Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cubby Cited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 1:15pm
We're doing exactly the right stuff here: Condemning the action, apologising (including Cubby to the ref after the game)  and holding our own disciplinary proceedings. These actions will help Cubby's case.
We're still still here!
Sponsored Links

diego6754 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

We're doing exactly the right stuff here: Condemning the action, apologising (including Cubby to the ref after the game)  and holding our own disciplinary proceedings. These actions will help Cubby's case.

Spot on
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 1:24pm
I think the idea is to put the fear of God into him on this akin to the ultimate option for any offence. He obviously won't be sacked but fined.

Also we really have to stop conflating player on player issues with Player and referee issues as they are two separate strains. Ref abuse is at the top of the scale. I would not fancy being James going into training this weekas. He will be feeling so bad/ guilty although I suspect he will be told to stay away for a couple of days. 

He won't play Sunday in any event as the club has to show it respects the referee process. No excuses and little point in debating the indefensible. Let's hope his good conduct and immediate apologies will earm him maximum remission in mitigation but he will be banned. 

Huge games will be missed and Scarlets on the front page for the wrong reasons. Ridiculous but James will learn from it.He is a decent lad and Scarlets know this.

Edited by reesytheexile - 13 December 2016 at 1:26pm
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 1:30pm
Of course if it was a player from another club people would be defending him too.
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I think the idea is to put the fear of God into him on this akin to the ultimate option for any offence. He obviously won't be sacked but fined.

Also we really have to stop conflating player on player issues with Player and referee issues as they are two separate strains. Ref abuse is at the top of the scale. I would not fancy being James going into training this weekas. He will be feeling so bad/ guilty although I suspect he will be told to stay away for a couple of days. 

He won't play Sunday in any event as the club has to show it respects the referee process. No excuses and little point in debating the indefensible. Let's hope his good conduct and immediate apologies will earm him maximum remission in mitigation but he will be banned. 

Huge games will be missed and Scarlets on the front page for the wrong reasons. Ridiculous but James will learn from it.He is a decent lad and Scarlets know this.
Sorry mate, I can't see how gesticulating, however bad it is in a particular context, is in the same ball park as gouging or biting.

I'm all for making an example of him, as Wasp says, make the right noises etc and then follow through with it also. He deserves to have the book thrown at him. But he hasn't assaulted a referee here, so talk of dismissal is somewhat disproportionate imo
#George
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
SF's only officially endorsed pollster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 1:52pm
I'm very uncomfortable with throwing cubby under the bus with no context or support regardless of whether it's at attempt to minimise a ban.

Where's the harm in saying he was frustrated but wrong in the way he vented his frustration and both the club and player realise this and he has been reminded of his responsibilities, and then reiterated that this is a player with an excellent disciplinary record who's represented both Wales and Britain impeccably who'll learn from his mistake.

He did one daft thing out of frustration and we're mentioning sanctions like dismissal ffs.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 1:59pm
It's a disciplinary policy. They all have the same ultimate outcome of dismissal.

I don't want to get into the rugby v football respect level debate but I do fully believe we should be seen to be holding onto Rugby's perceived values of respect for the officials. The club should discipline Cubby with whatever is in line with its policy, and be seen to do so.

I would imagine a formal warning of some sort and at least one game suspension.  

Trying to justify ignoring abusing the ref because the ref wasn't very good or another player got away with something is a pretty immature attitude really.
We're still still here!
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 2:10pm
Lets be fair he should not have done it. I like the fact that he apologised to the ref straight away and also during the game. We must hold an enquiry, and we should impose a ban so it shows that we take the incident seriously.

I hope it will be taken as a mid range so that he will only get around 6-8 weeks, and a possible hefty fine to charity.

The last thing is we get rugby turning into soccer, with all the childish incidents.

As far as Cubby is concerned I really hope we do not sack him, we need him, and I also think he has had the fright of his life, and really feels an idiot, and genuinely is remorseful.

I hope everyone in power sees it that way.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 2:11pm
Pivac has stated that all players are aware of their responsibility to the Scarlet brand - it is in their contracts. When pushed he quoted the contract i.e. the ultimate sanction is dismissal. I would be flabbergasted if Cubby gets more than a playing ban & a fine from the club.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 2:16pm
I agree GPR, and sincerely hope you are right, but we live in a strange world
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Hendre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 2:25pm
No excuse for that behaviour and no justification under any circumstances. He will have to take his punishment and hopefully learn from it. As for anyone on here trying to excuse it perhaps you need to go and watch some football!
You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Zig Ziglar
Havard Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Havard Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 2:32pm
Bit shocked and disheartened by some of the comments on here to be honest. As soon as I saw the hand gesture I knew he was in trouble and rightly so. He's a professional sportsman and that behaviour had no place on the field. I agree though, it's not in the same context as gouging or biting, however bringing the game and club into disrepute is serious. You see it now coming through the game where kids are already shouting and swearing at ref in kids rugby and needs to be stamped out. Cubby is a role model and it's safe to say from the media conference that he is clearly aware he has messed up.

Also, as commented on earlier, the dismissal comment from Pivac was a result of him being asked if dismissal is an option. Which it is as it's probably a breach of contract. Cubby has previous for choosing though, didn't he swear at Ben Whitehouse out in Ulster?

I'm hoping for a two week ban and undisclosed fine from the club, to add to his already public apology.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 2:32pm
Joe marler stamps on a head gets 2 weeks cubby does this and dismissal is spoken of? Where in the actual [beep] is the logic here? Match ban and fine would be more than enough surely?
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Spot on

That is exactly what is happening. Cubby will have 4-6 weeks.
Havard Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Havard Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Joe marler stamps on a head gets 2 weeks cubby does this and dismissal is spoken of? Where in the actual [beep] is the logic here? Match ban and fine would be more than enough surely?

The dismissal was only spoken of when Pivac was asked "Is dismissal an option?" He is not going to say no when it IS an option, however unlikely it may be. This also goes a long way to highlight that the club are taking it seriously.

Edited by Havard Fan - 13 December 2016 at 2:51pm
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 2:51pm
This is Political Correctness gone mad. The Lunatics are well and truly taking over the asylum here if Cubby gets more than a one match ban and a hefty fine.

I've seen acts of pure and utter thuggery and acts of violence which were it not for the fact that they took place on a sports field would have resulted in minor custodial sentences be totally ignored and now this?

I'm not condoning it, it was stupid and yes he is an "Olympian and a role model" but for crying out loud he allowed his frustration with what was a culpably poor performance at refereeing get in his way.

Before the High and Mighty brigade have a go at me - it was wrong, he was stupid and he shouldn't have done it and yes he should be punished but a citing and a disciplinary hearing ffs when other actually more serious acts of violence on the same pitch escape with nothing?

I know very well personally an official who has worked as a citing office and a TMO for Internationals and all one would say was......."he was a little surprised this course of action was being followed" (translated means "f**king ridiculous").

A good talking to, a hefty fine and a one match ban for being seen to be such an idiot and bringing the game into disrepute and nothing more. Anything more and that would be ridiculous.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic