the Uk is the least prepared of all the major nations for this pandemic and a bunch of daily media updates wont cover up for the enormous shortages in our NHS
only 2000 nhs staff have been tested so far ? 
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 12318
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 5:11pm
 
 
I just read it's in south Africa now, have you ever been to sa guys? dear me if this virus into the shanty towns and townships the death toll will be carnage
 
people crammed on top of each other en masse, will be a disaster just hope this heat kills it theory is right
Back to Top
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 30 August 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 13332
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Milli Milli wrote:

Herd Immunity by Stealth. Its Criminal
Its horrific. About the only thing I can say in their favor is they did at least tell the old and vulnerable to stay home. But it appears their original masterplan involved herd immmunity and allowing the majority of rest of the population to catch it and eventually to become immune? Far easier to do that than to actually test and treat and protect nhs workers and ensure we have enough beds staff ventlllators. at least testing is said to be up to 10,000 per day now allegedly 

I must be naive I never in a million years thought they could be this frivolous,heartless and incompetent when dealing with millions of lives? Just need to pray these companies fast tracking equipment can deliver the goods to a satisfactory level and quanity.  




Edited by roy munster - 01 April 2020 at 5:15pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Back to Top
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 25 October 2004
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 15898
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

We have not invested in our public services at all (I would say that as an ex LA person) but we have not. Departments are down to bare bones ok in normal circumstances, but these are not. 

Who does the government of the day turn to to work all hours in extremely difficult conditions, without the correct equipment (PPE) public servants, it is a disgrace.

Another issue is that some government departments are still following processes such as tendering for equipment. Sod this agree a fair price and if they supply and try for more money....pay the agreed price and name & shame them.

This Catastrophe should be totally evaluated and OLD rules changed, who is working on the 3 temp hospitals in Carmarthenshire local companies with local employees spending their money locally, that is what we need. They are also well respected and good companies by the way.




agree with all that....Im amazed too there are not more suitable buildings other than selwyn samuel centre and the scarlets barn that can be used as hospitals in this emergency..especially as so many are empty for months..is ty elwyn being used? mynydd mawr? llandovery hospital? werndale private hospital ?  the social security building? the old cinema? ffwrnes theatre...tinopolis etc Theres a load of empty units in eastgate etc

Ive read today that the UK government is struggling to get enough testing kits but a few british firms are producing tens of thousands but selling them overseas...the government is now coming down heavy on these firms to supply to UK only. This isnt on the bbc news but daily mail etc The mail has infinitely more information on this crisis minute by minute

Meanwhile the welsh government remains invisible at this moment of crisis???

I did read the welsh government had been bidding against the UK government for testing kits. now we have a UK only approach to avoid this competition which simply pushes up prices and causes delays. The lack of clarity on what is england only or england and wales or UK only has been chaotic from day 1. Never been a huge fan of devolution, certainly not the way it is now. A bit of a hotch potch halfway house



Agree with much of what you say, but the last line seems a bit unfair...

Wales started testing medical staff a fortnight ago - England are only just getting to it now.

This comment is more speculative, but reading between the lines it sounds as if the WAG had an understanding with Roche to supply more testing kits (they say, in fact, that they have something on paper)... Roche deny there was a contract, so maybe it was a written understanding, not a contract... then along comes the Westminster govt. to bugger everything p by making a higher bid, maybe? This shambles sounds as if it was made in London, not Cardiff... and I don't see any evidence that the Tories are doing a good job of running anything at all, TBH.

By the way - do you think it is right for the government in Westminster to decree that HS2 is an 'England and Wales' project, thus confiscating £5 BILLION pounds from the Welsh budget? That'd pay for a good few doctors, nurses and hospitals!
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Back to Top
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 30 August 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 13332
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

We have not invested in our public services at all (I would say that as an ex LA person) but we have not. Departments are down to bare bones ok in normal circumstances, but these are not. 

Who does the government of the day turn to to work all hours in extremely difficult conditions, without the correct equipment (PPE) public servants, it is a disgrace.

Another issue is that some government departments are still following processes such as tendering for equipment. Sod this agree a fair price and if they supply and try for more money....pay the agreed price and name & shame them.

