Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > Six Nations 2011
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCould Biggar cost Gats his job ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Could Biggar cost Gats his job ?
    Posted: 06 February 2011 at 12:24pm
Back in the Autumn, when Biggar was perceived to be above Priestland in the pecking order, Biggar should have played {started the match} against South Africa after Wellies horror show in the first match against Australia, because Biggar wasnt given a fair crack of the whip at the time Wales are now in the position they find themselves in, with a rubbish outside half {currently, what Stevo achieved as a younger man means nothing in this debate} and no reserve outside half , if Biggar had been given his chance in the Autumn, he may have been upto being first choice, he may have been upto being first reserve, he may have failed and then rightly Wales should then have looked to Priestland to being their next outside half or reserve outside half but Gats never gave Biggar a look in, during the Fiji half match that Biggar played in, it was move of a personality clash with the management than anything to do with his performance, whether Biggar was given percific instructions and ignored them nobody knows because he played a standard structured game, he kicked in his own half and passed when in the opposition half, nothing to the untrained eye to warrent being dropped, infact he was very solid in a poor team effort.

The treatment of Biggar means that Gats etiher plays next to hopeless Stephen Jones {talking about this stage of his career} in the most important position on the rugby field, or plays a player that has effectively not played the role for a few years [Hook] or plays a Scarlet reserve outside half, when all along he failed to play Biggar who out performed Stephen Jones head to head for the Ospreys both times against the Scarlets this season, with Jones being viewed a better outside half than Priestland by his club and Biggar is viewed as a better outside half than Hook by his club, therefore it was criminal of Gatland not to give Biggar a chance when Biggar merited it in the Autumn, he has for now ruined Biggar and Gats has left himself without many good options {at this point in time}, to play the pivotal and vital outside half role for Wales, therefore I wonder if it could cost Gats his job ?
Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 12:38pm
Biggar has had chances. He plays 10 for his region and is currently not in good form. I think he's missing consistency from his game which is something Stephen does have (and yes, yes I know you want to say "consistently crap" or something and you're very funny). Currently, I don't think he is the third best choice for 10 in wales and so is not in the squad. How is that Gatland's fault how a guy is playing with his region?

You're right in the sense that very few alternatives have been developed under Gatland's regime. Hook doesn't play 10 for the Ospreys (so isn't it their fault then? Wink), Tovey, who I notice is very highly rated on ScumV, hasn't had any chances.

Gatland is a conservative coach who has his favourites. Combine that with what the welsh media and public do to any new blood who has a poor game and then you get in the situation we're in currently. That is, throughout the team we have poor strength in depth and out of form players will get picked no matter what.

For what it's worth, I think you give Stephen a very bad press and I look at a site like ScumV where they've been [beep]ging off the guy for many years now and I know that those people will speak more favourably of him when he's gone, and the guy who's replaced him cannot do the stuff Stevo does well. For example, did I see any credit for the pass that created the try? If Hook had done that he'd have been touted as a natural 10 and Wales' future. Kicking at goal is an issue, I accept that and have my own concerns at times.

Maybe you should read my views on "why does wales have such a blame culture".
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 12:52pm
Where is the blame culture thread ?, on here or on ScumV ?

I dont think Wales has a blame culture hence Wellies, Nugget and Ickle with hundreds of caps between them, England has a blame culture just read their press, Wales allow players to go on too long because they were once good , I accept we are a small nation and dont have strength in depth and therefore our players would tend to be picked more passed their best than some other countries. 
You watch the abuse fly for me suggesting that Wellies and Ickle should be dropped, you have seen it on ScumV probably, so how come there is a blame culture in Wales, Wellies has been having a bad game for Wales all the time recently, England and Australia standout as recent poor poor performances by him.
RedZep View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedZep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 1:01pm
Dan Biggar HAD his chance in the autumn.

He played sh!t.

He was dropped.

What's to debate ??
'' Know your three R's, son..... Rugby, Rock and Ridin'!! ''
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 1:06pm
On here in general rugby. Mrfwon's post on page 2 is spot on.

Now I have rugby to watch. Goodbye.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 1:45pm
Rhys hasn't played a game at this level yet. For all we know he may suffer the same fate. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Rhys hasn't played a game at this level yet. For all we know he may suffer the same fate. 

Yup. And if he becomes the next scapegoat I blame Gatland! Evil Smile
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 1:54pm
Wales number 10. The most traumatic position to play for. When you're good you're good, when you're bad, all the problems in Welsh rugby are blamed on you. I hope Rhys is strong enough to cope with what comes with this position.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 2:01pm
The worst possible thing to do would be to also give him the kicking duties.* I think it would end his international career when he had that bad game kicking at goal (because we know it would happen sooner or later). It took ages for certain Scarlets fans to forgive him so I wouldn't fancy his chances with Wales.

Hook or Ha'penny would be required.

*at this moment in time. Players can improve. Shocked

Edited by dr_martinov - 06 February 2011 at 2:04pm
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 2:28pm
TRAMPIE IS A TROLL - time for a ban please....
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 4:09pm
Im no troll, ive never been banned from any site, its just an observation that Gatland's failing to give Biggar much of a go in the Autumn internationals could cost him his job.
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 4:31pm
Funny that almost all of the pundits after Friday's game, including former international outside halves Jonathan Davies and Phil Bennett, pointed out that whilst Hook is an exciting player, Stephen is able to control a game far better which is so important at this level.

The same is true for Biggar as for Hook but with far less talent.

It is just so lazy and ill-informed to say that just because Stephen Jones doesn't do the breaks etc, he shouldn't be there. He's the cool head which is needed. What Wales lacked was a creative centre and the problem was not at outside half. Gatland has the problem of fitting three inside centres into the backline and he must understand that if some players aren't good enough for the starting line up in their own position, they don't have to play in someone else's position.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by trampie trampie wrote:

Im no troll, ive never been banned from any site, its just an observation that Gatland's failing to give Biggar much of a go in the Autumn internationals could cost him his job.

Right..... you start two simultaneous thread on essentially the same topic, one of which is a repetition of a thread you started on another forum. Oh, and you attempt to resurrect a dead thread (Nov 2010 was the last post) you started ages ago. In all of these, you make no real attempt to actually engage in conversation with people's responses to your own forthright views.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

Funny that almost all of the pundits after Friday's game, including former international outside halves Jonathan Davies and Phil Bennett, pointed out that whilst Hook is an exciting player, Stephen is able to control a game far better which is so important at this level.

It is just so lazy and ill-informed to say that just because Stephen Jones doesn't do the breaks etc, he shouldn't be there. He's the cool head which is needed. What Wales lacked was a creative centre and the problem was not at outside half. Gatland has the problem of fitting three inside centres into the backline and he must understand that if some players aren't good enough for the starting line up in their own position, they don't have to play in someone else's position.

Are you claiming that Scarlet legends Phil Bennett and Jonathan Davies are supporting another Scarlet legend in Stephen Jones, interesting very interesting.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Right..... you start two simultaneous thread on essentially the same topic, one of which is a repetition of a thread you started on another forum. Oh, and you attempt to resurrect a dead thread (Nov 2010 was the last post) you started ages ago. In all of these, you make no real attempt to actually engage in conversation with people's responses to your own forthright views.
Thats because the Six Nations has just started, the debate needs to be started again, as Wales are still losing.
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 5:10pm

Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

Are you claiming that Scarlet legends Phil Bennett and Jonathan Davies are supporting another Scarlet legend in Stephen Jones, interesting very interesting.

Oh, grow up. What an infantile comment that does not deserve an answer.

Debate a point by all means but don't be such a fool.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic