Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dan Carter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dan Carter
    Posted: 18 December 2014 at 2:14am

The move is now official but more worrying is the salary they are paying

"Carter has inked a three-year deal with the Paris-based club - first revealed by ESPN on Sunday - worth a reported $2 million a season. Racing have been hunting a replacement for Jonny Sexton - who will return to Leinster at the end of the current Top 14 season - and had previously made a play for Toulon's Australian star Matt Giteau. "

Sponsored Links

haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 7:14am
That is crazy money!!

NZ$2m is roughly £1m.

How can one player be worth that much money?

Wasn't Sexton on a reported £700k per season?

Good luck to him though, he may need it!!

Edited by haydn_davies - 18 December 2014 at 7:17am
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 7:29am
thought we'd abandoned the owen Williams chase for a minute then.
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 7:38am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

thought we'd abandoned the owen Williams chase for a minute then.

Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 9:16am
L'Equipe report it as £1.26m a season.

16% of their salary cap on one player.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 9:26am
Can't see any of the Welsh contingent at Racing wanting to come home now - they'll all want to play alongside the 'best first five-eighth in the world' for a season or two.

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 9:27am
I know he is at the top of the PR tree but these sort of obscene payments are bound to raise everyone's financial expections as it goes on and the overall game cannot afford this. Tough times will persist for Wales and the region's I feel.
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 9:30am
He's going to be 34 and broken by the time they sign him too. Utterly ridiculous from Racing Metro.

Edit: He'll be 33, Don't trust Andy Howell's maths.

Edited by KID A - 18 December 2014 at 9:58am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 9:51am
It's a risk for them at that age & after a full season & World Cup, but I guess they'll have considered the magnetic effect he'll have on other players, supporters, sponsors & global PR. Seems like a high cost/low risk move to me, though I think Racing are still RCT wannabes at the moment, without the ability to put it all together on the pitch.

None too shabby replacement for Sexton, mind.

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 9:52am
Low risk?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 10:01am
All things considered, yes. I'm sure they'll have contingency/insurance plans in case he's crocked, but as a statement of intent, the likely transformational effect he'll have and his known top-of-the-top-drawer qualities, it's a managed risk worth taking by one of the richest clubs in the world with designs on toppling Toulon.

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 10:02am
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Can't see any of the Welsh contingent at Racing wanting to come home now - they'll all want to play alongside the 'best first five-eighth in the world' for a season or two.

Not if he's getting 16% of the wage bill, 'cos there won't be enough moolah left to tempt them!Smile
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 10:05am
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

All things considered, yes. I'm sure they'll have contingency/insurance plans in case he's crocked, but as a statement of intent, the likely transformational effect he'll have and his known top-of-the-top-drawer qualities, it's a managed risk worth taking by one of the richest clubs in the world with designs on toppling Toulon.

Sometimes these players in the twighlight of their careers come in and do amazing work on and off the pitch. Your Filo Tiatias and your Tana Umaga etc. I'm just not sure that Dan Carter is one of those. Time will tell, but if his previous stint in France is anything to go by, then Racing better have contingency plans.
jeremy windell View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy windell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 10:55am
This shot was taking from their boardroom just as they were about to seal the deal.....

Go ahead..........Take those banana's
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 11:49am
Ronan O'Gara has already tweeted that the staff won't be getting their Xmas bonuses due to Carter signing.

OwainLlanedi View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OwainLlanedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 12:20pm
They must be absolutely mad. A 33 year old with a horrendous track record of injury.

He's coming for the first season of their new stadium - they must be confident the merch will recoup the cash because he's certainly not a 10 to build a team around in the attritional Top14 at his age,

Edited by OwainLlanedi - 18 December 2014 at 12:52pm
"Er gwaetha pob Dic Siôn Dafydd, Er gwaetha 'rhen Fagi a'i chriw, Byddwn yma hyd ddiwedd amser, A bydd yr iaith Gymraeg yn fyw!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic