Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dan Davies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:33pm
I  would keep Dan Davies without a doubt, I would move someone else on before  him, he is different to the others, a link 7, aka James Davies, but with age and fitness on  his side.
Don't  want it to be another Josh  Adams situation.

Sponsored Links

Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

You cant keep everyone sadly, however it hasn’t always worked out when our youngsters move to the Ospreys. 

I was thinking the same a moment ago when thinking of Boyde at the Blues. He doesn't seem to get the same plaudits as Botham, Robinson etc.

As I mentioned, we seem to excel in producing really promising players but we cannot hope to keep them all on our books. In truth it's no different to any working place, there may be 4 junior members of staff but only 1 senior post. So 1 or 2 junior staff will look to competitors for opportunities to become senior staff. 

Unfortunately it is different to any other work-place:nobody gets a gold watch after 30 years."It's a short career"is a constant refrain when contracts are negotiated,but too often in Wales that seems forgotten.

I meant in terms of career development. Sometimes if you want to progress up the career ladder, you have to look elsewhere.

Yes,in any other work-place the fact that your competitor for a promotion has many years'service can be a trigger to move elsewhere:in professional sport  should it not be an incentive to stay?

As it stands Dan is 4th choice 7 for us behind Macloed, Cubby & Morgan (in no particular order).  If he sees himself as a 7 & that's where he wants to play then he may have to move to get game time. He would probably go straight in at 2nd best behind Tipuric at the Ospreys. 

I'd argue that,at this moment,he's second choice 7,but poor selection at 6 has denied him a chance.

For me, he is behind Macloed & Morgan.
Macleod hasn't been available,and still isn't("at this moment")Dan's been 2nd choice 7 ,but not had a chance.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:40pm

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

You cant keep everyone sadly, however it hasn’t always worked out when our youngsters move to the Ospreys. 

I was thinking the same a moment ago when thinking of Boyde at the Blues. He doesn't seem to get the same plaudits as Botham, Robinson etc.

As I mentioned, we seem to excel in producing really promising players but we cannot hope to keep them all on our books. In truth it's no different to any working place, there may be 4 junior members of staff but only 1 senior post. So 1 or 2 junior staff will look to competitors for opportunities to become senior staff. 

Unfortunately it is different to any other work-place:nobody gets a gold watch after 30 years."It's a short career"is a constant refrain when contracts are negotiated,but too often in Wales that seems forgotten.

I meant in terms of career development. Sometimes if you want to progress up the career ladder, you have to look elsewhere.

Yes,in any other work-place the fact that your competitor for a promotion has many years'service can be a trigger to move elsewhere:in professional sport  should it not be an incentive to stay?

As it stands Dan is 4th choice 7 for us behind Macloed, Cubby & Morgan (in no particular order).  If he sees himself as a 7 & that's where he wants to play then he may have to move to get game time. He would probably go straight in at 2nd best behind Tipuric at the Ospreys. 

I'd argue that,at this moment,he's second choice 7,but poor selection at 6 has denied him a chance.

That really would depend on where Josh wants to play. He has been correctly selected for the Welsh squad due to his outstanding performances at 7. The fantastic impact that Jac Morgan has made will have Dan correctly questioning his future. International/regional rugby at the moment invariably sees the 6 as another lineout option with ideally a carrying 8 and scavenging 7. If that 7 can also carry effectively - Josh & Ollie Griffiths spring to mind in the Welsh game then all the better. 
Not arguing with any of that,but Macleod hasn't been available.I believe,in terms of players currently on the books,our first choice back-row,taking into account all your observations,would be :Macleod,Morgan and Kal.That would leave Kennedy 2nd choice 6,Dan 2nd choice 7and Cassiem for 8(with Tuipolutu assuring the future).Cassiem,Shingler and Cubby,whatever we think of them,are not the future.Maybe Dan is not the future,but accommodating Cassiem at 6 has effectively denied him the chance of pushing his case from the bench.

