Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cubby update?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 1:45pm
BRegardingBlade & Scotland.

Blade & Scotland

I may well have misread Stradeyscarlet72, he said that he felt Townsend would not release anyone, and as he was talking about the Edinburgh game put 2+2 and it's anyone's guess what the answer is/was.

Sorry if I've confused anyone. 
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links

stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 1:53pm
Sorry if I caused confusion - my point was that I doubt that Townsend will release players back to Edinburgh as Scotland has a must win match v Italy and he can’t afford to let players go - in my opinion. Re blade - because of his concussion issues previously and that he’s suffering at present , that’s why he wasn’t selected for the six nations squad as Townsend would have selected him and clearly has concern for blade . 
Phew 😜😜
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 8:06pm
Patchell will be back for the Dragons game at the end of March, Blade will have to take as long as he needs
We're still still here!
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Patchell will be back for the Dragons game at the end of March, Blade will have to take as long as he needs
when is blade's contract up?we have had precious little return on our investment and would suggest we look deeper into future signings injury records given that he had a lay off with head problems before.same with cubby ,foxy and patchell the last 3 years have been plagued by injuries.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 7:23am

Good to hear, thanks for sharing.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 11:05am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

when is blade's contract up?we have had precious little return on our investment and would suggest we look deeper into future signings injury records given that he had a lay off with head problems before.same with cubby ,foxy and patchell the last 3 years have been plagued by injuries.
I believe that Blade will move onto one of the Scottish sides when his contract runs out (we haven’t seen Much of him due to his long layoffs with concussions and his international duties with Scotland.
I’ve already stated that the Castellow signing was probably more to do with the coaches concerns about Patchell’s recent run of injuries.  If Tompkins comes in a well, that will probably to cover Foxy and his injuries.
This coaching setup and board are very conscious of players welfare and making sure that they don’t get rushed back.  They are covering all the bases instead of reacting when things go wrong.
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 11:53am
Blade is a real quandary - when he’s fit , he’s been v good, however his time off with injuries has sadly been far more. I believe he’s 30 plus ?  I wish him well but we have to be careful that we don’t retain players that spend more time off injured rather than playing- it’s not his fault and absolutely no criticism of him but we simply cannot afford to in effect carry injured players. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 11:58am
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

Blade is a real quandary - when he’s fit , he’s been v good, however his time off with injuries has sadly been far more. I believe he’s 30 plus ?  I wish him well but we have to be careful that we don’t retain players that spend more time off injured rather than playing- it’s not his fault and absolutely no criticism of him but we simply cannot afford to in effect carry injured players. 
Blade is 29
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Yea it may seem harsh but don’t think we should try to retain him just too easily concussed too much of a risk with money having to be spent wisely for most rugby teams.
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 1:54pm
To add to whats been said, the fact he's likely to be away with Scotland if fit means I can't see how we justify offering him a new contract. Especially with the depth we have in the back row.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 2:46pm
[QUOTE=stradeyscarlet72]Blade is a real quandary - when he’s fit , he’s been v good, however his time off with injuries has sadly been far more. I believe he’s 30 plus ?  I wish him well but we have to be careful that we don’t retain players that spend more time off injured rather than playing- it’s not his fault and absolutely no criticism of him but we simply cannot afford to in effect carry injured players. [/QUOTE

there is no quandary at all, with his injury record allied to possible Scotland call ups we have to say goodbye and wish him all the best

a good player is no good if he is unavailable for over half the season
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 3:09pm
I’d offer Blade a reduced contract in line with how much he will probably play for us. If he chooses to accept, great, we’d have a quality player for half the season without forking out too much. If he refuses, we thank him for all he’s done for the Scarlets and wish him well for the future, probably with a Scottish team.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 3:10pm
[QUOTE=RR1972][QUOTE=stradeyscarlet72]Blade is a real quandary - when he’s fit , he’s been v good, however his time off with injuries has sadly been far more. I believe he’s 30 plus ?  I wish him well but we have to be careful that we don’t retain players that spend more time off injured rather than playing- it’s not his fault and absolutely no criticism of him but we simply cannot afford to in effect carry injured players. [/QUOTE

there is no quandary at all, with his injury record allied to possible Scotland call ups we have to say goodbye and wish him all the best

a good player is no good if he is unavailable for over half the season
[/QUOT

Spot on mate. Thumbs Up
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 3:21pm
The other issue we should consider as well is the Shingler one.

I am totally biased in this as I believe he should be in the team, he offers more than the others, and his lineout skills are 2nd to none,  but he's not. so with Wainwright, Moriarty & Hill all possibly in front of him, his international career could well be coming to an end, so if that is the case he could be with us far more than he has in the past.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

The other issue we should consider as well is the Shingler one.

I am totally biased in this as I believe he should be in the team, he offers more than the others, and his lineout skills are 2nd to none,  but he's not. so with Wainwright, Moriarty & Hill all possibly in front of him, his international career could well be coming to an end, so if that is the case he could be with us far more than he has in the past.

Your not alone there Dai. The balance in our back row is not right. Our lineout has struggled in both games to give us clean ball. Tipuric is a problem. He is far too good a player to drop but his breakdown work is not up there with other parts of his game. Faletau is working back to full fitness and must be picked so I would select Aaron instead of anyone else at 6. When Navidi is back he should be up against Tips as an out and out 7 or used as cover for all 3 on the bench. Wainwright has not really looked the part since the French quarter final. 

The only alternative to Aaron was suggested by Ffidel - Hill. He would give us some more bulk, decent lineout and intelligence. Is he as good a player as Aaron at lineout time or indeed in the loose is debatable. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic