Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cubby update?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

Originally posted by NeylandAllBlack NeylandAllBlack wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

better 7 than tipuric when fully fit and on form

Absolute rubbish.

Cubby is clearly a lot better out wide. More pace, better hands, better runner. 

Statistically he also wins more turnovers.

the only place tips wins is probably his tackling percentage. 

Perhaps he offers more from ruck to ruck but its hard to gauge.

Tipuric is a better tackler and is one of the most consistent players around. I would like to see a race between them they are both very quick. Cubby was a turnover machine and when he played with Barclay their partnership was world class. I would say Macleod is ahead of Cubby now from what we have seen this season. 

Well thats not difficult for Josh as Cubby hasn't played!!!! Trying to compare Tipuric & Cubby is very very difficult. Both are marvelous players in the wide channels with pace and hands worthy of a no 13. Cubby in his pomp which alas is 18-24 months ago was the best 7 over the ball in Europe. Tips for all his wonderful talent is not a turnover machine. Ask Tips to do anything ( apart from front row) & he would make a decent fist of it. If there is a better all round rugby player in World Rugby I have yet to see him. Cubby needs to get & stay fit to regain anywhere near his previous very high status. 
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 2:27pm

Absolute rubbish.

the only place tips wins is probably his tackling percentage.    Cub

cubby better at breakdown tupric better tackler and better in line out, i think cubby has edge in pace while tupric has the better hands. He proably has the best handling skills of all the welsh players. Two very good players but tupric has done a lot more at test level. Although he has also been given far more test chances than cubby
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Absolute rubbish.

the only place tips wins is probably his tackling percentage.    Cub

cubby better at breakdown tupric better tackler and better in line out, i think cubby has edge in pace while tupric has the better hands. He proably has the best handling skills of all the welsh players. Two very good players but tupric has done a lot more at test level. Although he has also been given far more test chances than cubby

Pretty fair summation. Both wonderful talents. Best compliment I could make for both of them is that they would have played better at 13 in both games so far than the selected players. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 3:15pm
Both Tips and Cubby are top class players, with slightly differing, though overlapping, skill sets. Tips is ahead for many reasons: he got into regional and test rugby at a younger age, and has had fewer injury-related interruptions to his career. 

On the basis of his greater experience and the fact that he is actually fit and has been Wales's best player (arguably) in both tests so far this 6N, you would have to pick him before Cubby ATM. If it ever happened that Tips got hurt (I hope he doesn't - this is a hypothetical situation), then Cubby would still need to prove that he was back to his best before getting picked before other candidates.

We all know Faletau is world class; we can also see that he's not quite 'there' yet physically, based on the two tests so far. Cubby would need to be even more convincing, as he doesn't have the credit in the bank in terms of test experience.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 4:06pm

Absolute rubbish.

the only place tips wins is probably his tackling percentage. 

Lineout option too. But no, Tips is better.
Scarlets before Wales
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 5:23pm
cubby is injured far too often to seriously push for a wales place.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 5:28pm
Tips was always behind warburton in the welsh set up and people have only realised how good he is now warburton has gone and he is starting regularly

I firmly believe if cubby had got the chance 2/3  years ago when he was at his peak he would have been a real star for wales

he has been injury hit for the last 18 months or and his form his dipped and naividi has come into the test reckoning as well

Given the competition between tips, naividi, and a soon to be  fit ellis Jenkins , cubby will have his work cut out to secure that welsh 7 jersey and it would not surprise me if he does not get any more caps

A shame such a talented player has not had more starts for wales

Edited by RR1972 - 10 February 2020 at 5:28pm
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Tips was always behind warburton in the welsh set up and people have only realised how good he is now warburton has gone and he is starting regularly

I firmly believe if cubby had got the chance 2/3  years ago when he was at his peak he would have been a real star for wales

he has been injury hit for the last 18 months or and his form his dipped and naividi has come into the test reckoning as well

Given the competition between tips, naividi, and a soon to be  fit ellis Jenkins , cubby will have his work cut out to secure that welsh 7 jersey and it would not surprise me if he does not get any more caps

A shame such a talented player has not had more starts for wales
I agree RR . Cubby was a starting regular but then injuries started to come up. He is not a naturally big and powerful guy and perhaps the wear and tear has caught up with him earlier than expected. However I hope he can play on and at least represent the Scarlets well for some years to come 
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 6:38am
Be great to have him back. We have a heavy pack, but only Macloed stands out as a genuine nuisance over the ball and a first arriver at the breakdown. Cubby's even better than Macloed in that facet.

We really need to win the Edinburgh game.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Be great to have him back. We have a heavy pack, but only Macloed stands out as a genuine nuisance over the ball and a first arriver at the breakdown. Cubby's even better than Macloed in that facet.

We really need to win the Edinburgh game.

the forwards will need to turn it on in that game.
Cockerill has a system to beat us and does it well. smashes the pack. or that has definitely been the case in away fixtures.
Its certainly going to be a big game in the grand scheme of things this season.
But fact of the matter is...home game...win, end of! no matter how, just win. we have never been the best after a few weeks off so this is certainly a game that will be very tough.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 8:48am
The match Italy-Scotland will be a favourite case for us to meet Edinburgh this week. Lets see who Townsend releases for the clash, but I m positive about an our win
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 9:55am
Personally, I doubt that Townsend will release anyone - Scottish fans are fearing the worse with a loss out there.  I can’t see him letting anyone go . We’ve got a squad good enough to beat Edinburgh.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 12:12pm
Blade was not in the original squad, was he called up later ?
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

I don't think he's in their squad... did you misread something, or have I missed some news? The main comments are to the effect that he's been out for a long time with concussion-related issues.

Now, Patchell is still out because of the same thing, and Halfpenny was out for half a season after that 'gentle tap' he took off that Aussie... but he's back to his best.

It would be fantastic for the Scarlets - and even more so, for the players - if those two come back soon fit and firing. In reality, I don't know where they stand ATM. Let's hope for the best. 
(Ivan Turgenev)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I don't think he's in their squad... did you misread something, or have I missed some news? The main comments are to the effect that he's been out for a long time with concussion-related issues.

Now, Patchell is still out because of the same thing, and Halfpenny was out for half a season after that 'gentle tap' he took off that Aussie... but he's back to his best.

It would be fantastic for the Scarlets - and even more so, for the players - if those two come back soon fit and firing. In reality, I don't know where they stand ATM. Let's hope for the best. 

Aber you are spot on with regards to Blade - never in Scottish squad and carrying another head injury. Patchell though is over his head knock - as far as I am aware he had an op on his shoulder post Japan and is predicted to be back during March. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Aber you are spot on with regards to Blade - never in Scottish squad and carrying another head injury. Patchell though is over his head knock - as far as I am aware he had an op on his shoulder post Japan and is predicted to be back during March. 

Yes, I forgot - Patch over the head problem, then got a shoulder. We look froward to seeing him soon!
(Ivan Turgenev)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic