Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

David Lyons signs for Toulon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 8:31pm

If it is true the money that would be available between lyons and king contracts would be serious amount of cash, i know that them two players are class but it was always going to happen and will keep on happening until we have major money invested in our region.

Sponsored Links

Port Talbot Massive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Port Talbot Massive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 8:31pm
I'd take Lyons leaving, 250-330k a year? for Popham 100-120k a year to be fair.
rolly View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 8:37pm
My main worry would be that we are so skint , the money wouldn't be spent elsewhere . Which i reckon will be the case .
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 8:38pm
Inside information about Lyons

-He has wanted to leave since last Summer
-He believes he was brought in under false pretences of further player investment
-This year he has made a steadily diminishing contribution to training and off field duties
-He is not always as injured as is publicly claimed
-He has actually missed training sessions even when available

I've been fed snippets like this over the last year or so. I've never repeated them before because - well what would have been the point?

Edited by Mike - 16 March 2011 at 12:13am
We're still still here!
rolly View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 8:41pm
The years when we had quinnell , mcbryde , wyatt , etc just seem so long ago .
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 8:42pm
Gutted if true.

Easterby, Daf and Lyons. That's our best backrow gone in what, 15 months?

Add to that Mark Jones and Regan, and no matter how much our youngsters step up, we'll need to recruit some serious quality. Can't see it coming, though.

1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
rolly View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

-He believes he was brought in under false pretences of further player investment
-This year he has made a steadily diminishing contribution to training and off field duties

I've been fed snippets like this over the last year or so. I've never repeated them before because - well what would have been the point?
He probably was as we signed braid and meuwws around the same time i think

Edited by Mike - 16 March 2011 at 12:13am
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 8:47pm
I think it's only been a matter of waiting for the right offer, both for us and Dai. 

The last remnant of the chequebook era!
We're still still here!
swissscarlets View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 9:22pm
If true not good news. Dai Lyons is a class act.
west is best.
Snedds View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snedds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by rolly rolly wrote:

He probably was as we signed braid and meuwws around the same time i think
Kees was the same summer, but Braid was the summer after.

Edited by Mike - 16 March 2011 at 12:14am
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 9:50pm

If a lot of this is true regarding Lyons,it is time for him to go .

Leicester and Perpignan away,I felt Dai went missing in action .

But Dai overall has been a great signing,and I would wish him all the best for the future and thank him for all he has done for the scarlets .

Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 9:56pm
Lyons has been fantastic for us. Skillful, intelligent, and a virtual ever-present in the team. Exactly what you want from a NWQ player.

That said, I think we've probably had the best of him. His form has dipped noticeably this season and he's started picking up niggly joint problems. I'd prefer he stayed, but it won't be a disaster if we lose a 31/32 year old on a contract in excess of £300K. We could get a competent #8 and a quality, grafting lock for that sort of money.
merthyr.T.x.scarlets View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merthyr.T.x.scarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 10:02pm
Devastated if true Thumbs Down for a bloke to come into a club and in his first season start every competitive match and always give his all i salute you Clap 
http://www.youtube.com/user/walesxscarlets
omri jones View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omri jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 10:03pm
Popham may want to join a Welsh region but I see no reason why we would want him if Lyons leaves. He wasn't all that good when in his prime let alone now. He is/was also a players' agent which is a conflict of interests waiting to happen, as he will have to look for the highest monetary returns for the players (and himself). Loyalty will not come into it. What  is happening today with Scott Williams could be multiplied several times over as he would  have inside information. If we don't  go broke matching every outside offer we will lose promising players who we have been nurtured by the club. Far better to go for an experienced but out of favour no8  like Rodney
So'oialo or a young under used regional player like Rory Pitman. You might even get both for Lyons salary. 
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by omri jones omri jones wrote:

Popham may want to join a Welsh region but I see no reason why we would want him if Lyons leaves.

Buh?

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
Jag View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 10:26pm

That's pretty strong stuff, and if true a remarkable turn around from the descriptions of him from Nigel and others.  I recall ND stating that the young back rowers at the club (JT, RM etc) would walk into battle for him, so I'm struggling to accept that such an established professional who proved himself as a leader at the club would start behaving in such a way.

The other points perhaps do ring true, however, and I think he has gone missing once or twice this season.  Shame.

Ymlaen Llanelli!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
  Share Topic