This Catastrophe should be totally evaluated and OLD rules changed, who is working on the 3 temp hospitals in Carmarthenshire local companies with local employees spending their money locally, that is what we need. They are also well respected and good companies by the way.




agree with all that....Im amazed too there are not more suitable buildings other than selwyn samuel centre and the scarlets barn that can be used as hospitals in this emergency..especially as so many are empty for months..is ty elwyn being used? mynydd mawr? llandovery hospital? werndale private hospital ?  the social security building? the old cinema? ffwrnes theatre...tinopolis etc Theres a load of empty units in eastgate etc

Ive read today that the UK government is struggling to get enough testing kits but a few british firms are producing tens of thousands but selling them overseas...the government is now coming down heavy on these firms to supply to UK only. This isnt on the bbc news but daily mail etc The mail has infinitely more information on this crisis minute by minute

Meanwhile the welsh government remains invisible at this moment of crisis???

I did read the welsh government had been bidding against the UK government for testing kits. now we have a UK only approach to avoid this competition which simply pushes up prices and causes delays. The lack of clarity on what is england only or england and wales or UK only has been chaotic from day 1. Never been a huge fan of devolution, certainly not the way it is now. A bit of a hotch potch halfway house



Agree with much of what you say, but the last line seems a bit unfair...

Wales started testing medical staff a fortnight ago - England are only just getting to it now.

This comment is more speculative, but reading between the lines it sounds as if the WAG had an understanding with Roche to supply more testing kits (they say, in fact, that they have something on paper)... Roche deny there was a contract, so maybe it was a written understanding, not a contract... then along comes the Westminster govt. to bugger everything p by making a higher bid, maybe? This shambles sounds as if it was made in London, not Cardiff... and I don't see any evidence that the Tories are doing a good job of running anything at all, TBH.

By the way - do you think it is right for the government in Westminster to decree that HS2 is an 'England and Wales' project, thus confiscating £5 BILLION pounds from the Welsh budget? That'd pay for a good few doctors, nurses and hospitals!

I just think that devolution in this instance was a madness as were all bidding against each other for life saving equipment and pushing the prices up too
as for hs2 the whole thing has been a shambles from day 1...do I think the uk should pay £106 billion to get from manchester birmingham to london 20 minutes quicker? erm no
should wales pay £5 billion towards it and get absolutely nothing? again no
Id cancel the entire project today
lets concentrate our energy and resources on saving lives
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Back to Top
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 31 August 2014
Location: Caerdydd
Status: Offline
Points: 6298
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 8:47pm
An even more senseless waste of money is the unpublished agreement between the US and the Tory leaders to upgrade the Trident "nuclear deterrent". It was not debated in the UK parliament or even announced in public, and over the lifetime of the weapon system will cost at least £210 billion. Still it would only have been squandered saving/improving lives if it had been spent to improve the NHS, education, housing or some other frivolous cause.   
Back to Top
totallybiasedscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 01 August 2014
Location: Llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 2322
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

We have not invested in our public services at all (I would say that as an ex LA person) but we have not. Departments are down to bare bones ok in normal circumstances, but these are not. 

Who does the government of the day turn to to work all hours in extremely difficult conditions, without the correct equipment (PPE) public servants, it is a disgrace.

Another issue is that some government departments are still following processes such as tendering for equipment. Sod this agree a fair price and if they supply and try for more money....pay the agreed price and name & shame them.

This Catastrophe should be totally evaluated and OLD rules changed, who is working on the 3 temp hospitals in Carmarthenshire local companies with local employees spending their money locally, that is what we need. They are also well respected and good companies by the way.




agree with all that....Im amazed too there are not more suitable buildings other than selwyn samuel centre and the scarlets barn that can be used as hospitals in this emergency..especially as so many are empty for months..is ty elwyn being used? mynydd mawr? llandovery hospital? werndale private hospital ?  the social security building? the old cinema? ffwrnes theatre...tinopolis etc Theres a load of empty units in eastgate etc

Ive read today that the UK government is struggling to get enough testing kits but a few british firms are producing tens of thousands but selling them overseas...the government is now coming down heavy on these firms to supply to UK only. This isnt on the bbc news but daily mail etc The mail has infinitely more information on this crisis minute by minute

Meanwhile the welsh government remains invisible at this moment of crisis???

I did read the welsh government had been bidding against the UK government for testing kits. now we have a UK only approach to avoid this competition which simply pushes up prices and causes delays. The lack of clarity on what is england only or england and wales or UK only has been chaotic from day 1. Never been a huge fan of devolution, certainly not the way it is now. A bit of a hotch potch halfway house



Agree with much of what you say, but the last line seems a bit unfair...

Wales started testing medical staff a fortnight ago - England are only just getting to it now.

This comment is more speculative, but reading between the lines it sounds as if the WAG had an understanding with Roche to supply more testing kits (they say, in fact, that they have something on paper)... Roche deny there was a contract, so maybe it was a written understanding, not a contract... then along comes the Westminster govt. to bugger everything p by making a higher bid, maybe? This shambles sounds as if it was made in London, not Cardiff... and I don't see any evidence that the Tories are doing a good job of running anything at all, TBH.

By the way - do you think it is right for the government in Westminster to decree that HS2 is an 'England and Wales' project, thus confiscating £5 BILLION pounds from the Welsh budget? That'd pay for a good few doctors, nurses and hospitals!

I just think that devolution in this instance was a madness as were all bidding against each other for life saving equipment and pushing the prices up too
as for hs2 the whole thing has been a shambles from day 1...do I think the uk should pay £106 billion to get from manchester birmingham to london 20 minutes quicker? erm no
should wales pay £5 billion towards it and get absolutely nothing? again no
Id cancel the entire project today
lets concentrate our energy and resources on saving lives

My understanding is that the Welsh govt were gazumped by Roche. I'm normally very critical of Labour's running of the Welsh govt but I think they've acquitted themselves reasonably well so far on Covid-19. Happy to be corrected by those who know better than me! That they appear quiet IMHO is more to do with the paucity of media coverage. What I do see of them seems fair. It doesn't help that the beeb dropped the morning Wales news bulletins. As is the case with much in Wales, our media is underdeveloped and I wonder if this is proving to be a problem in the current crisis?
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens
Back to Top
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 30 August 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 13332
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 2:16am
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Back to Top
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 06 August 2005
Location: Swansea
Status: Online
Points: 11481
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 8:02am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

 
 
I just read it's in south Africa now, have you ever been to sa guys? dear me if this virus into the shanty towns and townships the death toll will be carnage
 
people crammed on top of each other en masse, will be a disaster just hope this heat kills it theory is right

Again, just being blunt: median age of SA is 27.6 years compared to UKs at 40+, will that make a difference? The median age is 21 for black South Africans as well, who would represent the majority in those shanty towns yes? A factor going the other way is I believe smoking is far more common in South Africa than the UK but I don't know about rates of underlying health conditions. But yes, poverty is going to be the biggest aspect in this. Are they under lockdown? Is that even possible in those types of towns?
"We're thrown to the wolves in the minds of our enemies." - unknown philosopher.
Back to Top
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 25 October 2004
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 15898
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 11:04am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/uk-discussed-joint-eu-plan-to-buy-covid-19-medical-supplies-say-officials

Yet another example of incompetence by the UK government.

Now, I understand some of you saying you'd prefer to be without a WAG - but that only makes sense to me if the UK government was clearly run more efficiently and provided Wales with better services.

As far as I can see, the Westminster government has been a bit of a disaster for a long time - for the NHS, certainly since the Tories took over, and for other matters even longer than that. Is the WAG more competent? Who knows - but they can hardly be worse. It would be a very complex debate, TBH, so it comes down to: "Do you trust the UK government to treat Wales more fairly, without an Assembly?" IMHO, the answer is clearly 'no', and the way they replace - or more likely, don't replace - funds coming to Wales from the EU will be important evidence one way or the other.

The other point here - is it fair for the Welsh taxpayer to stump up for HS2, and for Trident come to that?

However - having made those points, I'm more than happy to leave this discussion until after we get through the coronavirus disaster - hoping that we all do! From here on, I'll only comment on how well, or badly, the authorities are dealing with the crisis... 'unless provoked', maybe!


I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 12318
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 11:19am
trident is a difficult one , no nation with a nuke will ever be invaded but no one is likely to invade us anyway ditch that put that into  conventional forces   the nhs and care budget it's  a game changer
 
 a pal of mine is a nurse in the royal Glamorgan they are using paper masks, some nurses have no masks
 
like sending an army to war with no guns, disgraceful
 
all our  drs and nurses deserve a medal for this
 
As for the WA idea is fine in principle, it is just staffed and run by second raters who cannot run an economy , who in that set up has ever been a successful business man or held any position of power outside of politics? jobs for the boys and girls lot if I ever saw it
 
 
the calibre of wa cabinet members is not of sufficient quality to secure wales future until that changes I won't be in favour of any extra powers for the likes of drakeford
 
It's also incredibly Cardiff centric to the detriment of the rest of wales


Edited by RR1972 - 02 April 2020 at 11:24am
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 121>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.141 seconds.