You are making some big assumptions though Dic. For one will Josh be happy at 6? Secondly how does that line up affect our set piece in particular the lineout? Kennedy, Blade & Aaron are stand out 6's with great lineout skills especially Aaron & Blade. With Josh or Jac at 6 that ability will be lost. Our set piece is struggling as it without taking away a good source of possession. 
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:42pm

That really would depend on where Josh wants to play. He has been correctly selected for the Welsh squad due to his outstanding performances at 7. The fantastic impact that Jac Morgan has made will have Dan correctly questioning his future. International/regional rugby at the moment invariably sees the 6 as another lineout option with ideally a carrying 8 and scavenging 7. If that 7 can also carry effectively - Josh & Ollie Griffiths spring to mind in the Welsh game then all the better. 
Not arguing with any of that,but Macleod hasn't been available.I believe,in terms of players currently on the books,our first choice back-row,taking into account all your observations,would be :Macleod,Morgan and Kal.That would leave Kennedy 2nd choice 6,Dan 2nd choice 7and Cassiem for 8(with Tuipolutu assuring the future).Cassiem,Shingler and Cubby,whatever we think of them,are not the future.Maybe Dan is not the future,but accommodating Cassiem at 6 has effectively denied him the chance of pushing his case from the bench.

You are making some big assumptions though Dic. For one will Josh be happy at 6? Secondly how does that line up affect our set piece in particular the lineout? Kennedy, Blade & Aaron are stand out 6's with great lineout skills especially Aaron & Blade. With Josh or Jac at 6 that ability will be lost. Our set piece is struggling as it without taking away a good source of possession. 

Is the correct answer.
Scarlets before Wales
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:42pm

Do you not see Josh as a lineout option?That's the crux,I think.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:44pm

Macleod hasn't been available,and still isn't("at this moment")Dan's been 2nd choice 7 ,but not had a chance.

If I was able to pick from any of the 7s right now it would be Macloed, Morgan, Davis, Cubby. The issue Dab has, is not many sides will pick an out & out 7 on the bench as back row cover, hence why Cassiem gets the nod more often than not.

I guess the long & short of it is whether Dan feels he can stay here & fight his way up the pecking order, or whether he wants to move to another side & go in there as a bonafide second choice who will play when the first choice is off with their international side. 

stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:44pm
We have to be careful as rumours are out that we’re apparently losing six/seven players in January.  Also Cassiem is going at the end of the season.  
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

We have to be careful as rumours are out that we’re apparently losing six/seven players in January.  Also Cassiem is going at the end of the season.  

Any idea who? From that I guess that most of them would have gone at the end of the normal season had it finished in June, so would have been 6 month extensions?

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:49pm

Yes its an important point. Aaron & Blade and to a lesser extent Kennedy are natural lineout athletes. I do not see Josh in that role but it certainly could be tested. Regions are under huge financial pressures and will be looking at reducing squads to a minimum. Any fat is going to be cut and so I see us losing some players - hooker & back row are areas of strength at the moment. Is it ideal - no but we are not living in an ideal world. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:55pm

Yes its an important point. Aaron & Blade and to a lesser extent Kennedy are natural lineout athletes. I do not see Josh in that role but it certainly could be tested. Regions are under huge financial pressures and will be looking at reducing squads to a minimum. Any fat is going to be cut and so I see us losing some players - hooker & back row are areas of strength at the moment. Is it ideal - no but we are not living in an ideal world. 

Yep.I think Macleod is a fantasticback-row player,comfortable at 6,7 or 8.Restricting his selection to open-side wouldn't be in the best interest of the club or the player.I believe he could do the job in the lineout.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 1:19pm

MacLeod his often used in the lineout.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 1:24pm
I wonder if this talk has started now that we know Shingler is making a come back, I can't have been the only one who heard that he wouldn't be able to train again let alone play...
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 1:32pm
Well we are yet to see Aaron play. He is a favourite of mine and i really hope that he makes a successful comeback. He could give us another couple of very good years as I don't think he will feature for Wales. His lineout work alone make him a shoe in in my selections but I am admittedly biased. As Wales are finding out if you don't get your set piece spot on you can forgot everything else. 

A back row of Aaron, Sione and Josh with Blade on the bench would be my perfect choice. 
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 1:35pm
We need to be keeping Dan, alongside Jac, Josh, Carwyn its a good and young back row in waiting.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 1:48pm

Well we are yet to see Aaron play. He is a favourite of mine and i really hope that he makes a successful comeback. He could give us another couple of very good years as I don't think he will feature for Wales. His lineout work alone make him a shoe in in my selections but I am admittedly biased. As Wales are finding out if you don't get your set piece spot on you can forgot everything else. 

A back row of Aaron, Sione and Josh with Blade on the bench would be my perfect choice. 

In which case we might well end up losing Morgan...
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 1:50pm
It was mentioned recently but didn’t specify who.  Apparently uzair had told his children’s teacher that they were going back to South Africa ?   I hope not as he’s been immense. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic