Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cubby Debut

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 10:35pm
A debut to be proud of that's for sure.  I thought the back three forwards played exceptionally well and provided much needed impetus for the 20 minutes we were down to 14 men.  The three of them were excellent in taking the game to Italy during that period in particular and a less mobile back three  might have struggled,

Foxy is a class act and his interview which focused on his brother's debut was a joy to listen to.  I really hope the two of them get a chance to play together for Wales at some point. 
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by cat cat wrote:

I thought cubby played quite well, tackled like a trooper, turned over ball once and was close a few other times, tried to link up as well.
But overall it was a pretty poor display from the team, liam needs to reign it in sometimes and could have been red carded for the tackle on the italian, cawdor had a deserved yellow for a stupid flap at the ball.
20 mins of the second half we played with 14 men, unacceptable in my opinion, discipline is key at international level, you're not going to get away with anything nowadays (unless you tug a player back after a charge down, ridiculous the ref missed that)
I was more impressed with north he's looking very strong and sharp at the moment.
Parkes was the deserved man of the match, he had a solid all round game.

Spot on. Cubby was not fantastic, but he was pretty good

He tackled well, had a pick on 2' and ran well

But he did get knocked off the ball more than we are used to seeing at PYS and gave away a needless penalty

A stronger set of forwards would have helped him no doubt. and this was his first cap, hoepfully he gets a few more before Gats decides to take or not take him to RWC2019

Well done Cubby!
Scarlets before Wales
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:41am
I thought he had an ok game but nowhere near MOM. Thought Hadleigh pipped George. I would love to see  a back row of Shingler, Faletau & Cubby for France but can't see it happening.

What is pretty clear after that performance is that Anscombe is not the answer at 10 - Patchell is; Liam is no longer first choice in our back 3 - he is a shadow of the player he was for the Scarlets. His attempted tackle on their 15 was pathetic. A word for Owen Watkin - he has long been destined for top honours and he looked the part yesterday. 
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Bringing Cubby off at 65mins on his 1st cap was a bit of a kick in the teeth. He won more breakdowns in 65mins than Navidi did all season.

Cubby was (understandably) starting to blow a bit, I saw him taking a knee a few times in the minutes leading up to his replacement. International game pace even against the Italians is a huge step up from Regional/7's pace.
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 2:01pm
I did chuckle at one point when Cubby was trying a jackle and the ref was shouting "Leave it!". I could clearly hear Steff, who was guarding the blind side, shouting "Cubby out! Cubby out!" and only then did Cubby let go. LOL
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I thought he had an ok game but nowhere near MOM. Thought Hadleigh pipped George. I would love to see  a back row of Shingler, Faletau & Cubby for France but can't see it happening.

What is pretty clear after that performance is that Anscombe is not the answer at 10 - Patchell is; Liam is no longer first choice in our back 3 - he is a shadow of the player he was for the Scarlets. His attempted tackle on their 15 was pathetic. A word for Owen Watkin - he has long been destined for top honours and he looked the part yesterday. 

Good post. I thought he was betetr than ok though. top tackler made some yards , slowedd ball and a crucial turnover. 

Patchell is miles ahead as the best attacking fly half

Watkin always liked him and its possible he may get another go next week, he may be the future
Liam had a stinker, masses of ability but the missed tackle and stupid yellow card were just some of the lowlights. Hes always had discipline problems

Steff hot and cold but Id persevere with him. 5 tries in 9 tests lots of good and bad points. Needs to simply maintain possession better. 

PLEASE NO BIGGAR NEXT WEEKEND WHATS THE POINT?

Wales should have blooded a load of these boys 2 years ago. Gats and co have arrested our development.
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Captain View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 2:55pm
Cubby played a different role to what he does for us. He may have had 7 on his back,. but I felt he was deployed more as a 6. Tackle everything in his path, and be a bloody pain in the backside. He did that in spades.

I would have brought on Jenkins for tips, who I felt was ineffective until game broke up, but I know Gatland saw this differently, and I expect will start at 7 next week.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 3:06pm
Cubby was excellent, what a 7 is all about, tackle support and pain in the so and so for the oppositions ball speed. but he will not get the rub of the green with the present management. bench at best next week I fear.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 3:16pm
Can't see Cubby getting in the 23 I'm afraid. What England would pay to have Aaron & Cubby available for them or indeed Thomas Young, Ollie Griffiths & Ellis Jenkins. 
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 3:40pm
Let's put that try down to great foot-work by the Italian full back rather than a missed tackle by Liam
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

Let's put that try down to great foot-work by the Italian full back rather than a missed tackle by Liam

You put it down to what you want Rich I'll call it for what I saw and it was woeful defending from your FB. Lets face it for all his magical ability going forward & bravery in the air good tackling has never been one of Liam's strongest features. His ill discipline is also becoming a liability. Our piece of business in getting Leigh as his replacement is looking better by the game. 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 4:08pm

You put it down to what you want Rich I'll call it for what I saw and it was woeful defending from your FB. Lets face it for all his magical ability going forward & bravery in the air good tackling has never been one of Liam's strongest features. His ill discipline is also becoming a liability. Our piece of business in getting Leigh as his replacement is looking better by the game. 

Sadly I'd have to agree there. Cast your mind back to last season's final, he missed a tackle for Munster's second try. Had he slowed up the Munster player, Foxy may have saved a try but Liam was left flailing and thumping the ground as the Munster player scored.

In the first half he missed Saili. I think Nigel was playing advantage to Munster when Bleyandaal put in a cross kick which Saili tried to take out wide. Liam missed him and then Saili knocked on. Immaterial I know, but the fact still stands that Liam missed him.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 10:46am
Really good analysis of Cubby's game by Ben James here:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/forensic-examination-james-davies-wales-14399659

cubby-analysis
Joshua24:15
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 10:55pm
He more than showed he belonged at that level. If he has as many caps as elis jenkins to show what he can do he will become a regular in the 23.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Sadly I'd have to agree there. Cast your mind back to last season's final, he missed a tackle for Munster's second try. Had he slowed up the Munster player, Foxy may have saved a try but Liam was left flailing and thumping the ground as the Munster player scored.

In the first half he missed Saili. I think Nigel was playing advantage to Munster when Bleyandaal put in a cross kick which Saili tried to take out wide. Liam missed him and then Saili knocked on. Immaterial I know, but the fact still stands that Liam missed him.

Sanjay was the beirne of the backs when he had the ball he had you on edge wondering what he could do, he always gained yards for us and was a major catalyst for out try scoring opportunities let's not forget what he did for us when he was here. I'd have him back anyday
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 1:09pm

tbh liam was poor last week and that attempted  tackle was useless , he was also  poor at f/b vs japan lwhen he played 15 the previous autumn as well

I really rate him but he is lucky to be in the team after his last two games for wales, not sure the guy is fully fit if I'm honest, he could do with the summer off

As for cubby quality player, he showed his good points  great hands, tops at the breakdown but also his downpoint that daft penalty didn't help his cause.

Wales have a lot of good sevens, he will get another chance in the summer I still think he can be a big force for wales

Edited by RR1972 - 15 March 2018 at 1:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic